Cockney Rhyming Slang

Sim

Administrator
Based on a misunderstanding in another thread, I thought I would start a list of cockney rhyming slang terms which are still in common use in Australia.

For anyone not familiar with the term, try this explanation on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang

These are terms I've heard used:

seppo = septic tank = yank = someone from the United States ("we lost the basketball to the seppos, again")

dog and bone = telephone ("he called on the dog and bone")

trouble and strife = wife ("I got caught by the trouble and strife")

dead horse = sauce (usually tomato) ("want some dead horse on your snag?")

loaf = loaf of bread = head ("use your loaf, son")

brass tacks = facts ("let's get down to the brass tacks")

porky = pork pie = lie ("you telling porkies?")

... I looked through a list of rhyming slang online, but couldn't find any others which I've heard used recently.

While some people might be offended by associating "yank" with "septic tank", I think it's more intended to be cheeky rather than derogatory ... in the same way you refer to your wife as your "trouble and strife".

Can anyone else think of any other rhyming slang terms which are still in common usage?

Frog and toad = road
I've heard "frog and toad" as "one for the road" close to the end of an evening's drinking.

Though it's been nearly two years since I've had any alcohol, and a number more since I've been out on a big night. I don't know if the term is used any more.

I don't think there are many people that use the slang.. my brother in law uses it all the time though. He usually says "It's time to hit the frog and toad" (road) = lets go now!

A workmate from the UK says "He/She doesn't have a scooby". Scooby = Scooby Doo = Clue

Sadly the colourful and witty dialects of our past seem to be disappearing, but language is a living thing so other terms and phrases replace the old ones. This is painfully obvious every time my teenage son attempts to communicate with me :confused::confused::confused:

Usually their dialect is imported from the US but then rhyming slang was an import as well although we feel we own it. How many times do you hear the term "buddy" these days? It almost feels like part of the local vernacular now, but as an older "dude" it makes me grind my teeth.

The only one I have heard in recent years is "Bag of fruit" = Suit

I remember as kids we used "Keith" as a farewell.
Usually pronounced "Keef"

Keith Slater = See ya later,
probably a WA thing.

Cheers,
Beef

(edit) Nearly forgot the all time Aussie Classic "Reg Grundies" = Undies

some newer ones I heard recently

battle = battlecruiser = boozer = pub
britneys = britney spears = beers
ruby = ruby murray = curry

I use a few with mates. Most have been mentioned already but a couple of others would be...

Bin Lids - Kids
Steve McQueens - Pair of Jeans
Threpenny Bits - Errr....you can probably guess that one, (ladies parts)
Ertha Kits - ***** (as in I've got them), or also "I'm going for an Ertha"

Back in the UK we used to refer to our local rag "The Sun" as the "Current Bun"

I don't hear much slang - but quite of lot of Aussie sayings are still in use

Dry as a dead dingo's donga - or - dry as an Arab sandshoe
Flat out like a lizard drinking
Stone the crows
Fairdinkum

Plus a lot more that I hear but they don't register because I'm so used to them ... or maybe it's just me that uses them :eek:

While some people might be offended by associating "yank" with "septic tank", I think it's more intended to be cheeky rather than derogatory ... in the same way you refer to your wife as your "trouble and strife".

I think the N word came from the Latin "Nero" which means black. Does that make it OK too Sim?

Calling somebody trouble and strife is far removed from calling an entire nation of people a tank of sh**.

That's the problem with how we think in Australia. Our sense of "humor" is totally out of line. That you did not ban this man - and I don't care what his post count was - reflects a lack of even handedness.

No I don;t get the joke. It makes Australia - my country of choice - look backward and ignorant. What you call cheeky is considered racist.

Let's not go into the origin of b00ng, another supposedly humorous word to describe indigenous Aussies when they are hit by a car.

Shame on you Sim for not banning the twit and for perpetuating this kind of nonsense.

Back