Coloured vs Stenciled Concrete

Hi all,

Is there a difference between Coloured vs Stenciled concrete? We are getting the driveway to our townhouse repaired (water pipe burst).

The strata manager had a few quotes for us and there's about $600 - $1000 difference between Coloured and Stenciled concrete.

I tried googling it but both search came with the same images :eek:

From the name, one would deduce stenciled concrete are basically coloured concrete with patterns. Is that all there is to it?

Is it worth the extra investment (these townhouses are all IPs I believe) ?

Thanks in advance:
Ash

Coloured concrete usually means the batch is coloured, which means the concrete is coloured the whole way through and stenciled concrete is usually where they put down a stencil and paint the concrete with a epoxy.

I would go with a coloured concrete for durability

Tradies recommendation for Driveway Concrete/Pavers

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend Pavers type tradies in Melbourne? (Servicing Mornington Peninsula/Carrum area).

The body corporeate are looking to concrete garden beds in our townhouse's common area.

I personally would go for the stenciled as I have colored concrete and it is fading after a couple of years.
Mine was a powder thrown on top of the wet concrete and troweled in.
This is probably what they will do.:(

Coloured concrete usually means the batch is coloured, which means the concrete is coloured the whole way through and stenciled concrete is usually where they put down a stencil and paint the concrete with a epoxy.

I would go with a coloured concrete for durability

Epoxy is not used,it is a cement based colour hardener.

I personally would go for the stenciled as I have colored concrete and it is fading after a couple of years.
Mine was a powder thrown on top of the wet concrete and troweled in.
This is probably what they will do.:(
What you are referring to is one and the same,the only difference being no stencil pattern was applied to your concrete. All textured/coloured concrete will fade if a sealant is not applied annually or every few years depending on foot/car traffic.

Epoxy is not used,it is a cement based colour hardener.

What you are referring to is one and the same,the only difference being no stencil pattern was applied to your concrete. All textured/coloured concrete will fade if a sealant is not applied annually or every few years depending on foot/car traffic.

I didn't pay to apply the clear so I am guilty :mad:
I figured if I had to roll a coat of paint on it I would do it later on.
The concrete man wanted more for a coat of clear than i could have painted it myself so i decided to give it a miss.

Last edited:
Back