Construction cost guide

I have been trying to ascertain a similar concept.

I came across the below link via Dr Google.

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=57941

I had a recent guesstimation of around $9.5k per square (by my understanding equates to $1k per sqm).

Then you see some of the project builders (simmonds, homebuilders etc) talking about around 7.5k per square (approx. $800/sqm).

Anybody have any ideas? Rough guides?

Rawlinson's guide is pretty useless unless you are a QS with the schedule of items used in construction. What is the layman to do? You can work on rough costs per sqm but it is just that, rough.

I was mainly after it for costs other than the building itself such as trenching, concrete etc

Ive never sighted any of the cost guides so am not sure of their contents...

I was mainly after it for costs other than the building itself such as trenching, concrete etc

Ive never sighted any of the cost guides so am not sure of their contents...

The thing is you can't do these things in isolation. Rawlisons' guide is quite rough because it separates prices according to 'low, medium and high' quality. How do you even know what that means? Don't forget discounts with volume builders, mark ups for builders - how do you know what % mark up is appropriate?

All valid points Aaron and I agree.

The reason behind my question is I'm attempting to obtain some pricing for developments without wasting peoples (builders) time so I can run them through my feasibility analysis especially when the land parcel is deep (120m) compared to 50 metres for example.

I understand EagerAchiever and I am in the same position with my developments. But you just have to work on rough figures based on quality. I generally budget $1,500 per sqm for medium quality townhouses and $900 per sqm for underground car parks. Anything else will be above or below that depending on quality.

Back