Concrete Driveway

Hi all,
We're getting someone to re-do the driveway and some other parts. So, basically, full excavation and starting from scratch. We need coloured concrete (charcoal). Got two quotes. One guy will mix the dye directly into the concrete. Second guy spray/spread as soon as the concrete is poured. Second guy seal it as well. Does anyone know which method last long?

Mixing the dye directly with the concrete is expensive. Been reading on the internet and the it appears that second method produces a chemical reaction and binds with the concrete.

Anyone has any feedback on which method is long lasting?

Thanks in advance.

If the oxide is put into the mix then regardless of how much wear you have the colour won't change.

If you have grey concrete with colour application on top you can have many years of good colour but will eventually wesr through. Ask for jobs that they have done 5-10 years ago.

Thanks Scott.

Been reading bit more. It appears that putting the colour through concrete weakens it. I have about 180 SQM. I'd rather have patches on the concrete than cracks :confused:

you get what you pay for. how much difference is there?
depending how long i was going to hold onto this property would depend what i would choose to do.

also as for weakening it surely it wouldnt weaken it too much...
a decent base and mesh and it shouldnt crack anyway
just get some control lines cut in there so if it does crack it cracks along them anyway.

you get what you pay for. how much difference is there?
depending how long i was going to hold onto this property would depend what i would choose to do.

also as for weakening it surely it wouldnt weaken it too much...
a decent base and mesh and it shouldnt crack anyway
just get some control lines cut in there so if it does crack it cracks along them anyway.

Difference is about $1000. Going by the quotes, adding colouring is about $950. This is PPOR.

Thanks Scott.

Been reading bit more. It appears that putting the colour through concrete weakens it. I have about 180 SQM. I'd rather have patches on the concrete than cracks :confused:

I have never heard that the addition of oxide affects the strength, causes shrinkage or has other performance issues. Batch consistency can be an issue but you are only talking 27 m3 @ 150 mm with F72 on 100mm chairs which should be poured in one hit then the joints saw cut the next day. Oxide should be added at the rate of 1 bag/m3 and thoroughly mixed.

I only went 100mm with 55mm chairs for my driveway.
why would you do 150mm?

* Bad habits.
* The Australian Standard calls for 50 mm cover to the reo.
*The reo should be on the top 1/3 of the slab.
* Cars aren't necessarily the only vehicle to drive over the paving.

Back