Commercial Construction Ideas & Costs

Hi all
Just playing with some options on my industrial Block. 2039sqm of land with a 200sqm odd shed that houses one of my businesses. Site is zoned for heavy industry 3 stories or 11.5m in height, 70% site cover (not GFA but building footprint)

My intention is to build a new 3 story building in the right hand of block, move my business into that and then knock down the shed and then build the rest of the sheds (in a U shape).

Site is on Gold coast and am definitely going 3 storey for my section as offices on the top floor will have outstanding views over the coast (big change from my office now that has no windows). And a 3 storey layout allows for client parking underneath my 2 stories of space.

Just wondering what others with commercial property think of 3 storey not neccessarily 2 levels over parking like mine at the front, but with the high roofs to allow extra high storage or office spaces above. Site is 1 min from pacific highway so good for transport and logistics.

Most of land surrounding mine was developed decades ago and is filled with large sheds tenanted by single users. There is a couple of new and a couple of older smaller strata close but no 3 storey.

As well as chatting to my local agents I thought I would throw the concept at SS also to get some extra feedback. Has anyone done 3 storey industrial, or own 3 storey stuff. Anyone done any recent developments who have a sqm rate for tiltslab sheds.

RPI

I thought I would throw the concept at SS also to get some extra feedback. Has anyone done 3 storey industrial, or own 3 storey stuff. Anyone done any recent developments who have a sqm rate for tiltslab sheds.

Hi RPI,

You're about 3 or 4 years ahead of me, but I'll be keenly observing your experiences for how you go with this.

It would great if you could detail the steps involved as you proceed into your development, along with all of the relevant numbers.

Look forward to learning off you, and anyone else on SS who has done this before.

Commercial construction is something i plan to tackle in the not too distant future, and will be keen to see some replies in this thread.

Looking forward to learning from you also, so please share.

hi RPI
what you are going to do or should do is 2 storey comm and one top resi
and is very common
you will need to have separate parking and separate entry and exit for the resi
if you are going to do it right do it with a lift bit more expense but the return is alot better as you will have a three storey walk up if not and that becomes a pain after a while and people will be put of by it.
these types of development have a niche as the comm area has noone tere at night so is usually very quiet I have a couple of people that live in them and think its the ants pants no problem for parking and can play soccer in the car park at weekends as they have vast areas of parking with nothing on it.
no problem for noise either as there is no neigbours.
the design is very simple and when you do the tilt designe you do the resi in tilt and then just fit it out with high quality as this is where your money is.
make sure that the resi is designed so that it can if need be changed to a corporate office space if need be and then you have 3 storey comm which if leased correctly is worth more.
not sure of the tilt price as it depends the area nad if the tilt is done on site or is brought in.
oh and do a flat concrete roof with bbq and pool or spa

what you are going to do or should do is 2 storey comm and one top resi and is very common

If its zoned heavy industrial I doubt you will get approval to add the resi up top?
I'm also interested in this thread as we are into council as of last week to develop an 8 level commercial on a mixed use site in a commercial precinct.
First five floors office, and top three residential. Two floors of apartments and a penthouse on the top floor. There are also two levels of basement for parking.
It appears we do not need seperate lifts for the commercial so big saving there.
Anyway, will provide more details as we progress towards DA

kp

hi kph
you will find that on a sliding scale the resi is the lowest and 4ba airport related business or hotel sites are the highest.if you look at the zoning you will see that resi is allowed on most sites even industrial if the infrastructre is there for the waste etc.
the reason that most people don't add it is that they can be hardto resell as they have a limited market.
have a chat with your council and doing the resi is not the major issue.
resi and comm is not a major problem as long as you are within the council requirements for height ahd bulk
also resi and comm have different parking space requirements.

Hi RPI
A while ago I helped out building a 9 story carpark and appartments the whole project was around 9 mil. Heres some photos if your interested.

Picture1.jpg

crane016a.jpg

crane032a.jpg

Hi Gross
Yes Resi is possible although impact assesable if within 500m of extractive industries. Hadn't thought of that. The site has excellent views from Burleigh Heads to Surfers so that is a possibility. Will have to think that one over. Excellent views, quiet at night also possiblity of people who own the business downstairs living upstairs.

Mark P
yes there is no other 3 storey in my estate. Attached is very rough site plan. The square metre quoted is footprint only as council requirements only relate to this and not GFA. Have another 100sqm to play with before maxing out so may overhang top storey of some of the buildings. Also still have more parking to draw in but have not been to keen to fill in too much detail while still developing concept.

Attachments

• Site plan Doc.doc
    29 KB · Views: 130
Back