Clapping hands at conclusion of auction

This has started to become commonplace in Sydney.

I remember auctions back in 1992/1993 when no-one clapped hands-the whole excercise was way too serious.

Are we all brainwashed by lyfestyle and auction programmes? I notice that the clapping is most noticeable when the bidding seems way above expectations-sort of clapping the biggest fool. Three cheers for the incredibly stupid bidder in the red shirt. Very poor behaviour to clap hands as a chap is being fed to the lions. I for one refuse to do it.

Ajax

I clapped at the last auction I went to. I was sitting next to the successful bidder (in a room of 200).

His bid probably added 25% to my flock of bats.

His rental yield was probably the lowest seen in Queanbeyan for many years for a block.

So I was happy to make him feel good about his purchase :D

He was probably a Sydney investor who thought that a possible 5% yield was good- much better than Sydney.

In a market where 12% was achievable two years ago, and 9% one year ago.

Isn't it polite to applaud for free entertainment...

I very much agree with you that applause seems to be generated when a property is sold for way too much.

I never clap at auctions...and haven't been at many where the entire audience do....

Mostly I am thinking 'Who would believe someone would be stupid enough to pay that much!....It's time to revalue my properties again!' :)

Though I would pay the free entertainment concept - after all, it's the show that sells the property at many auctions, so the show has to be good!

Perhaps auctioneers should start charging admittance?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Originally posted by Aceyducey

Mostly I am thinking 'Who would believe someone would be stupid enough to pay that much!....It's time to revalue my properties again!' :)

Hmmm, this is my thinking too, when I see $350K for x or $700K for y with terrible yeilds. What about when REA's start boasting that a $380K property is yielding $275pw (3.7% return). Particularly when the same property would have yeilding $275pw when it was worth $175K (just a few years ago!).

I suggest these are danger signs and we should take notice of them!

I'm more than happy to clap the successful bidder onhis/her new purchase. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Everytime someone else buys in my street, up goes the value of my property.

I love these people. Buy, Buy Buy, I say.
Well done, congratulations, welcome to the area - an I sincerely mean it.

Two weeks later, someone else will also buy in this street, then the prvious bidder is thinking "Gee we got a good buy, lucky we got in" and on goes the property market.

The more these people pay and the more encouragement they get, the happier I am.

Good luck to them. At least they're getting into the market and not just sitting on the sidelines passing judgements on everybody else.

Clap away!!!

BUNDY

Last edited:
I just see clapping as a polite expression from the crowd, for the performance of the auctioneer, for the importance of the transaction to the vendor (after all, it's probably their ownly asset and most likely their family home) and for the bravery and perserverance of the buyer (it's not easy, standing on the footpath with your hand in the air, bidding away tens of thousands of dollars).

I have always put down whatever I was holding, ready to clap as loudly as I could, and to encourage other people to do the same.

I think we should encourage each other as much as we can in life, and that includes total strangers who have just taken on a big committment and very likely have been fighting a flock of butterflies in their stomach the whole time.

Many times I have walked out of the crowd after the auction and said to the buyer 'Well done, I think you've got a bargain', no matter what price they've paid. The look of pure pleasure on their faces when they hear that always gives me a buzz.

Remember, it's all about the people. Please clap loudly.

Cheers

Kristine

i don't clap at autions and i won't clap for the bridal party at wedding receptions iether, but i have been tempted to clap at a funeral.

Originally posted by Kristine..
I just see clapping as a polite expression from the crowd, <snip>
Many times I have walked out of the crowd after the auction and said to the buyer 'Well done, I think you've got a bargain', no matter what price they've paid. The look of pure pleasure on their faces when they hear that always gives me a buzz.

Remember, it's all about the people. Please clap loudly.

Cheers

Kristine

Well said, Kristine! I agree entirely. It IS about people at the end of the day.

The successful bidders may have just bought their dream home or taken the first step on their road to retirement. It's not a win or lose situation. Clapping costs nothing and like a smile, can bring a spark of joy to both the giver and receiver.

I wonder however, how does the vendor take all the clapping? Do they suddenly think; "Oh nooo! We've been done over?" or are they clapping all the way to the bank.

Just a thought.

Kenny

Kristine,

A good response and I agree with it.

It's great to give people a positve response, no matter what the context.

Well done, and thanks for the reminder.

yes agree with kristine also, I tend to thing its commonly done on any big event more out of courtesy rather than people neccessarily agree with was has been sold/achieved etc so perhaps appropriate for property auctions.

As a comparison if you got a new job people might congratulate you even if they thought the pay was too low, the job didn't suit you, and the boss was likely to treat you like dirt :D Its kind of like them appreciating a big/exciting moment in your life.

While I respect Kristine's views, personally I don't feel happy applauding a poor result.

If the property is sold above its worth or above the buyer's limit I don't see this as a positive result, even if they are happy at the moment because of the feeling of winning & joy of ownership.

I will not support the positive reinforcement of negative results - if I did, how could I then negotiate price on property or tell others to not pay more than a property is worth without being a hypocrite.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

We clap when we're happy ...right ? The value of our holdings ONLY goes up when "somebody" pays that "few grand "more ...right ? ( If everybody beat the vendor down to under the market price than values would go down ...right? )

So ....if we're investing in IPs , and we're not happy when the value goes up ....when do we get to be happy ?
For me ....I'm clapping !

Not only that , some of our VERY BEST real estate investments have been those that we fought hardest for, and at the time, thought that we had paid FAR too much for .(Try paying $185K at auction , and finding out later the reserve was $120K. No wonder they made us tea and sandwiches ...but who's laughing now ...It's worth conservatively $1.2M)

Regards
LL
(On Al Italia they clap when the plane lands ...safely ....now that's really scary ......!!! )

:)

Last edited:
I agree with Kristine.

Regardless of whether people have paid more or less for a property at auction, (and who is to say they have or haven't or whether they even care), or whether it benefits other property investors or whether it was a good show - the fact is the buyers WANTED this property, so I see it as applauding their success at getting what they wanted.

They would be happy with the result so why spoil things for them by showing your contempt with your actions i.e. not applauding.

I believe in the motto -
"people may forget what you say or what you do, but they never forget how you made them feel"

Cheers
Olly

As geofw points out, the clapping is done and encouraged mainly by those who gain from the sale.
Usually it's the RE who starts the clapping, because he's happy he got his commision. Then a happy ex owner like Geofw, who knows that years of hard work just bought in a profit, then the RE staff who mite just get a free dinner out of it, then the bankers or brokers who also made their days bread.

Of cousre the buyers wanted the property Olly, but those RE's just know how to squeeze every last dollar (infact much more than they wanted to spend) by pressing those "competitive" and "greed" buttons that just gets those bidders going....

Maybe they're just happy the nightmare eneded so they clap.

god I'm a cynic...maybe I've just been to too many auctions

bbg2003

Now, now, Geoff

When was the last time you bought the estate agency staff a free dinner.

In fact, I've never hear of anyone treating the staff to a free anything.

But, perhaps I've just worked in all the wrong agencies.

(sigh)

Kristine

?????

Puzzled afterthought

bbg2003, when you're 64 (many years from now) and selling your beloved family home of fourty years so that you can move into a retirement home, wouldn't you want the Agent who is working on your behalf, to squeeze every last dollar from your purchaser?

No, bbg2003, I think you should get out a lot more, go to events other than auctions, live life a little and drop the cynicism. We only get out of life what we put in. Sneering from the sidelines is very unflattering to the sneerer. May I suggest a nice little TAFE course in something like landscape design and construction, and a nice little unit which can be revamped reasonably easily, and find a nice little tenant, and make them happy by being a wonderful landlord who has decorated the place so nicely, only charges a modest rent, and sends them a card at Christmas?

Change the Bah! Humbug! to Wow! Fantastic! and you can change your life.

Oh, and don't forget to applaud other people when they grab their courage in both hands and make some changes to their lives, too.

Love and Kisses

Kristine

All the usual 'X' marks

and the answer came on Friday
by a thumbnail dipped in tar
Clancy's gone a drovin and
we don't know where he are!

Oh, yes of course I know that was a dreadful misquote but I can't find my Poet's Almanac from Form 2 at High School so I have to hazard a guess the author is Banjo Paterson and is it 'A Drover's Lament' or 'A Man From Snowy River'?

Geoff

I hope you talked like a Pirate all day!

Originally posted by Kristine..
When was the last time you bought the estate agency staff a free dinner.

In fact, I've never hear of anyone treating the staff to a free anything.
Arrrgh, yo ho ho

My PM is probably due for another half dozen bottles of red, thanks for the reminder.

Back