Caveat on new development by family member

Hi all,

I have searched for a similar issue on here but cannot find an answer to my dilemma.

Here goes. I have a property which was demolished and a subdivision torrens title development application has been almost completed. The end result at the moment is two seperate houses built with interim occupancy certificate, though still on one land title as the subdivision cannot yet be completed due to final occupancy not yet being issued due to some outstandinig certificates.

I am the registered owner builder, my brother has a building license and he wanted to construct the properties, basically as a supervisor to the project. He did not not do the building himself, rather employed people to complete different aspects of the construction. He did complete some of the maunal labour though. At the end of the project, before he had handed over certificates to me for final occupancy, he demanded I sign over to him my quarter share in a property of which he half owns and I pay him a sum of money. This arrangement I never agreed to as it was an excessive amount of money. Anyway as a backup he had me sign a stat dec I would pay him moneys for his work on the project, which I do not have an issue with, except sdsome things he said he would do himself, he has not, hence I am subtracting the tradesman costs of those works from his fee. He will not go for this. He also claims he has pulled approximately 5% of the building costs out of his own pocket to pay for contractors and materials. He has been unwilling to subtract from his fee the costs of contractors for works he said he would do in the stat dec but did not do. He is with holding certificates so we cannot get final occupancy. He has now placed a caveat on the property.

My question is, does he have a caveatable interest in the property? THe money he says he put into the project he cannot show receipts for. The moneys owed to him for his services I am happy to pay, but at a reduced rate to reflect works he actually carried out. I am lodging a lapsing notice through my solicitor to remove the caveat.

Sorry I can't advise you on the caveat issue.

Just some advice, to others as well, which has been mentioned so many times.

Family/Friends + Business/Investing = NO !!!

Good luck in sorting it out.

I understand now the implications of the method I went about this development and if I had my time again would not proceed this way. At the end of the day it would have been cheaper and hassle free to have a builder complete the project....not to mention easy to get funds and it would have been finished al least two years ago!

I guess I don't want solid professional advice, that's what solicitors are for. I am wondering if anyone else has been in or seen a similar situation like this and how the caveat might apply or not apply. I should mention this is in NSW.

Last edited:
You mention that you signed over a share of property to him, was this another block?

And what State is the property in?

The property is in NSw.

The other property is completely seperate to the one in which the caveat is on. The caveat is on my property. No one else's name is on the title or mortgage. The other property is a hand me down from parents, brother owns half, I own a quarter, father owns the other quarter.

My share has not been signed over to him. He believed he was entitled to it as his payment. The mention of the other property was simply to demonstrate how this family dealing has gone bad, it is not involved in the caveat.

So basically he was just the builder and there is a dispute over his fees. Was there any profit sharing agreement? any agreements for non-registered mortgages, charges etc in your building contract? If you did, then he could lodge a caveat.

s74f of the Real Property Act
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/rpa1900178/s74f.html
“Any person who, by virtue of any unregistered dealing or by devolution of law or otherwise, claims to be entitled to a legal or equitable estate or interest in land … ” can lodge a caveat

Actually, he may have an equitable interest in the property (even if there was no agreement) due to the fact that he contributed to its improvement.

That is what I thought, in that he may have an interest if he can prove he did in fact invest his own funds. Which he does not have receipts for and which we have asked for.

There is no contractual agreement for his works. THere was no profit sharing agreement or any other type of agreement. He was to be paid like any other contractor.

I don't think he even has to prove that he used his funds. The fact that he physically did the work may be enough.

see also

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/hba1989128/s7d.html
HOME BUILDING ACT 1989 - SECT 7D
Interests in land under contract
7D Interests in land under contract

(1) A contract does not give the holder of a contractor licence or any other person a legal or equitable estate or interest in any land, and a provision in a contract or other agreement is void to the extent that it purports to create such an estate or interest.

(2) Accordingly, the holder of a contractor licence or any other person may not lodge a caveat under the Real Property Act 1900 in respect of an estate or interest prohibited by subsection (1).

(3) However, subsection (1) does not apply to a provision in a contract that creates a charge over land if:

(a) the land the subject of the charge is land on which the contract work is, or is to be, carried out, and

(b) the charge is in favour of the holder of a contractor licence who is a party to the contract, and

(c) the charge is created to secure the payment to the holder of the contractor licence by another party to the contract of money due under the contract, but only if a court or tribunal has made an order or judgment that such payment be made, and

(d) in the case of a charge over land under the Real Property Act 1900 -the party to the contract against whom the judgment or order is made is the registered proprietor of the land.

(4) A charge referred to in subsection (3) over land under the Real Property Act 1900 ceases to operate if the party to the contract against whom the judgment or order is made ceases to be the registered proprietor of the land so charged.

Yeah thanks. The issue being that for him to be paid, we need to refinance since it is an owner builder and you can't borrow funds for construction anymore. In having the caveat, he has made it impossible to pay him. We agree to pay once occupancy has been met since his work has not yet been verified by council to be correct and hance do not have final occupancy. He demands to be paid before occupancy and be waivered from any workmanship claims we might have, this is an issue since we know there are items of his work that will be knocked back by council and would like it passed first. I don't think paying for half a job is wise personally.

The solicitor did not believe there was just cause for a caveat, a notice of lapse was served, it was uncontested.

We have since found out the property is in fact unfinished and will not be certified until amendments are made. The delays have saved me great sums of money! My advice to anyone, never let someone blackmail you, at the end of the day they will end up losing, you just need to be patient!

Just some advice, to others as well, which has been mentioned so many times.

Family/Friends + Business/Investing = NO !!!

Well, I don't know about that - my huge extended family has been heavily involved in property dealings with each other for the last 100 years. I'm not sure that any of them except me has borrowed money from a bank.

Good communication and bullet proof written agreements are the key is seems. Along with some excellent bottles of red.

Back