Choosing a good PM

Hi guys,

I have recently bought my first IP and the aerial needed fixing for the TV. The agent told me it would cost around $100 but on my monthly statement it was $231!!!!!!!!!! Should I ask for a receipt or why there was an extra cost?

How can you filter out a good PM and how can you trust they are getting the best quality work done for your maintenance issues rather than the easiest?

Thanks very much,
James

Hi twobobsworth,

I am not concerned about the amount, more so that the agent told me it would cost around $100 but then got blown out to $231. How can I trust they are doing the right thing by me?

Yes get a copy of the receipt, assess the work completed for costings (laboour+parts+callout fee) and outcome (did it fix the issue) and if all looks ok then I would be happy as the work completed may have been greater than the scope the PM originally provide their guidance on.

Also check your MAA as you may find that you may have provided authority to the PM to organise and undertake repairs up to a set value.

There are some tradies in this forum. You can get as much info as possible from your PM and post here to get some quick quote. Or you can call local tradies and compare. Also you could ask your PM to keep you updated if any changes. If they don’t you may need to look for a new PM. I always ask for original receipts from my PM.

Tradies and fees

As a PM we have these issues all the time. We try to get as much information as possible and relay this to the owners and the tradies, then we issue the work orders and even when we say call us if the amount is more...we still get invoices in that are more than we expect.

I try to go around and find out what exactly is the issue because what we get told about issues generally is not what is wrong at property...but it is time consuming and I can't go around to all the issues. So I only attend the ones that I just can't make any sense of.

Invoice - you should get the invoice. Feel free to call the tradie also to clarify the issue direct at least you will find out it the work order was as requested.

I feel as bad as most owners about rates charged per hour. I agreed to be present when a fussy tenant was at work and waited for the electricians to isntall 2 fans and fix a phone point...did I have words to the contractor about how slow they worked....

Hi Lura,

Thanks for the reply.

That makes me feel better that my PM may just not exacly know how much it will cost until the work is completed.

I think all projects should be invoiced as a job and not charged per hour as productivity is an issue at an hourly rate.

Back