CGT cost base question

CGT cost base reset - section 118-192?

Hi folks,

Say I have a PPR but I 'did not move in as soon as practicable', say I waited a month before moving in from my rental. So I would say I don't have 'full exemption'.

In 5 years I move out of that PPR and then rent it out. Will the CGT cost base reset to market value as per section 118-192?

(http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/itaa1997240/s118.192.html)

Or does it not apply because I don't have full exemption when it is rented out?

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Say I have a PPR but I 'did not move in as soon as practicable', say I waited a month before moving in from my rental. So I would say I don't have 'full exemption'.

In 5 years I move out of that PPR and then rent it out. Will the CGT cost base reset to market value as per section 118-192?

(http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/itaa1997240/s118.192.html)

Or does it not apply because I don't have full exemption when it is rented out?
Section 118-192 does not apply. However, you should be able to include in your cost base rates, interest etc that you have not been able to claim as a tax deduction even during the period you are residing in it

Ok - so I assume that's because I did not 'move in as soon as practicable'.

What happened is that I spent probably 2 weeks renovating the house before I moved in since it was in pretty bad condition (broken windows, broken doors etc). I was renting an apartment while that happened. I had electricity etc already under my name from the start.

Does that count as 'moving in as soon as practicable'?

Did you have another PPOR or only living in the rental? If this is your only property, for all intents and purposes you could prove that you moved in (power/water is in your name, address on bills/licence etc).

Is this for FHBG or Just CGT issues?

No other property, this was our joint first. This is mostly about CGT and the base cost reset, since in the future we might subdivide into 2-3 rentals. which may then be sold.

Back