Commute times

The 'Life in Adelaide' thread got me wondering what people's commute times were, and what they thought was acceptable/desired and what they don't think is.

Would you move jobs or house for better commute times?

Both commutes for me are similar distance, at around 12 minutes each way for light traffic to about 18 in heavy - work in 2 different workplaces.

I could not tolerate spending more than 1.5 hrs total in travelling to work if fulltime.

I'm always amazed when i hear of some of the long commute people do, like 2 hours each way that someone mentioned here :confused:.

Surely EVERYONE thinks 4 hours travel per day is insane - assuming there are options and they don't absolutely have to do that.

btw I wrote travel times as 10 min to the cbd for a bunch of suburbs I posted links to in the 'Adelaide' thread, but those times would probably be closer to 15 min.

It's one of the benefits of living in Canberra - it's pretty rare that I'd ever need to spend more than 30 mins in the car.

Cheers

Jamie

6-8 minutes depending how fast I walk :p

I moved from Melbourne for my job (where I had an almost 1 hour commute each way on the train which I hated) so tried to find a place as close as possible to my place of work. Makes such a big difference to my day. I wouldn't want to spend more than about 15 minutes each way.

I'm loving the 15min bike ride from door to door.. I'd be willing to except up to 40mins riding (on a bike path) as it's quite therapeutic.

About an hour, which is bearable only once you are used to it (not sure if that makes sense)

Many years ago I lived on the central coast and the local radio station had a competition to see who had the longest commute.

Some guy was driving from north of Newcastle, to Botany, every day....

36hrs work to home.
53hrs home to work.

But once Im at work how ever long it takes me to walk about 80m - I have never bothered to time it. :D

Hubby commutes. Takes approx 1.5hrs each way. It sucks big time. Worse still is that often he can't leave work at the office and brings it home with him.

He's just interviewed for a new job 6 mins from home. Huge drop in pay, but hey, money isn't everything. Hope he gets it.

As for why he'd do it in the first place? Well, firstly there aren't a lot of jobs in his industry that are close to home.

To be serious - when I was living in oz, it used to take me about 35mins to drive to work + however long to find a parking spot. Alternatively I could ride my bike and it would, on a 'fit' day, take 22mins or up to 26mins on a 'lazy' day.

I think it depends on where you are living. I know some people who live in semi-rural areas and they say the extra driving time (up to about 2hrs) is outweighed by the life they live by being out of the city.

I used to date a girl who lived about 2.5hrs from my work, and I would spend the weekend with her, then drive to work on Monday morning. It would mean getting up at about 5am. I didnt think it was too bad, but wouldnt want to do it everyday (plus I was only going one way - I dont think I would want to drive back that evening).

Blacky

15-20mins door to door, depending on how long I have to wait for the bus.

Moving to different part of town which will be longer commute. not looking forward to that.

15 mins to drive 5km (sydney traffic!), 17 by walking and train, or 35 if jogging. Wish i could ride but i don't fancy my chances on parramatta road...

Depends.

Couple of days a week it's 1 hr each way.

Other times it's 25 seconds to walk from the bedroom to the study.

I live in the inner west (Sydney) and work in the CBD. 15 minutes on the train (newspaper reading time) and a few minutes walk either side of the train trip.

When I worked in the advertising industry, I knocked back a higher paying job in North Sydney because I couldn't bear the thought of having to cross the Harbour Bridge every day. (I also knocked back a job in Adelaide, but that was for a different reason.)

Living in the house I own: 2min drive or 10 min walk to train station, then 35 min train ride. (and Vice Versa)

From my current place: 2 drive or 10 minute walk to train, then 20 minute train ride. (and vice versa)

add up to 5 minutes waiting for the train, but usually less.

10 mins each way by car.
At least double that by pushbike but from home to work is downhill part of the way so the ride home takes longer and I have to make time to get changed at work.
Under an hour by shanks pony.
About an hour by bus which would include some 15 mins of walking and a bus change and some waiting.
About an hour by train which would include 30 mins of walking plus some waiting.

I like living close to work but with other jobs I have had that required long commutes it meant I had to go to bed earlier. It's something that you get used to.

working from my bedroom at present... so 0 travel time. hopefully once renos are finished my office will move into the office, so it will be 1 minute travel time or so. But the view in the bedroom is much better, so perhaps I will stay here.

30-40 minutes. Actually really enjoy the buffer between work and home. Listen to the news, unwind and switch off from work before hitting the turmoil of three young kids.

I love where I live and a relatively long commute is an insignificant price to pay.

15-20 mins each way for me, and I even cross a state border doing so :D. I used to live in Sydney (Beecroft) many years ago and commuted daily to Richmond which took about an hour each way - never again!

Back