17 yr old car 140,000 kms Versus investing

Would you say 10 years AND / OR 200000kms?

What about those of us with 10 plus year cars but only about 110 000kms?
If it's German made in Stuttgart then you would know there is another 500plus klm to go on the motor as long as you run their oils,,second hand cars these days are worth nothing if you know how to buy them,..

Any bites?

Or, has it been "tyre kicker central" with a bazillion ridiculous low ball offers?

Great fun trying to sell a sec/hand car privately....not.

No low ball offers as yet, one nibble who I'm hoping will come up and see it next weekend and 4 Nigerian scamers :rolleyes:

Painful process as you say.

HI BV

I posted about how you should be posting on FB. The last couple of pages are exactly the sort of conversation you should be trying to foster on FB. It's real! When should I replace my car, what sort, what models, models that are hard to get parts for, costs, fuel economy, safety etc etc?

The big problem is you don't have enough likes/friends/groupies. How do you get more (as I said I don't think competitions are the answer)?

I'd imagine your staff are mostly car enthusiasts? If they are, then it's likely that a good portion of their friends are too. And the friends of your staff who are car illiterate hold your staff out as unbiased experts. I think you could work with this. Could you allow your staff to post on facebook during quiet periods?

I've just put my Golf on Carsales if anyone wants a VW Golf R ;)

BV, I know I keep banging on about FB - but it seems you don't want to spend $$'s so with FB you only spend time.

This sort of thing is another example of what you should be posting on FB.

Not a sales pitch - don't post - 2006 VW golf, excellent condition, low ks, electric windows, heated seats, sat nav, log book, only driven by granny to church, cheap at $xxx, blah blah.

But rather - Hey guys I know someone who's selling a 2006 Golf R, Get in touch if you're interested.

edit - oh and make sure you post pics on FB!

It's a tough call.

I'm of the mentality of buying a 1-2 year old second hand car, service it as it should be and keep it for a long time.

Totally agree with this mentality. Absolutely stupid buying a new car when you have so many people changing cars every couple years either because they want a new car every couple years or they get in trouble.

I paid $10k less for my car that was 2 years old because the 21 yr old kid I bought it from couldnt keep up the repayments. It had 7k on the clock.

I also have mates that for some reason buy a new car every 2 years, none of them own property, money just gets wasted like this.

Totally agree with this mentality. Absolutely stupid buying a new car when you have so many people changing cars every couple years either because they want a new car every couple years or they get in trouble.

I paid $10k less for my car that was 2 years old because the 21 yr old kid I bought it from couldnt keep up the repayments. It had 7k on the clock.

I also have mates that for some reason buy a new car every 2 years, none of them own property, money just gets wasted like this.

what sort of car is that ? camry ? :) where do you go to find these deals i am after 86 GTS or BRZ with 10k less retail tag. ^^

what sort of car is that ? camry ? :) where do you go to find these deals i am after 86 GTS or BRZ with 10k less retail tag. ^^

Mazda 6. Got it from Carsales.com

Sorry if I confused, I didn't pay 10k less than all the other used Mazda 6 on that site, I paid a little less because REVS would have shown the vehicle encumbered and a lot of people don't want to deal with that situation.

What I meant was that I bought this car for 10k less than its RRP that the original owner paid.

That goes for all cars. My criteria will always be, 2 years old and less than 10 on the clock. You will still have warranty and very unlikely to have anything wrong.

Mazda 6. Got it from Carsales.com

Sorry if I confused, I didn't pay 10k less than all the other used Mazda 6 on that site, I paid a little less because REVS would have shown the vehicle encumbered and a lot of people don't want to deal with that situation.

What I meant was that I bought this car for 10k less than its RRP that the original owner paid.

That goes for all cars. My criteria will always be, 2 years old and less than 10 on the clock. You will still have warranty and very unlikely to have anything wrong.

I don't get the whole issue people have with finance on a car. As long as the amount is equal to or less than the purchase price you just make out the cheque to the finance institution with the balance to the owner. It's not that hard.

I'd never touch one where there was more than the cars value owing.

HI BV

I posted about how you should be posting on FB. The last couple of pages are exactly the sort of conversation you should be trying to foster on FB. It's real! When should I replace my car, what sort, what models, models that are hard to get parts for, costs, fuel economy, safety etc etc?

The big problem is you don't have enough likes/friends/groupies. How do you get more (as I said I don't think competitions are the answer)?

I'd imagine your staff are mostly car enthusiasts? If they are, then it's likely that a good portion of their friends are too. And the friends of your staff who are car illiterate hold your staff out as unbiased experts. I think you could work with this. Could you allow your staff to post on facebook during quiet periods?
LOL!

The older guy on my team is an 85 year old in a 56 year old body - no mobile phone, no answering machine on the home phone, no computer, can't use my computer at work, can't see, is bloody deaf....:D

The other guy is a bit better; can use a computer a bit, and even owns one plus a mobile. ;)

But I get what you mean. Thanks for the input.

The older guy on my team is an 85 year old in a 56 year old body - no mobile phone, no answering machine on the home phone, no computer, can't use my computer at work, can't see, is bloody deaf....:D

Are you saying one of your mechanics/workers is 85 years old?

Are you saying one of your mechanics/workers is 85 years old?
No; he's 56, but he lives his life like an 85 year old in many ways; technology-phobic, listens and watches only ABC.

Even drives down to Rosebud to do his banking over the counter every Friday during lunchbreak. There is an ATM 30metres from our shop.

He's single, lives like Steptoe, wears overalls all the time outside of work, drives all the way to Mentone to the same barber for last 20 odd years, and so on.

Great mechanic though, but a bit slow - thinks he's wandering around tinkering in his shed at home with his old wrecks.

Gets the occasional rev-up from me, but I love him, generally.

One of my sons friends bought an 86 and sold it second hand for 10k MORE than the list price...

Some deals ain't gonna happen .

Cliff

One of my sons friends bought an 86 and sold it second hand for 10k MORE than the list price...

Some deals ain't gonna happen .

Cliff

this is true that cause there is high demand and you have to wait 6 months for one to be delivered. i know a guy who ordered 2 and sold one and make a handsome amount just timing i guess.

he told me to do it but i didnt think it would happen (on brand new car) even thought i have made some profits with seconds before i doubt anyone would pay higher premium to get one straight away. just shows being optimistic is great for an investor who knows what he is doing.

Mercedes benz right now is offering 6500 off their recommended retail price of 65000 for their entry level C class sedan.

Is this a really good deal? I have often wondered how much profit a mercedes dealer makes from selling a c class sedan for 65000 but clearly, they make more than 6500 per sale.

Mercedes benz right now is offering 6500 off their recommended retail price of 65000 for their entry level C class sedan.

Is this a really good deal? I have often wondered how much profit a mercedes dealer makes from selling a c class sedan for 65000 but clearly, they make more than 6500 per sale.

They make the money on finance and servicing.

Car dealers are finance dealers. The cars are just the product.

Of course it's not a good deal. You'll be paying over $65k for a German taxi that will cost a fortune to insure and maintain.

Back