CBA cuts discounts

Changes in Discounts for Package Home/Investment Home Loan and LOC as from Monday 9 January 2012

In the past 12 months the market has slowed to the lowest credit growth in more than 30 years resulting in fierce competition in home lending leading to price competition. However, in recent times, with uncertainty in global markets, we have seen a substantial increase in funding costs, and this has resulted in a significant squeeze on home loan margins.

With no signs of funding costs easing, the Bank needs to pull back discounts for new loans. As a result, we are reducing discounts from their current abnormally high peaks to levels that more closely aligned with normal settings.

Effective Monday 9 January 2012, we are launching a new special offer for package home/investment home loans and lines of credit. This new offer replaces the previous special delegation discounts advised in Edge 28 July 2011.

This offer is available for loans under Mortgage Advantage Package, from Monday 9 January 2012 until further notice.

Offer summary:
• Only available for new and existing Package holders taking up new borrowings of $100,000 or more (which is new money to the Bank);
• Discounts on the Standard Variable Rate (SVR) and Residential Equity Rate (RER).

Package Discounts off SVR & RER:

Total Home

Lending Balance (TLB)

LVR of New Loan Application

LVR less than

or equal 80%

LVR greater than

80% and less than

or equal to 90%

LVR greater

than 90%

$150,000 to less

than $250,000

0.50%

0.50%

0.50%

$250,000 to less

than $500,000

0.75%

0.70%

0.60%

$500,000 or more

0.80%

0.75%

0.70%

Got to love the CBA.

Decrease discount = new exciting special offer product launch ..... sigh :p
I would if this makes them feel "special" or us mortgage holders...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regards
Michael

So is now a good time to lock in rates in everyone's opinion?

For me personally I would do it now (half at 6% for 3 years and half at 6.xy% for 5 years) just for peace of mind and for 'fear of missing out' if the cost of funding goes up and interest rates don't remain low as a result.

Even if I miss .5% or a little more I get the comfort of locking in at reasonably low rates.

Open to persuasion though from the experts!

For me personally I would do it now (half at 6% for 3 years and half at 6.xy% for 5 years) just for peace of mind and for 'fear of missing out' if the cost of funding goes up and interest rates don't remain low as a result.

Even if I miss .5% or a little more I get the comfort of locking in at reasonably low rates.

Well you have the right mind set to consider a fixed rate.
-peace of mind
-Even if I miss .5% or a little more I get the comfort of locking in at reasonably low rates.

Regards
Michael

It wouldn't bother me if rates were much higher in terms of serviceability; I just don't want to miss out on good rates trying to greedily get great rates if I may get high rates in the near future by not fixing now/soon :p

It's important to keep in mind now what's going to happen when rates actually start going up. Will the banks pass on the rate rises in full or will they add more onto it?

It might be time to start seriously considering getting some commercial bank bill funding for residential securities. If you can secure a good margin then it may help you keep in front during a rising interest rate environment.

It might be time to start seriously considering getting some commercial bank bill funding for residential securities. If you can secure a good margin then it may help you keep in front during a rising interest rate environment.

What the???? like seriously...your suggesting a 90 days bill rate for res??:eek:

1. The bank will ask WTH?
2. App fee ( yes negotiable )
3. You be entering a whole new market where the rate can change quite a bit- and it changes not just based on Aus economy but europ, US etc...
4. Not to mentioned the facility fee or "bank's margin" on this bill will not be that pretty...
5. harder to refinance out back to standard resi (same process, but not acceptable by a few banks- ie credit unions)

If you dont have a good understanding of interest rate markets, interest rate exposure, hedging, cash-flow requirements and only have a average assets to liabilities ratio; then Bank bill may NOT be suitable for you.
and even if you do have the above knowledge it may not be suitable for resi deals...

A Bank bill should only be used where you have a genuine commercial need to manage interest rate risk. ;)

Current bank bill is ~ 5.00-6.5% --- why not jsut fix it at standard resi 5.85% 3 years.....save the hassle- stick with resi lenders if your buying a resi property.

Regards
Michael

Most ppl buying commercial would ask for a resi rate/deal...

Only rarely do we get ask for a commercial type loan for a resi property ( unless it;'s construction, serviceability issues, isues with Val, Property type, income problems, type of set up, company etc...) BUT not to "manage" interest rate.

Standard resi deal = Resi fix it, if anything...

Regards
Michael

It's important to keep in mind now what's going to happen when rates actually start going up. Will the banks pass on the rate rises in full or will they add more onto it?

didnt work so good for RHG (old old rams), Macq and a bunch of others................borrowing short and lending long has liquidity issues. If you dont need the cash then its likely a good outcome

ta

rolf

Wasn't there some resi loans back in the 80s or early 90s that were linked to bank bills?

I vaguely recall something about them being a disaster for many people as they had no comprehension of the risk associated with the product or what mitigants were available.

Comments from anyone who'd at least finished high school back then? :)

didnt work so good for RHG (old old rams), Macq and a bunch of others................borrowing short and lending long has liquidity issues. If you dont need the cash then its likely a good outcome

ta

rolf

OK for resi construction + unique short term lend- but another then that- blah i hate it with a passion unless it's for comm use.

Regards
Michael

OK for resi construction + unique short term lend- but another then that- blah i hate it with a passion unless it's for comm use.

Regards
Michael

I think you got some good points there Michael. But it is food for thought. I used comm bank bills for 2 of my residential properties pre-GFC at 1% margin. Now still paying 5% p.a :)

But my loans were quite substantial so I got the best margin. These days it's hard to get a good margin over BBSW because of the GFC etc. But I don't think we can totally discount it for resi loans.

Back