CBI#4 "21 problems with the 21st century"

Thinking about several recent "whinge" threads, I've come with Crazy business Idea No. 4. It's a book written by 21 authors. I've even got a catchy title, so we are halfway there: "21 problems with the 21st century by 21 Authors.

Each of the 21 chapters would be written by an expert in the field. Topics would not include those that have clear opposing views, but stick to topics that have a clear majority view.

I'm not into book writing or publishing, but I'm sure a book like this if written and marketed right would be a best seller.

I'll start and you can all add, might have to merge some topics to limit to 21 or stretch some out if we need to.

1. Over-government, too much bureaucracy, redtape, etc

2. Western diets - too much fat, sugar, high GI, etc (I think that most diet fads could be summarised quite easily)

3. Kids are distracted by TV, Internet, Video Games, Etc (living in a fantasy world) and that makes them easily bored.

4. Selfishness - consideration for others has gone out the window.

5. Victimisation - eg. blaming someone else for everything that goes wrong

Ok, I'm out of ideas. The 5 above probably cover 90% of problems that we have.

Thinking about several recent "whinge" threads, I've come with Crazy business Idea No. 4. It's a book written by 21 authors. I've even got a catchy title, so we are halfway there: "21 problems with the 21st century by 21 Authors.

Each of the 21 chapters would be written by an expert in the field. Topics would not include those that have clear opposing views, but stick to topics that have a clear majority view.

I'm not into book writing or publishing, but I'm sure a book like this if written and marketed right would be a best seller.

I'll start and you can all add, might have to merge some topics to limit to 21 or stretch some out if we need to.

1. Over-government, too much bureaucracy, redtape, etc

2. Western diets - too much fat, sugar, high GI, etc (I think that most diet fads could be summarised quite easily)

3. Kids are distracted by TV, Internet, Video Games, Etc (living in a fantasy world) and that makes them easily bored.

Ok, I'm out of ideas. The 5 above probably cover 90% of problems that we have.

6. Cocooning - having one's own private service or facility instead of participating in community services and facilities (eg own pool)

7. Affluenza - the belief that having more 'stuff' will make you happy

8. The death of common sense, and allowing people to come up with all sorts of bizarre excuses for Why They Failed.

Anyone else?

Anyone else?

9. Government induced dependency/malaise - where welfare recipients earn the same or more on welfare than if they were to go out and work (the able bodied that is). Generational welfare recipients getting paid to have children.

10. Increased taxes - tax those greedy, thieving, rich b******* that invest/work jobs even more.

11. Crime - the ending of 'If you do the crime, you do the time'. Now it's 'If you do the crime, what good will time achieve'.

12. Lawyers - say no more (one for Dazz).

14. social networking sites;

"I just went to the toilet, now I'm going back to watch TV"

"I just poked you".

:rolleyes:

But hey; I'm a sociophobic, so whaddya expect? :D

15. Lack of respect for the law enforcement people, and their inability (now) to give some hoon a bloody good whack behind the ear.

16. Big Hat No Cattle :rolleyes: ..........I have no net worth but hey, I look rich to all the people I can't stand and who can't stand me :cool:

17. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, but I can't, or rather I won't.....

18. Fear of having a go, doing stuff yourself (hence most people are less skilled at cooking, mechanics etc than previous generations)

19. Believe that you know best/Unwillingness to take others' advice/get an expert to do it (the obverse of 18 above)

20. The 'don't wanna know as it wasn't invented here' syndrome

21. The cargo cult / cultural cringe - ie 'fully imported' is used as a praise or it must succeed in London or New York before it's accepted here (the obverse of 20 above)

22. Children (and others) being too trusting of strangers

23. 'Stranger danger' turning society against itself - especially children inward against adults outside their family (the obverse of the above and related to coocooning previously mentioned)

24. Intolerance/bigotry/racism

25. Tolerance and liberalism that extends so widely that it ends up destroying itself by tolerating the intolerable or oppressive in the name of freedom/tolerance/diversity/multiculturalism (to some extent the obverse of the above)

26. The disconnectedness of people from the consequences of their actions/habits/lifestyles. Eg a girl protesting at a carbon reduction rally was recently interviewed. The interviewer (Jon Faine) asked why wasn't she at school. She said she was flying to Japan tomorrow. The interviewer asked if she knew if this used resources or affected her carbon footprint. She had no idea despite the topic of her protest.

Oops - now over 21. You're now going to have to pick and choose.

This isn't a Jamie McIntyre project isn't it?

Looks like it's gonna have to be a book set GG.

25 is it-political correctness, I mean for crying out bloody loud :eek:

26 - Pinching OA's term here - "the fun police ", loosen the hell up Australia , learn how to party and enjoy again.
It's just mind boggling at what we use to "just do" but that is now either an epidemic , frowned upon , a locking up offense , outlawed or whatever else they can dream up. I wanna go to Rio ,
"no worries" needs to come home again. Using the expression now seems to be against the law these days .

27 - building a house 40yrs ago in this country as compared to building one now. Not that I'd know 40 yrs ago but I could imagine .
Councils - they should be against the law and so should the fees they dream up .

Better stop here , leave some room in the book for the others :(

Cheers

PS , didn't think much of idea 3 sorry GG, I've had enough of nationalizing Australia .

Last edited:
....due to Weg stealing my whinge with point 12....:), I'll have to come up with another ;

28. Things are made to break. Make me something out of stone, thick wood, thick leather hide or steel....and I'll happily pay over the top for it as I will know I'll be able to pass it onto my grandchildren in good condition. Make me something out of plastic, or relies on a plastic component, and I know I'll be replacing it 2 weeks after the 6 month warranty expires. That ain't cheaper in the long run.

....due to Weg stealing my whinge with point 12....:), I'll have to come up with another ;

28. Things are made to break. Make me something out of stone, thick wood, thick leather hide or steel....and I'll happily pay over the top for it as I will know I'll be able to pass it onto my grandchildren in good condition.

Sidchrome tools were once like that...............................now wed call that low carbon footprint :)

ta
rolf

Here is a subject that comes to mind

"Work safety gone mad"

Just because some safety idiot wants to have a job we'll all have to put up with unecessary safety measures and at significant and ongoing company expense.
Now we have to get a white (green) card for the accountants who work in the office and we're not on a building site and they don't go to building sites either....:confused:

Are you going to get the 21 Authors to buy 1000 copies each to pay for the printing costs?

Perhaps the 21 authors might write for free. The writers incentive will be that people will buy the books that expand on their topics. As for printing, how does this work. I assume that if a publisher has faith in your book then they pay the printing and distribution costs. If you can't find a publisher and you think you're still onto a best seller then you pay the printing costs, etc.

18. Fear of having a go, doing stuff yourself (hence most people are less skilled at cooking, mechanics etc than previous generations)

19. Believe that you know best/Unwillingness to take others' advice/get an expert to do it (the obverse of 18 above)

20. The 'don't wanna know as it wasn't invented here' syndrome

21. The cargo cult / cultural cringe - ie 'fully imported' is used as a praise or it must succeed in London or New York before it's accepted here (the obverse of 20 above)

22. Children (and others) being too trusting of strangers

23. 'Stranger danger' turning society against itself - especially children inward against adults outside their family (the obverse of the above and related to coocooning previously mentioned)

24. Intolerance/bigotry/racism

25. Tolerance and liberalism that extends so widely that it ends up destroying itself by tolerating the intolerable or oppressive in the name of freedom/tolerance/diversity/multiculturalism (to some extent the obverse of the above)

You've obviously been reading my mind for my second book. It's called "On the Other Hand"

It is a book full of those little one liner philosophies. And goes some thing like this:
Page 1. Too many Cooks spoil the broth on the other hand Many Hands make light work
Page 2. Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves on the other hand Penny wise and pound foolish

You've obviously been reading my mind for my second book. It's called "On the Other Hand"

It is a book full of those little one liner philosophies. And goes some thing like this:
Page 1. Too many Cooks spoil the broth on the other hand Many Hands make light work
Page 2. Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves on the other hand Penny wise and pound foolish

How about

Page 3. Absence make the heart grow fonder on the other hand out of sight out of mind .

Only the first to be quoted to anyone having a long distance relationship.

:D

Best seller by default

Perhaps the 21 authors might write for free. The writers incentive will be that people will buy the books that expand on their topics. As for printing, how does this work. I assume that if a publisher has faith in your book then they pay the printing and distribution costs. If you can't find a publisher and you think you're still onto a best seller then you pay the printing costs, etc.

Get a print run for the orders that the authors have guaranteed and voila printing paid as Ned has alluded to (by your contributors) and your book will become (or nearly become) a best seller for free. :rolleyes:

You will write the intro chapter or preface and with others doing the work, your (author) cred has been enhanced with little effort and cost. Think Dale Beaumont and the Secrets Exposed Series he concocted.

Of course if the contents are rubbish, you've hedged your (financial) position by having others meet initial print run costs and as far as credibility......change your pen name :D

PS , didn't think much of idea 3 sorry GG, I've had enough of nationalizing Australia .

You're refering to too much TV, Internet, etc. We are becoming Americanised. In that regard we are no different to Kansas. Our TV influence is East Coast and West Coast USA, and we have less local influence.

If kids watched Blinky Bill all day that is still a problem, which is that they are overstimulated and living in a fantasy world. Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U&feature=share

Looks like it's gonna have to be a book set GG.

Won't be a problem, I'll narrow them down:

1. Over-government - too much bureaucracy, redtape, etc
(12) Lawyers - say no more (one for Dazz).
I think government is the cause of lawyers or lawyers are the cause of government or are they the same thing? GG.
(10) Increased taxes - tax those greedy, thieving, rich b******* that invest/work jobs even more.
(26) - Pinching OA's term here - "the fun police ", loosen the hell up Australia , learn how to party and enjoy again.
It's just mind boggling at what we use to "just do" but that is now either an epidemic , frowned upon , a locking up offense , outlawed or whatever else they can dream up. I wanna go to Rio ,
"no worries" needs to come home again. Using the expression now seems to be against the law these days .
(27) - building a house 40yrs ago in this country as compared to building one now. Not that I'd know 40 yrs ago but I could imagine .
Councils - they should be against the law and so should the fees they dream up .
"Work safety gone mad"
Just because some safety idiot wants to have a job we'll all have to put up with unecessary safety measures and at significant and ongoing company expense.
Now we have to get a white (green) card for the accountants who work in the office and we're not on a building site and they don't go to building sites either....

3. Kids are overstimulated - TV, Internet, Video Games, Etc (living in a fantasy world) and that makes them easily bored.
Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U&feature=share
(14) social networking sites; "I just went to the toilet, now I'm going back to watch TV" "I just poked you".

(9) Government induced dependency/malaise - where welfare recipients earn the same or more on welfare than if they were to go out and work (the able bodied that is). Generational welfare recipients getting paid to have children.
(11) Crime - the ending of 'If you do the crime, you do the time'. Now it's 'If you do the crime, what good will time achieve'.
(15) Lack of respect for the law enforcement people, and their inability (now) to give some hoon a bloody good whack behind the ear.

6. Cocooning - having one's own private service or facility instead of participating in community services and facilities (eg own pool)
(23) 'Stranger danger' turning society against itself - especially children inward against adults outside their family (the obverse of the above and related to coocooning previously mentioned)

7. Affluenza - the belief that having more 'stuff' will make you happy

8. The death of common sense - and allowing people to come up with all sorts of bizarre excuses for Why They Failed.
(26) The disconnectedness of people from the consequences of their actions/habits/lifestyles. Eg a girl protesting at a carbon reduction rally was recently interviewed. The interviewer (Jon Faine) asked why wasn't she at school. She said she was flying to Japan tomorrow. The interviewer asked if she knew if this used resources or affected her carbon footprint. She had no idea despite the topic of her protest.

9. (13) Tall poppy syndrome - Is this only an Aussie problem. If this book is to sell it has to sound like it was written in America. GG.

10. Keeping up With the Jones - Egos, etc.
(16) Big Hat No Cattle ..........I have no net worth but hey, I look rich to all the people I can't stand and who can't stand me

11. Laziness
(17) Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, but I can't, or rather I won't.....
(18) Fear of having a go, doing stuff yourself (hence most people are less skilled at cooking, mechanics etc than previous generations)Some of this could be related to Overgovernment. GG.

12. Cultural Clashes
(24) Intolerance/bigotry/racism
(25) Tolerance and liberalism that extends so widely that it ends up destroying itself by tolerating the intolerable or oppressive in the name of freedom/tolerance/diversity/multiculturalism (to some extent the obverse of the above)
(25) is it-political correctness, I mean for crying out bloody loud

13. Lack of Quality
(28) Things are made to break. Make me something out of stone, thick wood, thick leather hide or steel....and I'll happily pay over the top for it as I will know I'll be able to pass it onto my grandchildren in good condition. Make me something out of plastic, or relies on a plastic component, and I know I'll be replacing it 2 weeks after the 6 month warranty expires. That ain't cheaper in the long run.

14. Mistrust of Government - Conspiracy theories, etc. Referring to people who disagree with vaccinating their kids, fluridated water, preservatives in food, GM food, etc. There is a fine line between this and over-government and indeed the two could be related.

Uncategorised - I don't think the topics below are 'big' 21st century problems. I'm not sure if they fit in any categories above or do they need a new category?
(20) The 'don't wanna know as it wasn't invented here' syndrome
(21) The cargo cult / cultural cringe - ie 'fully imported' is used as a praise or it must succeed in London or New York before it's accepted here (the obverse of 20 above)
(22) Children (and others) being too trusting of strangers

We're probably the most fortunate country in this world right at this moment though.

So let me add just one more . . .

26. People who don't know when they've got it better than good

Okay. Fire!

Back