Choosing a Broker - a thread for the newbies

DON'T just rely on the brokers recommending each other, happens a lot on this forum. A lot of back patting and hand balls to each other. I would suggest speaking to other forum members who are not brokers ask them for recommendations, most would of had had dealing with the brokers and are able to give feed back.

Have to agree with all Brady's posts in this thread. I've had some level of dealings with a number of brokers over the years, some from here and some from the real world. I don't have anyone to recommend from this world.;)

OK. So what are you responsible for if the outcome is not satisfying?! I love sexy sounding lines like yours above, that when questioned, don't hold any weight.

Im responsible for delivering the desired result and complying with the laws of the land. Nothing sexy about it either.

and no, I don't do things blindly. I listen to recommendations from people who have experienced a service I want to engage, instead of taking recommendations from people whom have never engaged said service.

Good for you sir.

Feeling like fish n chips for lunch now - thanks Jim!

No, I dont eat ***** :)

It all turned a bit cynical on this thread. Lighten up peeps.

Regards,

Worlds best broker (much better than worlds best banker)

resizedimage500375-westpac-chopper3.jpg

Marty to the rescue!

One thing that this thread has highlighted for me is that setting up a good loan (which is what actually prompted the thread) is only a part of what makes a broker worth choosing. It's important, but only part of the equation.

No one here has complained that their loan was set up poorly, but that they weren't given the attention they deserved. ALL the brokers here can take something from that.

It's been great to hear the feedback, thanks all :)

DON'T just rely on the brokers recommending each other, happens a lot on this forum. A lot of back patting and hand balls to each other. I would suggest speaking to other forum members who are not brokers ask them for recommendations, most would of had had dealing with the brokers and are able to give feed back.

Brady, you overlooked another scenario that pops up now and then; the 'Broker Recommendation Thread" syndrome. What is that you say? Well, a forum member recommends a broker in a new thread which goes something along the lines of "oh my broker is the best. I couldn't get a loan and then my broker worked wonders and got me the loan and very quickly. I am sooooooo happy, he/she is the best, they can have my newborn blah blah blah". Probably some merit to it but what this leads to is that broker getting so inundated with enquiries/new work to the point that their previous good service is not there any more and basic things get missed. The service was the very thing that attracted new clients. I had this with a couple of brokers here. In fact the second broker paused the application for 2 months (long story) to then tell me XYZ bank wont lend to a Trust. Ahhhh, but you knew there was a trust involved day 1. I've heard the same story from a few other members too.

Last edited:
Brady, you overlooked another scenario that pops up now and then; the 'Broker Recommendation Thread" syndrome. What is that you say? Well, a forum member recommends a broker in a new thread which goes something along the lines of "oh my broker is the best. I couldn't get a loan and then my broker worked wonders and got me the loan and very quickly. I am sooooooo happy, he/she is the best, they can have my newborn blah blah blah". Probably some merit to it but what this leads to is that broker getting so inundated with enquiries/new work to the point that their previous good service is not there any more and basic things get missed. The service was the very thing that attracted new clients. I had this with a couple of brokers here. In fact the second broker paused the application for 2 months (long story) to then tell me XYZ bank wont lend to a Trust. Ahhhh, but you knew there was a trust involved day 1. I've heard the same story from a few other members too.

Fair enough from a clients point of view. I can see why itd be incredibly frustrating.

As a broker (and any small business owner), i do sympathise with that situation though. Its typically difficult to 'scale up' to respond to temporary surges in demand in a short time period, and definitely in this industry. Training someone up to be reliable and have the same service acumen is generally a medium term investment, very difficult to do overnight. What the broker should do is say no and focus on existing clients, but that also can be difficult to do.

Cheers,
Redom

Well I can honestly say I don't have a problem saying no to new enquiries when I hit a busy patch or I don't think we will be compatible or I don't want to invest the energy in a particularly difficult scenario / transaction that I may not believe in 100% etc etc.

I also don't post all day on here if I'm busy for obvious reasons . Check the post count per day!! Just saying

Well I can honestly say I don't have a problem saying no to new enquiries when I hit a busy patch or I don't think we will be compatible or I don't want to invest the energy in a particularly difficult scenario / transaction that I may not believe in 100% etc etc.

I also don't post all day on here if I'm busy for obvious reasons . Check the post count per day!! Just saying

I think thats a good way to operate a service business Marty, or to expand capacity (more qualified people).

Im not sure you can qualify post count v busyness. Plenty of the brokers here have teams of staff working for them and the infrastructure in place to post/be travelling etc. and still provide a great service.

Cheers,
Redom

Plenty of the brokers here have teams of staff working for them and the infrastructure in place to post/be travelling etc. and still provide a great service.

Cheers,
Redom

What Im busy doing ^^^^^ so I can say yes with a clear conscience knowing I will provide good service to everyone.

When Im busy I be upfront with new clients and give a time frame that I can reasonably respond to. If you can wait then all good, if not their are plenty of other brokers that can help you. Just a matter of finding someone who you gel with and has the acumen to meet your requirements.

Reputation is everything in business and not worth destroying due to greed, cherrypicking, mismanagement and ego.

This is so true for me as well. I've been through a couple of highly recommended brokers on these forums (of which one of them has posted in this thread on how to select a good broker) and almost exactly the same scenario. First one was unresponsive and I was clearly very low on the priority list for the second one. Extremely annoying for simple transactions which I had to push and push to get done.

Ah, forgive my ignorance. I suspect many of the frustrations laid out on this thread are from said broker.

I don't think so Redom, see above.

Also, shifting the blame onto that broker isn't the right thing to do either. My example was with another broker from the forum.

Also, shifting the blame onto that broker isn't the right thing to do either. My example was with another broker from the forum.

I would personally really like to see Somersoft members being able to name brokers and the specific reasons they didn't provide good service - and the threads not being deleted. There may be a range of reasons such as they just happen to miss something, got incredibly busy etc. If this is the case the broker will have the opportunity to respond - people understand even the best broker from time to time may miss something. If they don't respond or go into hiding then I think that's a pretty good filter for getting them off the forum anyway.

What makes it difficult is when negative feedback is deleted or members don't feel comfortable posting names, as it just leads to a situation where the the only feedback is positive back patting. This isn't good for anyone.

I would personally really like to see Somersoft members being able to name brokers and the specific reasons they didn't provide good service - and the threads not being deleted. There may be a range of reasons such as they just happen to miss something, got incredibly busy etc. If this is the case the broker will have the opportunity to respond - people understand even the best broker from time to time may miss something. If they don't respond or go into hiding then I think that's a pretty good filter for getting them off the forum anyway.

What makes it difficult is when negative feedback is deleted or members don't feel comfortable posting names, as it just leads to a situation where the the only feedback is positive back patting. This isn't good for anyone.

Sounds reasonable to me...would need to be controlled to a degree (ie one time posters may pop up slatting business reputations).

From my experience, about a third of people who call me from SS are frustrated with their existing SS broker (i dont know who their talking about). The why seems to always be about responsiveness/slowness. Soon enough, poor client service all gets aired out.

Colins words about reputation are pretty spot on. Once your reputations hurt, it lasts for a very long time. Works both ways too.

Cheers,
Redom

No. This isn't a broker forum its a property forum, though some days you wouldn't know it. A lot of members PM or email one another anyway so the pro active members do work it out.

Sorry to hear of your experience oc1.

Perhaps call the broker you had an issue with and provide them with feedback.

Cheers

Jamie

Back