Ceiling Plaster repair advice please

Morning All.
I am renovating our kitchen and we have to remove the cornice from around the wall/overhead cabinets
We have removed some of it and have discovered the exhaust fan air was blowing into this cavity above the cupboards below the ceiling. Aparently this is common paractice in a 2 story home.
Now as the new cabinets will be 5 cm less in depth l will have to repair this bit of ceiling as the cornice is not going to be put back.
The ceiling has been soaking up the greace and fat particls from the exhaust air and is peeling . Its not damp.
If l peel back this damaged surface paper then very neatly fill and sand that area then seal it prior to painting will that do the job properly?

Reall apreciate any advice here. Painter where are you?

cheers
yadreamin

G'day Yadreamin',

Geez, don't envy you with this one.

Rather than peeling back, filling & painting.....is it possible to cut the oil soaked section out (say in a rectangle / square).....then replace with a new piece and flush it in?

This shouldn't be too difficult and would definitely give a cleaner finish if flushed, sanded & painted properly.

I'm just thinking of the potential for residual oil to to cause the new paintwork to peel some time down the track. Also, trying cut-in the new paintwork to the old may see visible colour variation depending onlighting etc.

Hope it's a quick & easy one regardless!

Ian.

Thanks Ian, its not oil soaked its just yellowed/brown. its really very dry.
I might try a small area of filling sanding sealing painting to see how it goes.
all up its a 5 cm strip around the top of the cabinets. l reckon it would be just as much work if not more to cut out and replace.
I am selling the place when all the work has been done.
cheers

Yadreamin, ..... does the cavity above your cupboards sit or lead to an outside wall? I had this problem on a current reno I'm doing. The kitchen was downstairs and I wanted to install a range-hood unit. I bought a unit that had an external motor and ran the ducting along the top of the cupboards and through the side wall to the outside. This is just a thought.

Oh yes, ..... I ripped out the kitchen and replaced the ceiling. If you would like the link to the external range hood mob just let me know and I'll post it.

Mystery

No cannot do external fan l am able to pipe it into a rather large roof cavity/bulk hood. the fan is not my concern its how should l repair / prepare the ceiling that will now be exposed by about 5 cm.
l have been just shaving away with a very big knife and its going quite well. l should be able to then fill and sand. seal and paint. [hope so]
cheers

Back