Concrete Degradation

Hey everyone,

I have an apartment in Innaloo, Perth. The strata has recently had a building surveyor around to inspect the property. We have been told that the balcony ballastrade reinforcements surrounding the complex are rusting causing the concrete to degrade. It is currently only in patches of about 100mm x 100mm around the reinforcements that the concrete is starting to crumble. There are about 50 ballastrade reinforements.

Just wandering how I go about getting this repaired? Does anyone have a very approx estimate of how much the job would cost?

Thanks!

Best to show some pictures of the problem for a proper evaluation.

If the degradation is in the slab under the balustrading then this is called concrete cancer. I posted some info on this here

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62553&highlight=concrete+cancer

At this point is sounds like you have the concrete balustrading with the steel in the concrete uprights rusting. If this is the case then it is relatively simple to replace these with steel/ aluminium balustrading. One problem area is what the concrete uprights are sitting on.

Just to replace the balustrating on a 3500mm balcony I was quoted about a $1000 which was just supply and install, all preparation not included.

Cheers

This is kind of what it looks like. The balcony at my complex though just has the steel balustrading all the way along as it's not holding anything up. Where the balustrade is embedded into the concrete it has started to rust causing the concrete to crumble away.

Not sure if that helps at all?

Back