Cheap built-in wardrobes in Brisbane

I'm looking to get some very basic mirrored wardrobes installed in my property in Brissie to increase sale appeal.

Are there any companies up there that are comparable to Impressive Wardrobes in Sydney, who provide DIY kits but can also do install? so far the only people I could find were cabinetmakers who charge a lot more for the work. While I know a cabinetmaker would provide a much better product, I just want to tick a box that the house includes built-ins rather than focusing on the quality.

Have just had glass door wardrobes installed this morning. Sitting outside whilst carpet goes in. Once i can take a photo of the wardrobes (when carpet layer is gone) i will post up a photo and price details.

We had old built-ins so we had a door frame already and just needed new doors and some shelves and hanging.

Do you have an old wardrobe to be refreshed or no wardrobes at all?

We just had Regency install their Hiro doors to two bedrooms. We chose white glass but there was a "whiter" white and I'm now wondering if we should have chosen that. In the showroom, we thought it was a bit too "white" and we don't have anything that is really "white" in the room. The gloss paintwork is not white.

Anyway, we are very happy with the finished product. What am I saying... I LOVE it. I don't know if they would do the carcass but it would be worth asking. I cannot find my diary but when I do I will update this. I think from memory this was about $2.4K. We paid extra for the Hiro doors as opposed to the regular sliding door profile with full length lip/handle.

I don't have a "before" of our bedroom (cannot find it anyway) but it was similar to the other "before" but the banks of drawers were not visible with the doors closed. We have bought some chests of drawers and this is now fully hanging, full length one side and top and bottom on the other.

The amount of bedroom storage in our bedroom is extremely underwhelming but this helps things a lot.

All that storage was wasted on our 18 year old who used his "floorndry".

Now he has great shelves and we hanging on the other side. Best of all, whatever he leaves on his floor, I can slide the door open and kick into the cupboard.

Before - second bedroom and main bedroom (half demolished)

After - second bedroom and main bedroom

Also, I just dug out a quote from January from a builder we have had do some work for us. He isn't "cheap" but his quality is very good. He quoted $1600 per wardrobe to install three solid wardrobes into an IP. I said that was about what I would pay for an Ikea one that size. His comment was that his would be better quality (which is fact). We chose not to do this until the tenants move out, and then we will likely go ahead.

Your quote of $4.5K for three sounds about right (for a good quality job).

you can just get a high end ikea wardrobe for $750 1.5 meters X 2.4 meters with some shelves with glass doors and then just build a bulk head on top and paint and match (which will cost a handyman - $150 for all 3 in terms of hours and time).

as attached

Attachments

• wardrobe.JPG
    wardrobe.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 480
you can just get a high end ikea wardrobe for $750 1.5 meters X 2.4 meters with some shelves with glass doors and then just build a bulk head on top and paint and match (which will cost a handyman - $150 for all 3 in terms of hours and time).

I like that idea. My fear if we bought Ikea wardrobes for the IPs is that a tenant might decide to just move it a little to one side or to the other side of the room. That would mean total disaster.

When we got quotes for our cupboards, we also looked at Ikea doors to put on the openings we had. We've done the white glass doors on an Ikea cupboard in our bathroom and love it.

Because our bedroom cupboard doorways were slightly larger than the Ikea doors, we didn't want to lose even one inch of space, so chose to have them custom made. It was similar price initially, but we chose the Hiro style door (which is nicer, like the Ikea ones).

I still like the idea of a solid VJ cupboard (to match the walls) and we make the openings to suit Ikea doors. It is more expensive, but avoids having chipboard construction. Hubby can do the VJ carcass with ease and we just organise shelving and Ikea doors... sorted.

(I've done a few Ikea wardrobes, and once you start adding the nice fittings, the price shoots up quickly. But basic shelving is all I'd do for tenants.)

you built a wall cavity and slide it in and is affixed to the wall on the back. No different to any othe kitchen shelf or built in wardrobe. if not mistaken 10 year warranty. end of the day - don't see the needs to over spend if not required.

Also glass looks heaps better but if you go to stegbar or those higher end ones - they charge a bomb as in 2K just for the doors. i've done like 10 of these glass types - they all help when renting or selling.

you built a wall cavity and slide it in and is affixed to the wall on the back. No different to any othe kitchen shelf or built in wardrobe. if not mistaken 10 year warranty. end of the day - don't see the needs to over spend if not required.

Also glass looks heaps better but if you go to stegbar or those higher end ones - they charge a bomb as in 2K just for the doors. i've done like 10 of these glass types - they all help when renting or selling.

I think our doors were about $800 per cupboard but we paid a bit more for the Hiro style surrounds. Can't find my diary with the quote yet (everything we own is spread through the house.)

If hubby builds a VJ surround, we wouldn't bother buying the Ikea insert. We would just use shelving and buy the glass doors. But we would build the surround to fit the doors... much easier than finding Ikea doors to fit the openings we already had.

Your idea sounds much better for the OP who wants a nice look without spending too much, but finding someone to build a bulkhead for three cupboards won't be cheap either, I guess. And the OP would have to pay someone to put the flatpack together. I reckon that would all add up.

Thanks everyone.

I paid 2k for 3 built ins last year for a flip in Sydney. Sounds like I found a super cheapie that will be hard to find again in a different state.

Just found my diary. I don't have the first quote with the regular style doors but the doors we did choose (Hiro) were $925 and $1005. The fittings inside were $250 for the hanging only cupboard and $555 for the hanging/shelving internals. They have been installed very well, very neat and don't look "cheap".

From memory the regular style doors were a hundred or so more per set, which we were happy to pay.

Your idea sounds much better for the OP who wants a nice look without spending too much, but finding someone to build a bulkhead for three cupboards won't be cheap either, I guess. And the OP would have to pay someone to put the flatpack together. I reckon that would all add up.

doing the wardrobes flatpack is pretty simple it takes less than an hour to assemble and affix to the wall. you have back base too so the plaster is not damaged. bulkhead is pretty simple - you can even get pre-painted bulkhead with measurements. Any carpenter or handyman should be able to do this for you easily within less than a hour ($50 per hour).

cost to do this one is around 900 with bulkhead, shelves etc. This is white glass wardrobe.

Attachments

• wardrobe2.JPG
    wardrobe2.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 334
Thank you. Couldn't find the wardrobe on the Ikea website btw, think they don't make them anymore.
Colour is prob whisper white as i have used antique and it's creamier.
Thanks

Back