Classmate sues schoolgirl, 13, over tennis court mishap at private school

The topic of lawyers and Australia becoming an ever increasingly litigious society have been discussed here on a number of occasions, this one took the cake

Classmate sues schoolgirl, 13, over tennis court mishap at private school

A 13-YEAR-OLD schoolgirl is being sued by a classmate over a tennis court mishap at one of Queensland's top private schools in the latest blow to playground fun.

The legal claim, over a bruised eye, has raised concerns that "litigation-crazy'' parents could threaten the future of school sport by forcing up insurance costs.

It may also force parents to take out third-party accident insurance for their children.

Several Queensland schools have already banned activities including tiggy, red rover and cartwheels because of injury fears.

The legal stoush has embroiled the daughters of a leading Gold Coast cardiologist and an architect, and the prestigious Somerset College.

Cardiologist Guy Wright-Smith said he was "gobsmacked'' to receive the damages claim, addressed to his 13-year-old daughter Julia, at his rooms on Friday.

The claim alleges Julia had hit classmate Finley Enright-Burns in the eye with a tennis ball during a tennis lesson at the Mudgeeraba school last October. It alleges Julia was "smashing'' balls back to Finley on the baseline when the incident happened.

Cont...

Bolded section by me

Saw that on the news last week ... what a load of BS! When we were kids we were a mass of bruises and scabs to be picked off.

grapes or lettuce leaves in supermarkets...

Yes - apparently over half of the last two years 400 lawsuit claims against Woolies is due to grape slippage.

How the heck, if you are walking sensibly, do you slip on a grape? Especially now that they have those mats everywhere in the produce section - and have had for years.

Me suspects grape slippage may be a career choice ...

Does the word accident still exist any more!?

no....because it's so easy, during a amateur tennis lesson, to hit a ball across a court and hit a moving target no bigger than a ping-pong ball.

i bet even Federer would have a hard time with that.

The way the action reads is so typical of lawyers.....throw your **** net as far and as wide as possible to see what you can drag in.

Sue the parent, sue the tennis school, sue the school itself.....hell, they should of sued the local council, the local parish and the State Govt for good measure as well.

I noticed the first thing the cardiologist did was enlist his lawyer....so that's them both slugging it out on the legal court firing volleys at each other, on the payroll for the next 18 months at $ 600 / hour for each of them.

What a farce. I hate what judges and magistrates and lawyers are doing to the ethos of this country.

The way the action reads is so typical of lawyers.....throw your **** net as far and as wide as possible to see what you can drag in.

Sue the parent, sue the tennis school, sue the school itself.....hell, they should of sued the local council, the local parish and the State Govt for good measure as well.

I noticed the first thing the cardiologist did was enlist his lawyer....so that's them both slugging it out on the legal court firing volleys at each other, on the payroll for the next 18 months at $ 600 / hour for each of them.

What a farce. I hate what judges and magistrates and lawyers are doing to the ethos of this country.

Lawyers don't sue people.

People sue people.

Law is great.

We've just created an entire industry to employ a bunch of people who would otherwise be unemployed and are too lazy to do FIFO.

Back