Computer with no sound

Bit frustrated with my computer at the moment, all the sound including windows sounds have vanished.

I recently installed a 1TB Seagate external HDD and all seemed ok, however next boot up the system crashed and I unplugged the HDD as that seemed to trigger the problem. However I just noticed the sound has gone.

* Have uninstalled another program that I installed in the last few days, otherwise nothing should have changed.
* Can't find any seagate software to uninstall?
* Have tried system restores up to 1 month ago, though Windows tells me nothing has changed and won't restore till then.
* Have tried working with and without External HDD attached.

Where did my sound go and how can I get it back? I'm guessing it's something to do with the External HDD install files?! Can't isolate it down to anything else at the moment.

silly question, but did the cable to the speakers come out of the port of the soundcard at the back of your PC?
Just opened up the case and am having a look, can't see anything obvious that is unplugged. Could be a possibility though.

It's an ASUS P5k motherboard, trying to drill down some more specifics now.

Im guessing your sound driver is missing, what PC is it?

Please link me to the exact model on the companies website?

Thanks
I don't think I have a specific sound card, I think it's on board sound with the motherboard, been a while since I paid attention though, still digging for answers online.

ok...

Just tried the rear speaker jack and that is working fine... hmmm no idea why the front isn't working.. Oh well have a long cord and life is too short to worry as this seems like a decent alternative to getting tech support to pay me a visit :)

I don't think I have a specific sound card, I think it's on board sound with the motherboard, been a while since I paid attention though, still digging for answers online.

EDIT: Sorry just saw your post above.. good news then :)

Weird... if it suddenly stopped working then either the HDD and the Soundcard are conflicting or really the cable that goes from your speaker into the back of your PC/Motherboard soundcard just came out. No Driver installed could be a possibility but I doubt it as it was just working fine before the HDD. Worth a look though

Last edited:
My mic mutes itself for no apparent reason and I don't realise until I'm called on Skype and they can't hear me. I've never muted it, but it does have mute ticked when this happens. Don't know why it does it, but like you as long as I can get things to work when I actually need them to with workarounds or resets - fine!

Have you been into Control Panel-Sounds & Audio Devices and checked the settings? Anything muted? Try under the Advanced buttons as well and look under Options.

Have you been into Control Panel-Sounds & Audio Devices and checked the settings? Anything muted? Try under the Advanced buttons as well and look under Options.
Yes, tried that and it's all fine. Happy that it's working ok now, don't really have to use the front jacks at all.

Back