Chatroom / WebBoard forum 2 years old today !

Sim

Administrator
Do you get the feeling I like statistics ? :p

Well, for those of you who care - the old WebBoard forum was officially launched 2 years ago today by Ian Somers.

Actually, the first post was Feb 26th 2001 - a test message by Ian, but he didn't publish the link until March 1st.

If you want to see that first thread started by Ian - here is the link !

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4132#post4132

You may also want to go a browse through some of the earliest threads from the WebBoard forum - some interesting stuff there. If you sort the archive view "last post time" in "ascending" order, from "the beginning" - then you will get some of the oldest posts from WebBoard. Alternatively, just click on this link which should give you the same thing: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/for...astpost&sortorder=asc&daysprune=1000&x=11&y=8

So this means that the chatroom is officially 2 years old today as well, since it was the WebBoard software that allowed us to have such a facility.

For the curious, I have been maintaining statistics on the chatroom for a while now, and you can see them all laid out in full colour at my website http://stats.hampel.com.au/

I have just done a "special" stats run showing statistics covering the entire 2 years of logs. I normally don't do this because it takes so long for the program to process it all - but I figured this was a special occasion ! You can see these logs at http://stats.hampel.com.au/all.html

Interestingly, it seems as though Boyler_Room has just topped the 100,000 lines mark - well done BR ! The top 10 line writers in the chatroom over the last 2 years have been:

01. [100,493] Boyler_Room
02. [ 88,494] asy
03. [ 55,201] Ruby
04. [ 46,489] Sim
05. [ 36,681] The_Wife (not a regular anymore :( )
06. [ 34,998] Phil_H
07. [ 32,593] Rolf_Latham
08. [ 29,314] Deve
09. [ 23,055] Waverly_Bay
10. [ 21,632] GoAnna

The next top line writers are: see_change, Michele_B, Rixter, muppie, Rob, watto, Jax, Rick_Gibson, Kellie, and rossv

For those of you who look at the stats and wonder where I find the time to do all this, if you look carefully on the stats pages (down the bottom), you will find some information about the software I use to generate them. Once I had set up the configuration to generate things the way I wanted, it becomes very easy to just run the program every so often to update the stats. So it doesn't actually take much time at all :D

Another bit of useless information for you... I estimate that within the next 2 months we will hit 1 million lines of chat !!

Hiya bbruham,

I think the best example of going from view.. to do.. would come from the post just above yours.

Hiya Geoff :)

Now if Sim can use some of those stats to work out Geoff's time in the old forum/posts.....to his time in the new forum/posts.

Then we need to look at the time Geoff spent in the chat room, pre the new forum and post the new forum.

Then we can work out Geoff's new LVR ;)

Cheers

Phil

Hi all,

Nothing new to add...

Just Thank You to Sim' and the Somers' for providing such a wonderful avenue for bettering our investment knowledge.

Enjoy all,

Jamie :D

Originally posted by Phil_H
Hiya Geoff :)

Now if Sim can use some of those stats to work out Geoff's time in the old forum/posts.....to his time in the new forum/posts.

Then we need to look at the time Geoff spent in the chat room, pre the new forum and post the new forum.

Then we can work out Geoff's new LVR ;)
FCR (Forum Chat Ratio).

Then relate it to the AWF (Angry Wife Factor) :D

I think my FCR is back above 1 now (more forum than chat), but the AWF is edging up a little. Must do something about that. After I finish posting I think I might. :D

Wow...

Has this only been going 2 years...

How amazing.

I know it has changed my life, and I thank the Somers' for making the forum possible, and also all the friends I have made through the forum... (you know who you are, and if I start naming names I will forget someone, so I won't)...

I can't remember the first time I logged on to the forum (Sim's stats machine probably does!!), but I know that I havent looked back since!

Thanks again to the Somers', and to Sim for his time and effort...

And to all my friends here..

/me hands out the cyberchampagne!!

asy :D

Don't forget that the forum has been around for even longer than this - the original forum was a hand-crafted thing of beauty that got us all going (I came in during the last 6 months of that forum). We out-grew it of course and then Ian moved us to WebBoard.

So the forum has been around longer - it's just the chatroom and WebBoard which is now 2 years old.

Originally posted by asy
I know it has changed my life, and I thank the Somers' for making the forum possible, and also all the friends I have made through the forum... (you know who you are, and if I start naming names I will forget someone, so I won't)...
Didn't you meet your partner in the chatroom? It most certainly would have changed your life- just in case anyone thought you were exaggerating.

There can't be that many couples who met through a Property investment forum?

Gee thanks geoffw, now people are going to think it's either a sleazy pickup chatroom - or just a bunch of lonely-hearters looking for love. :D

Originally posted by geoffw
Didn't you meet your partner in the chatroom?

I DID!!

It is really a sleazy pickup joint as Sim said.. ;)

I have met my life partner, my business partner, and some of my best friends in the chatroom...

My last birthday party (in MEL) was testament to the bonds wrought within that chat room, there were forumites from all over Melbourne, and TW from CBR, MB from ADL, and a surprise Rossv from SYD... It was quite a good night, from memory...

asy :D

Back