Cashflow Game

W

WebBoard

cashflow game
Date: 03 Sep 2000
Time: 13:00:00

hello On the glowing reports I have had of this game I decided to purchase 101 and 202 (at a cost of over 500 dollars). After playing this game at least 5 times I have to say WHAT A RIP OFF. Am I the only person who thinks this.

The game is fun (so is monopoly), however it has as much relevance in the real world. My main issue is the price. I thought people from this investement forum would be a little more careful with their money. Cashflow 202 is even more of a rip off than 101 (you don't even get a game board). I paid 250 dollars for a few game cards, a video and some audio tapes.

When I pay money for a game thats what I expect, not motivation material. All I can say is that if people here pay for realestate the same premiums they pay for their games they are in trouble. If people here want a sophisticated investement game that is based on real life, (and is also challenging) then I would recommend a game called Stockmarket, it was created in the early 70's and sells for about 40 dollars (is also infinitely more challenging than Cashflow).

For your information, I have 3 IP's. I started when I was 18 and am now 26. I am passionate about investing and enjoy this forum. I think the principles of the maker of Cashflow are relevant, and agree with them. My issue is value for money. Bring the price of the game to 50 dollars (plus another 30 for cashflow 202 playing cards) and I would reccommend it to everyone.

Anyway just my thoughts (just upset I got sucked in). Regards Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wife

Reply: 1

Re: cashflow game
Date: 04 Sep 2000
Time: 08:35:03

Hiya Adam,

I don't think the game was intended for know-it-alls like yourself, more for newcomers to IP I feel. Didn't you get anything out of the game?

I also think it's a matter of marketing, how many families are going to agonise over a $40.00 game?, play it and then stick it in the corner? If they are spending a few hundred dollars, they are serious about getting on with their investing life..right?

WHAT on earth made you buy both 101 and 202 together? You should have tried one first, and lord knows there's hundreds of us playing games around the country. Why didnt you go try before you buy, and joined a game to play before you paid your money?

I hope you didn't buy your IP's that way......You have how many IP's? RK has how many IP's?...gee... RK MUST be doin something right...yeah he is..charging $300 for a game, pretty cheap education for some tho. I think if you're that clued up, you should have known better.

Adam

Reply: 1.1

Time: 14:22:14

hello wife My concern is value for money, at 300 dollars for 101, it is not value for money. The game makes investing in realestate look like childs play, the fact is it isn't.

Take, for example, a 250000 dollar house, fees and charges alone are going to amount to 14000- 19000 depending on what state you live in. Even in a booming market it will take a year to recoupe your money. Do you actually believe that in real life that once you are on the fast track it is that simple that people just throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at you?

It just annoys me that this is marketed as an investment tool when all it is just a bit of fun. Also comparing my acheivements to Robert Kyosakis is impractical simply for the fact he's in his 50s and I am only 26, the best way to compare us is to find out what his assets were when he was 26 then compare us.

I do not like being negative, Most of what Robert Kyosaki says is spot on, however he is not teaching at an investors level, he is a motivational tool rather than an investment tool, and alot of people get that mixed up. I would prefer technical "how its done" information rather than motivational "you can do it" information. (I already know I can do it as I have done it, what I need is technical info on how to refine what I already know). Unfortunately the game does not provide this.

Regards Adam

The Wife

Reply: 1.1.1

Time: 15:00:15

How much do you think RK is going to charge to show you exactly how to refine your IP prowess?....not $300/$500....come on...how much is a really really good seminar? I've heard some people pay up to $5,000.00, and they still come asking basic questions! For 5 grand I would have jumped up and down till I got what I'm asking answered - you get what you pay for!

All that aside, I realise (as the emails have rolled in) that I was a bit snide, I didnt mean to be, I am frequently a bit of an old cow, but not that often am I snide, so I do apologise.

What I get out of playing the game so often, is a lot of interesting ideas, and contacts... I've met people who are mega investors who just LOVE to play, and the knowledge they have passed onto me, has been priceless. Mind you, I did have to go recruiting people to play and I do hold the luncheons, which brings in some awesome people with brilliant ideas.

Also, I've seen people dragged along by spouses, who dont want a bar of investing in anything, have got caught up in the game, and positive atmosphere, and have in turn become more positive in their outlook, and that helps their spouses a hell of a lot.

Actually, in the "Big Deals" is a car wash for sale, it showed its turnover, and I just thought "oh yeah", thats the point of the game, and reading my local paper, what caught my eye?..car wash for sale!! I at least investigated that option, where as previously I would have skipped over it. So cashflow broadened my horizon in that respect... maybe it's the people you're playing with?..where are you? Can you come to a luncheon? or perhaps I can come to you, with a gang of Canberrites, warning tho, we can get pretty wild, and the ideas just increase with a slight measure of beer thrown in. How about it?

[email protected]

Adam

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Time: 16:26:08

Hello Wife I did sense a tiny bit of hostility in your other post, however its obvious you and alot of others get alot out of this game, so me coming along and criticising it is like taking a red rag to a bull, I would love to take you up on the invitation however I'm in Adelaide. If I ever do pass through Canberra I will definitley take you up on your offer.

I have 3 IPs in Adelaide they rent out for 160, 170, and 400 a week. The 400 a week one is my pride and joy I payed 260k for it, its high maintenance though (36sq home on 2 1/2 acre block 15 mins from adelaide cbd) mind you 2 acres of that are almost verticle.

The reason for me buying Ips is so by the time Im 40 I don't have to work if I don't want to, the worst thing that can happen to me now is that in 17 years time I'll have paid off all my debts and have an income of over 700 a week (excluding costs) indexed for the rest of my life. (of course I don't intend stopping at 3 houses). My next step will be to purchase a small block of units (less than 10). I saw a group advertised in Salisbury east (a northern suburb about 30 mins from adelaide cbd), there are 6 1 brm units 3 2brm units 1 3brm unit and a 3 brm house all on 1 title asking 560,000 ROI is 47000 P/A. If only I had the cashflow.

regards Adam

The Wife

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Date: 05 Sep 2000
Time: 15:00:34

Adam:_ My next step will be to purchase a small block of units (less than 10) I saw a group advertised in Salisbury east (a northern suburb about 30 mins from adelaide cbd), there are 6 1 brm units 3 2brm units 1 3brm unit and a 3 brm house all on 1 title asking 560,000 ROI is 47000 P/A. If only I had the cashflow. regards Adam

The Wife:_ Hence, the name of the game CASHFLOW, it kinda teaches you how to get the cashflow.

Ethann

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 10:37:23

I agree with most of what the Wife said. I purchased 101 and have learnt heaps from both the game and the people I have played it with. I have found that the game can teach you in quite subtle ways and I have also found that most people I've played with say that they play the game exactly the way they play in life.

As a footnote, I was talking to a guy at work a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that he had bought the Rich Dad book. I mentioned that I had purchased the Cashflow game. He said "but doesn't that cost about $300 ?" as if he would never take that much of a risk. My take on this is that if you're not willing to spend/risk $300 then you're going to have lots of trouble risking larger amounts.

Robert

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 18:00:08

Adam

Something I always do when starting a game of 101 or 202 is always think of a strategy of how I'm going to play the game ie: forceful, laid back, lame duck etc...

If/When you play the game again think about how you are going to play it. Don't just open the board like you would with Monopoly etc. It is designed for thought and can lead to good ideas.

Let me know how it goes. Robert

Ian W

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Purpose of Cashflow
Date: 06 Sep 2000
Time: 17:07:48

Hi Adam

A similar discussion took place on one of the RDPD forums a while back. Might be worth a look.

One of the postings took my interest so I saved it. Can't remember the name, but I quote the quote..

< Just to share something with you, I have talked to someone who is the business associate of Robert Kiyosaki. He once said that RK created the game .. with one purpose ... create more opportunites .. the exact words from him are as follow:

"..... having the ability to meet and truely get to know other people with similar passions. CashFlow is not just about learning investment techniques, it's about seeing yourself and others as they are today through the game choices they make, and then over time participating in their becoming something more. From that closeness comes friendships. And from those friendships comes opportunities." >

The game has certainly lived up to that quote in my experience..

Ian W

Adam

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Re: Purpose of Cashflow
Date: 07 Sep 2000
Time: 18:26:34

hello Ian From that point of view I would agree, ive only ever played against my own family. Regards Adam

Back