Climate Change - your views?

With water vapour still being something over 95% of our "greenhouse gases" (and these are naturally occurring) how the hell does CO2 suddenly become such a costly gas for us? Isn't that what helps trees grow? So, if it's rising a bit, who's to say that is changing anything so markedly? I mean, it's less than 5% in the scheme of things. And, as I've heard, CO2 rises FOLLOW temperature rises - they don't CREATE them.

Carbon dioxide is present at a very small 383 ppm (.000383) of the volume of the earth's atmosphere, but it is a very powerful greenhouse gas and so has a large effect upon climate. It is also essential to photosynthesis in plants and other photoautotrophs.

Despite the low concentration, CO2 is a very important component of the Earth's atmosphere because it absorbs infrared radiation at wavelengths of 4.26 µm (asymmetric stretching vibrational mode) and 14.99 µm (bending vibrational mode) and enhances the greenhouse effect to a great degree.[8]

Although water vapour accounts for up to 90% of the greenhouse effect, there is no real way to control the amount of water vapour in the Earth's climate system and it is short-lived in the atmosphere. In addition, water vapour is almost never considered a forcing, but rather almost always a feedback.

On the other hand, carbon dioxide is a very powerful forcing, and it also lasts far longer in the Earth's atmosphere. With a radiative forcing of about 1.5 W/m2, it is relativly twice as powerful as the next majorly forcing greenhouse gas, methane, and relativly ten times as powerful as the third, nitrous oxide. Carbon dioxide contributes up to 12% to the greenhouse effect.

The 20 year smoothed Law Dome DE02 and DE02-2 ice cores show the levels of CO2 to have been 284.3 ppm in 1832.[9] As of January 2007, the measured atmospheric CO2 concentration at the Mauna Loa observatory was about 383 ppm.[10]

Source - Wikipedia.

M

So what have we all learned from my last post:

1. I can cut and paste.

2. CO2 is the most powerful forcing greenhouse gas in the atmosphere.

3. Water vapour, while contributing for up to 90% of the greenhouse gas effect, is a feedback gas.

So, we can't control the water vapour directly, but we know we can control the CO2 since we're responsible for most of it.

Also, if we control CO2, then water vapour will be less of an issue.

It's quite simple, really.

M

Last edited:
G'day Mark,
Pitt.St said:
You gotta love this forum. A few hours ago you gave me some kudos (for another post on another thread, and thanks, btw) and now here we are perhaps about to butt heads.
Yeah, but you deserved THOSE kudos - not sure I'll be giving you any on THIS thread :D :p

Hmm - but maybe still you COULD earn some more....
Pitt.St said:
Dare I turn this into an ageist debate, but the fact is that alot of the people in positions of power and influence (PMs, Presidents, Company CEOs, etc) aren't exactly spring chickens.

And the results of their actions (or lack of actions) (and of the actions or lack of actions of humankind) may never "hit them in the face" namely because they'll be pushing up daisies by the time it would have.
Your comments turned on another light - right there !!! And that is - that they are influencing things alright - perhaps in the wrong direction...

Even though any concerns won't "hit them in the face", I'd bet most (95%?) of them have kids and grand-kids. Safe bet?

OK, then, moving on from there, maybe they are each looking for "the best" way to ensure their off-springs' futures. And, with "squeaky wheels" around the place, all vying for attention, they may well turn their attention in the wrong direction.

But, yes, they will make decisions for all of us - now THAT could be a concern, but then, that's the way our Western world works. We can vote them out, or keep them on, depending....

Mark, I think I know where you're coming from, and, I think (by now) you know where I'm coming from. I'm concerned that ONE of us is way off track ..... (maybe each with good reason, perhaps because of the squeaky wheels). Question is - WHICH of us is right (long term)? Without hindsight, neither one will know today !!!

In the end, all any of us can do is be true to ourselves, and make the best decisions based on what we know today. That knowledge (for you and for me) is somewhat opposed - but that shouldn't stop either from saying what we feel. Keep on posting, and onya for doing so,

Regards,

Les, you probably won't believe it but I have been reluctant to post this (see below) today and look to be spoiling for a fight. I do so now because you seem to be singing from the same song sheet:
With water vapour still being something over 95% of our "greenhouse gases" (and these are naturally occurring) how the hell does CO2 suddenly become such a costly gas for us? Isn't that what helps trees grow? So, if it's rising a bit, who's to say that is changing anything so markedly? I mean, it's less than 5% in the scheme of things. And, as I've heard, CO2 rises FOLLOW temperature rises - they don't CREATE them.

I'll post the article rather than the link because I doubt there are copyright issues and I want to "bold" a phrase or two.

The Faithful Heretic
A Wisconsin Icon Pursues Tough Questions

Some people are lucky enough to enjoy their work, some are lucky enough to love it, and then there’s Reid Bryson. At age 86, he’s still hard at it every day, delving into the science some say he invented.

Reid A. Bryson holds the 30th PhD in Meteorology granted in the history of American education. Emeritus Professor and founding chairman of the University of Wisconsin Department of Meteorology—now the Department of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences—in the 1970s he became the first director of what’s now the UW’s Gaylord Nelson Institute of Environmental Studies. He’s a member of the United Nations Global 500 Roll of Honor—created, the U.N. says, to recognize “outstanding achievements in the protection and improvement of the environment.” He has authored five books and more than 230 other publications and was identified by the British Institute of Geographers as the most frequently cited climatologist in the world.
(This is the bio I posted earlier..... Fish)
Long ago in the Army Air Corps, Bryson and a colleague prepared the aviation weather forecast that predicted discovery of the jet stream by a group of B-29s flying to and from Tokyo. Their warning to expect westerly winds at 168 knots earned Bryson and his friend a chewing out from a general—and the general’s apology the next day when he learned they were right. Bryson flew into a couple of typhoons in 1944, three years before the Weather Service officially did such things, and he prepared the forecast for the homeward flight of the Enola Gay. Back in Wisconsin, he built a program at the UW that’s trained some of the nation’s leading climatologists.

How Little We Know

Bryson is a believer in climate change, in that he’s as quick as anyone to acknowledge that Earth’s climate has done nothing but change throughout the planet’s existence. In fact, he took that knowledge a big step further, earlier than probably anyone else. Almost 40 years ago, Bryson stood before the American Association for the Advancement of Science and presented a paper saying human activity could alter climate.

“I was laughed off the platform for saying that,” he told Wisconsin Energy Cooperative News.

In the 1960s, Bryson’s idea was widely considered a radical proposition. But nowadays things have turned almost in the opposite direction: Hardly a day passes without some authority figure claiming that whatever the climate happens to be doing, human activity must be part of the explanation. And once again, Bryson is challenging the conventional wisdom.

“Climate’s always been changing and it’s been changing rapidly at various times, and so something was making it change in the past,” he told us in an interview this past winter. “Before there were enough people to make any difference at all, two million years ago, nobody was changing the climate, yet the climate was changing, okay?”

“All this argument is the temperature going up or not, it’s absurd,” Bryson continues. “Of course it’s going up. It has gone up since the early 1800s, before the Industrial Revolution, because we’re coming out of the Little Ice Age, not because we’re putting more carbon dioxide into the air.”

Little Ice Age? That’s what chased the Vikings out of Greenland after they’d farmed there for a few hundred years during the Mediaeval Warm Period, an earlier run of a few centuries when the planet was very likely warmer than it is now, without any help from industrial activity in making it that way. What’s called “proxy evidence”—assorted clues extrapolated from marine sediment cores, pollen specimens, and tree-ring data—helps reconstruct the climate in those times before instrumental temperature records existed.

We ask about that evidence, but Bryson says it’s second-tier stuff. “Don’t talk about proxies,” he says. “We have written evidence, eyeball evidence. When Eric the Red went to Greenland, how did he get there? It’s all written down.”

Bryson describes the navigational instructions provided for Norse mariners making their way from Europe to their settlements in Greenland. The place was named for a reason: The Norse farmed there from the 10th century to the 13th, a somewhat longer period than the United States has existed. But around 1200 the mariners’ instructions changed in a big way. Ice became a major navigational reference. Today, old Viking farmsteads are covered by glaciers.

Bryson mentions the retreat of Alpine glaciers, common grist for current headlines. “What do they find when the ice sheets retreat, in the Alps?”

We recall the two-year-old report saying a mature forest and agricultural water-management structures had been discovered emerging from the ice, seeing sunlight for the first time in thousands of years. Bryson interrupts excitedly.

“A silver mine! The guys had stacked up their tools because they were going to be back the next spring to mine more silver, only the snow never went,” he says. “There used to be less ice than now. It’s just getting back to normal.”

What Leads, What Follows?

What is normal? Maybe continuous change is the only thing that qualifies. (The only thing predictable about the weather is that it is unpredictable... Fish) There’s been warming over the past 150 years and even though it’s less than one degree, Celsius, something had to cause it. The usual suspect is the “greenhouse effect,” various atmospheric gases trapping solar energy, preventing it being reflected back into space.

We ask Bryson what could be making the key difference:

Q: Could you rank the things that have the most significant impact and where would you put carbon dioxide on the list?

A: Well let me give you one fact first. In the first 30 feet of the atmosphere, on the average, outward radiation from the Earth, which is what CO2 is supposed to affect, how much [of the reflected energy] is absorbed by water vapor? In the first 30 feet, 80 percent, okay? (This is the point Les made... Fish)

Q: Eighty percent of the heat radiated back from the surface is absorbed in the first 30 feet by water vapor…

A: And how much is absorbed by carbon dioxide? Eight hundredths of one percent. One one-thousandth as important as water vapor. You can go outside and spit and have the same effect as doubling carbon dioxide. (I suspect he used a more collourful analogy... Fish)

This begs questions about the widely publicized mathematical models researchers run through supercomputers to generate climate scenarios 50 or 100 years in the future. Bryson says the data fed into the computers overemphasizes carbon dioxide and accounts poorly for the effects of clouds—water vapor. Asked to evaluate the models’ long-range predictive ability, he answers with another question: “Do you believe a five-day forecast?”

Bryson says he looks in the opposite direction, at past climate conditions, for clues to future climate behavior. Trying that approach in the weeks following our interview, Wisconsin Energy Cooperative News soon found six separate papers about Antarctic ice core studies, published in peer-reviewed scientific journals between 1999 and 2006. The ice core data allowed researchers to examine multiple climate changes reaching back over the past 650,000 years. All six studies found atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations tracking closely with temperatures, but with CO2 lagging behind changes in temperature, rather than leading them. The time lag between temperatures moving up—or down—and carbon dioxide following ranged from a few hundred to a few thousand years. (Another point Les made.... Fish)

Renaissance Man, Marathon Man

When others were laughing at the concept, Reid Bryson was laying the ground floor for scientific investigation of human impacts on climate. We asked UW Professor Ed Hopkins, the assistant state climatologist, about the significance of Bryson’s work in advancing the science he’s now practiced for six decades.

“His contributions are manifold,” Hopkins said. “He wrote Climates of Hunger back in the 1970s looking at how climate changes over the last several thousand years have affected human activity and human cultures.”

This, he suggests, is traceable to Bryson’s high-school interest in archaeology, followed by college degrees in geology, then meteorology, and studies in oceanography, limnology, and other disciplines. “He’s looked at the interconnections of all these things and their impact on human societies,” Hopkins says. “He’s one of those people I would say is a Renaissance person.”

The Renaissance, of course, produced its share of heretics, and 21 years after he supposedly retired, one could ponder whether Bryson’s work today is a tale of continuing heresy, or of conventional wisdom being outpaced by an octogenarian.

Without addressing—or being asked—that question, UW Green Bay Emeritus Professor Joseph Moran agrees that Bryson qualifies as “the father of the science of modern climatology.”

“In his lifetime, in his career, he has shaped the future as well as the present state of climatology,” Moran says, adding, “We’re going to see his legacy with us for many generations to come.”

Holding bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Boston College, Moran became a doctoral candidate under Bryson in the late 1960s and early ’70s. “I came to Wisconsin because he was there,” Moran told us.

With Hopkins, Moran co-authored Wisconsin’s Weather and Climate, a book aimed at teachers, students, outdoor enthusiasts, and workers with a need to understand what the weather does and why. Bryson wrote a preface for the book but Hopkins told us the editors “couldn’t fathom” certain comments, thinking he was being too flippant with the remark that “Wisconsin is not for wimps when it comes to weather.”

Clearly what those editors couldn’t fathom was that Bryson simply enjoys mulling over the reasons weather and climate behave as they do and what might make them—and consequently us—behave differently. This was immediately obvious when we asked him why, at his age, he keeps showing up for work at a job he’s no longer paid to do.

“It’s fun!” he said. Ed Hopkins and Joe Moran would undoubtedly agree.

“I think that’s one of the reasons for his longevity,” Moran says. “He’s so interested and inquisitive. I regard him as a pot-stirrer. Sometimes people don’t react well when you challenge their long-held ideas, but that’s how real science takes place.”—Dave Hoopman

To close I will copy a sentence from one of the e-letters I subscribe to, it doesn't matter who wrote it:

Peter George is one of my favorite people in the world and
is someone I hold in the HIGHEST regard. I also completely
disagree with him on Bush, Iraq, etc.

Nor does it matter who Peter George is. What does matter is that the writer published Peter's view on "Bush, Iraq etc" so that his readers could make up their own mind.

Trust me, I'm not trying to convert anyone, I am merely presenting the contrary view for consideration and balance, and defending my right to hold such views.

Fish

Avoiding Dangerous Climate Change: A Scientific Symposium on Stabilisation of Greenhouse Gases was a 2005 international conference that redefined the link between atmospheric greenhouse gas concentration, and the 2°C (3.6°F) ceiling on global warming thought necessary to avoid the most serious effects of global warming. Previously this had generally been accepted as being 550 ppm.

The conference took place under the United Kingdom's presidency of the G8, with the participation of around 200 'internationally renowned' scientists from 30 countries

Among the conclusions reached, the most significant was a new assessment of the link between the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and the increase in global temperature levels.

The conference concluded that, at the level of 550 ppm, it was likely that 2°C would be exceeded, based on the projections of more recent climate models. Stabilising greenhouse gas concentrations at 450 ppm would only result in a 50% likelihood of limiting global warming to 2°C, and that it would be necessary to achieve stabilisation below 400 ppm to give a relatively high certainty of not exceeding 2°C.

The conference also warned that, if action to reduce emissions is delayed by 20 years, rates of emission reduction may need to be 3 to 7 times greater to meet the same temperature target.

You find me 1 scientist who says it isn't an issue, I can find you 200 who say it is.

M

See -

Wikipedia

Conference website

Jeez, Mark, you type quick - :D

Carbon dioxide contributes up to 12% to the greenhouse effect.
OK, let me concede that CO2 contributes 12% - what's making up the other 88%, and can we control it?

And, if the Kyoto protocol is wanting to reduce CO2 down to 6% (forced, not actual :D ) what effect will that have on Earth's temperature. Would you agree it is likely to be (at best) a 6% difference? What effect would that have on any water temperature gain? Or rising of sea-waters? 6%? See what I mean?

Really, isn't it more likely that ALL WE DO via Kyoto (or any other CO2 mantras) will have diddley-squat effect on whether the Earth warms or cools?

But, on the subject of "doing what we can", I DO agree with the fitting of rain-water tanks, questioning of car use, preservation of trees, looking for efficiencies in food production, electricity generation, better ways to make cars, etc. - just because we should anyway

Regards

And here's another 48 Nobel Prize Winning scientists who felt so strongly on the topic that they said this:

An Open Letter to the American People

June 21, 2004

Presidential elections present us with choices about our nation's future. We support John Kerry for President and urge you to join us. The prosperity, health, environment, and security of Americans depend on Presidential leadership to sustain our vibrant science and technology; to encourage education at home and attract talented scientists and engineers from abroad; and to nurture a business environment that transforms new knowledge into new opportunities for creating quality jobs and reaching shared goals.

President Bush and his administration are compromising our future on each of these counts. By reducing funding for scientific research, they are undermining the foundation of America's future. By setting unwarranted restrictions on stem cell research, they are impeding medical advances. By employing inappropriate immigration practices, they are turning critical scientific talent away from our shores. And by ignoring scientific consensus on critical issues such as global warming, [President Bush and his administration] are threatening the earth's future.

Unlike previous administrations, Republican and Democratic alike, the Bush administration has ignored unbiased scientific advice in the policy-making that is so important to our collective welfare.

John Kerry will change all this. He will support strong investments in science and technology as he restores fiscal responsibility. He will stimulate the development and deployment of technologies to meet our economic, energy, environmental, health, and security needs. He will recreate an America that provides opportunity to all at home or abroad who can help us make progress together.

John Kerry will restore science to its appropriate place in government and bring it back into the White House. He is the clear choice for America's next President.

Signed,

Peter Agre (Chemistry 2003);

David H. Hubel (Medicine 1981);

Sidney Altman (Chemistry 1989);

Louis Ignarro (Medicine 1998);

Philip W. Anderson (Physics 1977);

Eric R. Kandel (Medicine 2000);

David Baltimore (Medicine 1975);

Walter Kohn (Chemistry 1998);

Baruj Benacerraf (Medicine 1980);

Arthur Kornberg (Medicine 1959);

Paul Berg (Chemistry 1980);

Leon M. Lederman (Physics 1988);

Hans A. Bethe (Physics 1967);

Tsung-Dao Lee (Physics 1957);

Michael Bishop (Medicine 1989);

David M. Lee (Physics 1996);

Günter Blobel (Medicine 1999);

William N. Lipscomb (Chemistry 1976);

N. Bloembergen (Physics 1981);

Roderick MacKinnon (Chemistry 2003);

James W. Cronin (Physics 1980);

Mario J. Molina (Chemistry 1995);

Johann Deisenhofer (Chemistry 1988);

Joseph E. Murray (Medicine 1990);

John B. Fenn (Chemistry 2002);

Douglas D. Osheroff (Physics 1996);

Val Fitch (Physics 1980);

George Palade (Medicine 1974);

Jerome I. Friedman (Physics 1990);

Arno Penzias (Physics 1978);

Walter Gilbert (Chemistry 1980);

Martin L. Perl (Physics 1995);

Alfred G. Gilman (Medicine 1994);

Norman F. Ramsey (Physics 1989);

Donald A. Glaser (Physics 1960);

Burton Richter (Physics 1976);

Sheldon L. Glashow (Physics 1979);

Joseph H. Taylor Jr. (Physics 1993);

Joseph Goldstein (Medicine 1985);

E. Donnall Thomas (Medicine 1990);

Roger Guillemin (Medicine 1977);

Charles H. Townes (Physics 1964);

Dudley Herschbach (Chemistry 1986);

Harold Varmus (Medicine 1989);

Roald Hoffmann (Chemistry 1981);

Eric Wieschaus (Medicine 1995);

H. Robert Horvitz (Medicine 2002);

Robert W. Wilson (Physics 1978).

See - http://www.testermanscifi.org/KerryScience.html

M

There's no Nobel Prize for Meteorology.

M
Really just a side note.

The Nobel Prize is awarded sometimes as a nudge in the right direction, I learnt that after visiting the Nobel centre in Stockholm. It's got some political bias attached to it.

Just that I had in my mind that it's some sort of scientific peer reviewed measure of achievement, it's not, and sometimes you can get some really undeserving characters with 'nobel prize winner' beside their name.

I think that climate change (an ongoing experiment with unknown consequences) is both man assisted and definitely happening.

They teach the theory of evolution, so that people wont believe in creation or God.

They will blame global warming for all the adverse weather conditions.

We havent seen anything yet. Droughts, Floods, Earthquakes, Disease, Tornadoes, Tsunamis, etc, are only going to get worse and worse.

Everyone can see this for themselves already, hence the reason this thread is getting so many posts.

Watch and observe. God is trying to get peoples attention, but not many pay attention until it is to late.

Cheers
mono

Screening on the ABC on Thursday at 8.30 pm, is,..

.....The Great Global Warming Swindle......

I will be watching with great interest.

See ya's.

Hi Guys

Since global warming has become the rage haven't heard anything about the Ozone Layer and how big the hole was over the Antarctic.

Regards

Hi Guys

Since global warming has become the rage haven't heard anything about the Ozone Layer and how big the hole was over the Antarctic.

Regards

The good guys are claiming a win there. The hole is shrinking but who really knows why? :)

Global "warming" seems a very remote concept at the moment, as I sit here absolutely freezing in the coldest winter I can every remember in far North Queensland!!

What's it down to glucose, 25 deg C or something ??

Instead of sitting there in your King Gee stubbies, Hard Yakka blue truckies singlet and double pluggers.....why not put on a nice long white turtle neck skivvy, some biege courdaroy slacks and snug pair of spiffing Julius Marlows.....that'll do the trick. ;)

Well, yeah okay Daz, it might still get to 25 during the day, but RIGHT NOW it's bloody cold - must be down around 15 or so! Weather forecast is for min of 9 deg tonight. Now , for us, that really is cold, and I'm actually sitting here in an old pair of tracky pants that I had to go searching for and drag out of storage last week. Usually winter consists of having to have a blanket on the bed for a couple of nights a year, but this year the old blanket was dragged out weeks ago and is still in use.
Darn, can't really move any further north to escape the cold!!
Hang on, I hope this extended cold weather up here doesn't decrease the value of our IP's here, by stopping the influx of people escaping the cold down south!

12 deg indoor and 9 outdoor.

As glucose says. Coldest wettest winter ever. We've had six weeks of this when normally you might get six cold nights all winter.

What's it down to glucose, 25 deg C or something ??

Instead of sitting there in your King Gee stubbies, Hard Yakka blue truckies singlet and double pluggers..... ;)

I know you must be talking about clothes, coz I recognize the word singlet (even though we call them muscle shirts).
I think its fun how different countries who speak English,have different words for things.

We are in the middle of summer here, but it has been raining, overcast and cold so much, you certainly wouldn't even know it.We are having a hard time getting to 25 C most days.

Back