Chemical barrier for termites

We just recently had an annual pest/termite inspection for our 3-yr old house and the termite inspector said the outside chemical barrier needs to be re-applied (every 3 years apparently). If we don't want it re-applied, they can continue the annual check-up but their warranty expires.

Now I asked for a quote and I was just expecting a few hundred dollars but to my surprise, it was around $1.5K! I wanted to ask other companies for another quote but not sure which are the reliable ones out there. The recent news about the Brazilian termites had me spooked a bit so I want to have it done asap.

My question is, how much would a chemical barrier cost (is 1.5K fair enough?) and which pest companies out there would you recommend? I'm somewhere in NW Sydney, by the way...

Thanks!

The recent news about the Brazilian termites had me spooked a bit so I want to have it done asap.
Chemical barriers are not effective against this species. (they were West Indian btw). They fly in and eat. They do not need a water source (they are drywood) and they do not need to make a pathway to the ground.

My question is, how much would a chemical barrier cost (is 1.5K fair enough?) and which pest companies out there would you recommend? I'm somewhere in NW Sydney, by the way...
This seems very expensive to me :(

expect 20 to 50 dollars per perimeter meter depending on if the slab needs drilling and what product will be used.

Our ground floor is about 145 sqm including garage... so that's 14.5m x 10m... if $50 per meter then that's $725 + $500 = $1225, is that right? Not sure if it needs drilling though...

We had it done, cost about $1100 (house is 10x16m). Supposed to reapply ANNUALLY :eek:

Waste of money, within 11 months we had termites in again. It works out cheaper just treating them every time we notice them - usually $200 per spot treatment, once every year or two. This house has no foundations, is 130 years old and has had termites nibble on pretty much every doorframe now. I just don't like them because they eat books and furniture too, and them eating the doorframes makes the doors sticky.

I do not know any in Sydney but know a few in Brisbane that should be avoided, including a couple of big name companies.

When a property is treated for termites the company that carries out the treatment has to guarantee their work on that property. The cost of the chemical itself isn’t the expensive part, but the insurance they pay to treat your property is. A lot of cheapo dodgy brothers don’t do this so they can loball to get the jobs but god help you if the treatment doesn’t work.

Years ago there was a well known southside builder who was sued as most of their houses were riddled with termites and were falling down around the homeowners. When it came time to sue the pest company they found that they had not been using the correct ratio of chemical and also had photocopied some fake insurance certificates which were worthless.

The pest company went bankrupt and didn’t pay up, they are open again today with a different business name.

Back