Connecting services to different street front - problems?

Hi everyone,

Please could you give me your experienced wise words about connecting services of one block to 2 streets?

Looking at a prop on a weird face 800m2 wedge block that has 2 street fronts. Street slopes from road1 to road 2. Existing prop situated close to road1 at narrow end of wedge and is on stilts so still drains to road 1. Currently there is not enough access down side to put another property out the back, but would be in the future if house demolished. (Couldn't afford that as yet but would be a definite future strategy.)

At the moment, looking at putting granny flat out the back to improve cash-flow.

Question - could we connect services to road 2 to avoid pumping storm water up hill? There is already an adjacent house that faces that road front 2. However, for future development the rear access for a drive would be too steep so the block would have to be battleaxed and have the address listed as road 1.

Would any of this matter?
Thanks once again for your help, you guys are great :D

There should be no issue at all as far as ny experience goes. A quick visit (or phone call) to the council duty planner would clear this up. As long as your land abutts council road reserve (nature strip) there should be no probs - of course you have to lodge an application to do so like any other section 68 stormwater and sewer works.

Make sure you check with council!

Thanks so much Rockstar I thought you would know!
Good luck with the duplex #5 by the way and thanks for posting - I always learn from your blogs!!:D

You would need to check with your electricity supplier if they will allow 2 supplies to one block. need to explain that it id a second dwelling and not attached to the other house. 2 supplies to one property can pose safety issues.

You can do what you said above. Everything is possible, and utility companies are usually pretty good about it so long as you pay for everything (imo their favorite phrase is "at the developers expense" :rolleyes: ).

Anyway the first thing to do is take a look at your title document/council maps and find out where existing services/easements are. When you know what's going on, you can then make a decision about which avenue is the most cost effective. If there is an easement downhill that you'd like to connect to, utility companies will actually prefer that, since active pumping systems etc can break down and cause problems for everybody.

In regards to electricity services to the other side of the property, that wont be a problem either, except that you may have to nominate part of both properties as being an easement for that purpose. Obviously, rules apply to easements when it comes to developing, such as that you cannot build over them etc.

Shouldn't be too hard, based on my experience.

Back