Concrete Slab infront of Unit

Hi all :

I need bit of advice/help from all the experienced people out here, regarding my problem.

I have got this concrete slab infront of my unit and its seperated from the actual body of the unit. Its actually a straircase that acts as entrance of my unit.

Its gradually sinking towards one side and theres crak building up between the slab and the unit. There is also a wooden rail on this slab that connects to the body of the unit with some screws etc. So as the slab is sinking, its probably exerting a bit of pressure on the unit too.

Just wondering what would be the best solution in this case? can I just detach the hand rail from the unit and let the slab sink as much as it can OR should I fix up the slab as soon as possible. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
DreamzUnlimited

YOU should not be doing anything apart from reporting it to the Body Corporate. It is a BC responsibility to have it looked at and then repaired. Write a letter to the BC so the issue can be raised at the next meeting.

OK - look there are strata titles where everything outside of your front door and windows are all BC responsibility...... and then there are strata tiles that go "fence to fence".

I had assumed you were in an older unit block.

You will need to check where your title extends to. It will be on the title docs from when you purchased your property......also you could ask your conveyancer / solicitor as they should also have it on file.

Hi there :

I was told by my BC that its my responsibility to fix that as its within my title !

I am bit confused now.

Cheers!

We owned a unit that needed re-tiling. We fought long and hard with the BC but eventually had to accept that as it was on our title and we had the exclusive use of it, then it was up to us to repair it.

If it is on your title (check) AND you have exclusive use of it (you should if it is on your title) then it MAY be up to you to repair. Maybe longer screws?

What is underneath? Friends had their outdoor area retiled by the BC as their outdoor area was on the roof of the car parking area, which was a BC responsibility. BC retiled it because of this, I reckon they got lucky!!
Marg

Back