Centrelink benefits

yeah them poor low income families or families with actual disabilities how dare they get a handout btw when we had our first child we got $700 baby bonus and missed out on the other extra payments as our child was born in 2000 not everyone spends money on alchol holidays etc actual most single mothers I know are paying bills etc which they were struggling with before, you know paying up those waste things like phones electricity, and yes I was on disability so I have a right to whinge as I worked from 12yr old untill I had injury when I was 21 now I also don't get the hand out made possible from investing as we earn to much but I know some others that are really struggling and I am happy they are getting a bit of a help there will always be the bludgers who will go and spend up on alc/hol/waste products but remember their are those who legitmatley are very thankful for what happened my wifes cousin is one of them he is in a wheel chair and hasn't been able to do much since he was born with a a problem with his hands and legs and always in casts before going to the wheel chair only young but he can't work he gets around $350 a fortnight has to share and doesnt usually have anything left so he paid all his bills up with the handout, then I have other mates that work bloody hard like qualified butchers have 3 kids to support and there base wage is $600 a week they work 4yrs first 3yrs on a low income to get a measly $600 a week base wage, I would say this person who has stuck to a butcher Apprenticeship for 4yrs and stays on a low wage doing bloody hard work such as breaking beef cuts and putting up with the general public having a whinge sometimes when the cut aint just right, sure as hell worked is guts out to get a kick in the guts as some of his mates go and earn up to 100k a yr with no qualifications and get 5 days off so yep I am bloody greatful that some people I know are getting the $950 handout as they need it alot more then we do, don't forget where you came from.

Yeah, is that right? Well four of my mates are getting the handouts, as well as these four mates getting the previous hand outs. In order, they did the following with the money.

1. Went into the bank
2. Went to Merimbula for a holiday
3. Bought a spanker LCD 50 inch TV
4. Bought an air gun

None of them used it to pay bills or help their families because they were struggling. That's because they get by and manage their current incomes. If they go out and splurge and max their credit cards when they can't afford to, sorry, it's their fault not mine. You call this struggling, pfft.

But yes, I agree, "some" people need it. Perhapsh the Government should have spent more time identifying who really needed it, instead of putting each Australian in over $9k debt.

Actually, that's not quite right. You are correct in saying that the 50% rebate is not means tested, BUT, you have to qualify for the CCB to be eligible. So, given we do not qualify for the CCB, we don't get 50% rebate. It's a little confusing, actually misleading. Typical of the Rudd Government.

Do you miss out based on the work/study criteria? We have a 0% CCB entitlement but do get the 50% out of pocket rebate.

Actually, that's not quite right. You are correct in saying that the 50% rebate is not means tested, BUT, you have to qualify for the CCB to be eligible. So, given we do not qualify for the CCB, we don't get 50% rebate. It's a little confusing, actually misleading. Typical of the Rudd Government.

To qualify you need to be using your time in an approved way such as working or studying. It is not means tested. If you are found to be eligible but your income is too high to receive any CCB payments you will be deemed as eligible for zero and this will entitle you to 50% rebate. I am 100% sure of this.

To qualify you need to be using your time in an approved way such as working or studying. It is not means tested. If you are found to be eligible but your income is too high to receive any CCB payments you will be deemed as eligible for zero and this will entitle you to 50% rebate. I am 100% sure of this.

Hmmm, interesting. I will follow that up Anna. I had an accountant point out to me that I wasn't eligible at all. But what you are saying makes sense. Thanks!

I am assuming you are doing the same if you are 100% sure of this?

Hmmm, interesting. I will follow that up Anna. I had an accountant point out to me that I wasn't eligible at all. But what you are saying makes sense. Thanks!

I am assuming you are doing the same if you are 100% sure of this?

There is no ambiguity about this. The accountant is simply wrong. Regardless of what your income is, as long as you meet the Work, Training or Study requirements, you are entitled to the rebate.

As I said before, we have 0% CCB entitlement but are in receipt of the quarterly Child Care Tax Rebate.

There is no ambiguity about this. The accountant is simply wrong. Regardless of what your income is, as long as you meet the Work, Training or Study requirements, you are entitled to the rebate.

As I said before, we have 0% CCB entitlement but are in receipt of the quarterly Child Care Tax Rebate.

This one has baffled both me and my wife too regarding the 50% rebate. My wife is a stay at home Mum (2 kids under 3). One is in childcare two days a week and I cannot get CCB entitlement.

Regarding the work, training, study requirements, my wife is paid $200 p.w. from my trust which is declared each year to the ATO for book keeping and maintaining all the records for our properties. Would this qualify for their work requirements?

I do not issue payslips, etc from the trust and my wife is also a director of the trustee company!

One is in childcare two days a week and I cannot get CCB entitlement.

This is the thing that I quite didn't understand. You get zero entitlements for CCB, but you still get the 50% rebate on out of pocket child care payments. Well to me was ambiguos, but it's starting to make more sense now.

Yeah, is that right? Well four of my mates are getting the handouts, as well as these four mates getting the previous hand outs. In order, they did the following with the money.

1. Went into the bank
2. Went to Merimbula for a holiday
3. Bought a spanker LCD 50 inch TV
4. Bought an air gun

None of them used it to pay bills or help their families because they were struggling. That's because they get by and manage their current incomes. If they go out and splurge and max their credit cards when they can't afford to, sorry, it's their fault not mine. You call this struggling, pfft.

But yes, I agree, "some" people need it. Perhapsh the Government should have spent more time identifying who really needed it, instead of putting each Australian in over $9k debt.

yes agreed instead of just handing it out to everyone but we all know the goverment hires brainless monkey's.:D

For those that still disbelieve apply for CCB and watch the system do it's magic.

You are eligible but due to income levels your entitlement is zero. Don't think about it too much or your head will implode :eek:)

Cale, if your wife is working (she sure is with 3 kids I'd say, hah!) and you could prove it to the tax office - if you ever got audited - then yes, she just needs to log into the family assist web site and make sure her info is all set up and she answers the questions to pass the Work/Train/Study test (all done over the internet) . Check with your accountant if you're not sure.

Can I ask does she pay tax given she is over the $6000 a year (on $200 a week) and does she pay some into her superannuation? If so does she get the $1500 co-contribution from the gov? Sorry to be nosy, just curious.

Back to you, remember she needs to get registered for the CCB even if it's for 0 so you are on the system. Doing all this is worth it for 50% back. Makes the cost almost reasonable ;)

Cale, if your wife is working (she sure is with 3 kids I'd say, hah!) and you could prove it to the tax office - if you ever got audited - then yes, she just needs to log into the family assist web site and make sure her info is all set up and she answers the questions to pass the Work/Train/Study test (all done over the internet) . Check with your accountant if you're not sure.

Can I ask does she pay tax given she is over the $6000 a year (on $200 a week) and does she pay some into her superannuation? If so does she get the $1500 co-contribution from the gov? Sorry to be nosy, just curious.

Back to you, remember she needs to get registered for the CCB even if it's for 0 so you are on the system. Doing all this is worth it for 50% back. Makes the cost almost reasonable ;)

I can prove to the tax office that she is earning money. When I spoke to my accountant, he forwarded a link to me which indicates that they assess due to hours, not income. Minimum of 15 hrs per week, or 30hrs per fortnight. This is a bit hard to determine though.

I spoke to my wife and she has registered for CCB with zero entitlement already. We do not do PAYG tax, as this will be sorted out at tax time where she will end up paying no tax, due to low income offset, etc.

We also have not paid any other money into her super other than a spouse contribution which I made, but if required happy to pay super on the income she is earning.

I have emailed the family assistance office (as their number is forever engaged) to request more information regarding this.

I finally got through to the Family Assistance office and they said that our situation passes the work, study, training test even though we cannot determine the hours my wife puts in.

They are backdating all our child care and are putting an amount into my wifes account for about $650 and all future child care will also get the rebate. WOO HOO!!

Also, our old child care has not given all the info to the FA office, so we need to get onto them and more money should be coming our way

Good stuff! I honestly couldn't see them failing your wife with the work test thingo. And remember you are keeping the childcare business ticking over too so it all swings around.

Glad you've got some extra cash coming your way. I'm in a similar situation as your wife and truly know what WORK is with kids and all the extra piled on top. she (and you) deserve some of the tax you shell out.

Happy for you! good work :)

Getting back to FTB calculations, i made a little spreadsheet to estimate what someone could get via the FTB system, see attached.

It currently assumes that each kid you have is 5yo or below. It can factor in rent assistance too if applicable.

Feel free to use, but remember that it is not financial advice etc, just something i put together for my own purposes.

Attachments

• FTB estimate.xls
    26 KB · Views: 84
Investing loss is added to your income!

The strangest thing I found out about centrelink and gov payments is that if you have losses from investments they add your losses to your income to work out your "centrelink" income which they then use to work out your entitlements.

This is at the top of my list of odd, weird and why do they do that stuff.

Guess what all of our investments now just seem to generate between $0 and $100 per year on paper. Funny how these things work! It is getting harder so we might not be able to keep it at that level for much longer. Oh well no one ever went broke making a profit.

Cheers
Graeme

The strangest thing I found out about centrelink and gov payments is that if you have losses from investments they add your losses to your income to work out your "centrelink" income which they then use to work out your entitlements.

This is at the top of my list of odd, weird and why do they do that stuff.

Guess what all of our investments now just seem to generate between $0 and $100 per year on paper. Funny how these things work! It is getting harder so we might not be able to keep it at that level for much longer. Oh well no one ever went broke making a profit.

Cheers
Graeme

This is about to change...if the legislations passes. From July 1 all investment losses, property or otherwise will be used to calculate not only centrelink but medicare levy, hecs repayments etc.

Actually, just did some research on this, as we are just about to have our 2nd child.

For us, not good. Not only do we lose the $5k baby bonus that we were entitled to under the Howard Government, but we also are not entitled to any child care benefits under the Rudd Government. But I'm happy, our hard earned dollars are being shelled out via the $52 billion bailout to low-income families who can now spend on alcohol, holidays, etc. Bit harsh, I know, but geez you work all your life to get ahead of the pack, and you get a kick in the guts.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/EarlyChildhood/OfficeOfEarlyChildhood/cctr/Pages/ChildCareTaxRebate.aspx

actually you are a ahead by alot if u own over 100k a year why would it be a kick in the gut if your much better off then majority of population ?? i say australia is more of a realistic communism then capital, i think thats still fair at end of the day u dont have as many people on the street doing crime and such compared to say USA. lets look at the bigger picture and the outa squares that we live in.

Back