Collecting rental arrears

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum as you would know from my post today in the General Forum...

I am a debt collector in Brisbane. I am happy to give some tips on collecting debt (eg.: rental arrears) if you need it. At least I can contribute a little while I learn so much!

Feel free to email or send a message on Yahoo Instant Messenger!

Hope to help you lots,

Daniel said:
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum as you would know from my post today in the General Forum...

I am a debt collector in Brisbane. I am happy to give some tips on collecting debt (eg.: rental arrears) if you need it. At least I can contribute a little while I learn so much!

Feel free to email or send a message on Yahoo Instant Messenger!

Hope to help you lots,

Thanks for the offer Daniel

Another way to do it would be to post your tips here on the forum and we could all benefit

Hi Michael!

Sure, I was considering writing a "Rental Arrears Collection 101" document, since it would save time answering individual questions (have already had a few).

If everyone asks all the questions they EVER wanted to know about collecting money owed to them, post them here, and I will include a few of the most common questions in the document.

Post now! I will commence writing in a few days, once I have the questions. Any urgent questions? Feel free to email or call.

Thanks Daniel. I'll start :)

1. How much does a tenant need to be in arrears (after the bond has been also used up as payment) before the Rental Tribunal will consider garnishing their wages?

Thanks in advance

Hi Daniel

1. What are the ways of collecting rent arrears (or other outstanding monies), awarded by Residential Tribunal, from the unemployed and others receiving Govt benefits ?
2. What are the legal methods of tracking skippers available to most IP owners, or, available databases which anyone can subscribe to ?
3. By what method and how much does a debt collector charge clients ?
4. Can a debt collector legally sieze a motor vehicle ? Boat ? How ?

I've gotta say, the best way to handle rent arrears is to avoid them in the first place, by spending the extra time and $$'s vetting tenants. As we all know, good tenants don't default, and the marginal ones don't want to be on the Tenancy databases like TICA. And the others I try not to think about. However, some arrears are a fact of life.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks Daniel.
cheers
crest133

Last edited:
Q: What are the rules regarding collecting rental arrears by showing up at the rental property and knocking on the door? Is this allowed? How many letters do you need to send out before doing this?
Q: Do you have to hire a Debt Collector to do this for you, or can you do it yourself? Does it help to bring along some friends? (this last one is a joke in case you couldn't tell :))

mckennal said:
Q: What are the rules regarding collecting rental arrears by showing up at the rental property and knocking on the door? Is this allowed? How many letters do you need to send out before doing this?
Q: Do you have to hire a Debt Collector to do this for you, or can you do it yourself? Does it help to bring along some friends? (this last one is a joke in case you couldn't tell :))
mckennal,

It may help to specify what state. Rules can vary.

crest133 said:
Hi Daniel

1. What are the ways of collecting rent arrears (or other outstanding monies), awarded by Residential Tribunal, from the unemployed and others receiving Govt benefits ?
2. What are the legal methods of tracking skippers available to most IP owners, or, available databases which anyone can subscribe to ?
3. By what method and how much does a debt collector charge clients ?
4. Can a debt collector legally sieze a motor vehicle ? Boat ? How ?

I've gotta say, the best way to handle rent arrears is to avoid them in the first place, by spending the extra time and $$'s vetting tenants. As we all know, good tenants don't default, and the marginal ones don't want to be on the Tenancy databases like TICA. And the others I try not to think about. However, some arrears are a fact of life.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks Daniel.
cheers
crest133

Queries relate to NSW

Back