Cockney Rhyming Slang

Oi, this is ‘straya mate. **** taking is our right. If you’re too precious to either give it or cop it then drink a glass of cement and harden up.

I constantly terrorise my coworkers from the UK, NZ and USA and they do the same to me, I love it and they do too.

On topic.

Guy McKenna – a tenner – 10 dollar bill (chuck us a guy mckenna)
Chockie Mousse – Goose – (that blokes a chockie mousse)

Pom => pomegranate => immigrant (who has maybe taken too much sun down under)

Probably not invented by the Brits I would suggest!

For years I thought it stood for prisoner of mother England.

Others that I grew up with made reference to this on a few occasions although probably more so as a way to stir their POMMIE (as they were commonly referred to) mates.

Lots of POMS in SA btw.

One that I hear quite often is "going to see a man about a dog" which is about going to see someone about a job.
But it doesn't rhyme so it confuses me.

Having a Mum who was a cockney (eldest of 11 kids who all had lots of kids too) I have lots of English rellies predominately from London and Londoners are the most prolific users of rhyming slang as this is where it originated.

My cousin often 'needs a Jimmy Riddle' or 'Jimmy' for short. Jimmy Riddle-piddle.

And her ring tone on my phone is a recording of her saying "Your rag & bone is ringing".

All the others mentioned are regularly used too including the obviously Aussie ones.

Don't forget 'Bristols' - Bristols cities - t*tties.

Having a Mum who was a cockney (eldest of 11 kids who all had lots of kids too) I have lots of English rellies predominately from London and Londoners are the most prolific users of rhyming slang as this is where it originated.

My cousin often 'needs a Jimmy Riddle' or 'Jimmy' for short. Jimmy Riddle-piddle.

And her ring tone on my phone is a recording of her saying "Your rag & bone is ringing".

All the others mentioned are regularly used too including the obviously Aussie ones.

Don't forget 'Bristols' - Bristols cities - t*tties.

Do they check the time on their 'kettle' to see if they're late for an appointment to get their 'Hampsteads' checked?
Wonder if their dentist is a '4 x 2'?

Do they check the time on their 'kettle' to see if they're late for an appointment to get their 'Hampsteads' checked?
Wonder if their dentist is a '4 x 2'?

Can't say that I've heard those. I got Hamsteads (Hamstead Heath=teeth), but I'm lost on the 'kettle' and is 4x2-wood (good)?

Just thought of a couple of others he used whilst re-reading this thread

Cheese & Kisses = Missus
Khyber pass = ****
Charlie Hunt =
Dipstick =
Porky pies = lies

Back