Cladding over asbestos exterior

I have been searching SS and can find threads discussing cladding but no ball park figures, does anyone have a square meter rate for vinyl cladding over flat asbestos exterior walls ?

Job would be in Newcastle/ Hunter Valley area

if it involves drilling or a risk of cracking the sheets, no tradies who enjoy breathing will touch it. Get a couple of quotes for removal and cladding. Possibly a roofer with asbestos licence.

The first problem that you will encounter is that the window sills won't have enough clearance to keep moisture out if you leave the existing cladding.

There a few around that have been reclad, I will take a drive and see if I can find an owner that has had it done.

I suspect they just shoot nails straight through when attaching thin battens and then clad on top.

More research required I guess :)

Getting a quotation done for it next week. I'll flick over a response when I have it.

Cladding a 2 bedroom fibro home.

Currently doing up an old asbestos place , outside will remain inside removed.
Had a nock at the door today from a bloke looking for business doing cladding.
Did not go into prices but he gave me a brochure which shows a three bedder
reclad for $5995 using ever last cladding a VPI product.

I suspect they just shoot nails straight through when attaching thin battens and then clad on top.
:)

Problem is once you fire off the nail gun the sheets will break,the last one I did was in western red cedar ,once you take all the external cover strips that cover the joins in the sheets off then reseal the 10mm gap or just paint straight over the gap,the external face came up well in "WRC" ,
BUT I predrilled all the holes then just liquid nail the back face and work your way up the wall..imho..

Last edited:
I had this done. No idea what it cost though, it was part an entire reno.

From what I recall, they took off the joins, then clad over the top. Asbestos sheeting was NOT removed.

Don't think any special asbestos guys were involved - unless the cladder also had some special licence.

I had a quote a year or two ago for a reclad on a 3br with fake brick asbestos backed cladding over fibro.

Was $6600 to remove fake brick and fibro, and about 12k to clad in vinyl with insulation in cavity walls

Is all fibro sheeting asbestos?

Re:Shovelhead.

Ps.Fibro is good for fire prone areas?

The pros reckon all fibro sheeting used before about 1988 should be regarded as asbestos.

Doesn't hurt to wear a mask just in case someone has used an old sheet stored in the garage at a later date.

A lot of the non asbestos sheeting will have printed multiple times on the back
that its asbestos free. also a lot of the early asbestos free sheeting became very crumbly
and chips/crushes very easy, its always best to have it inspected and tested.

Back