Construction costs

Hi All

I've had a ballpark estimate of $1200 per square metre (excluding demolition costs) to construct a 280m2 unit block. That sounds a bit low to me, particularly as the site has given big problems to the existing block that's on the site.

Any comments on this ballpark? I thought a figure more around $1400/m2 would be more appropriate, but maybe that's just applicable to larger buildings...

Cheers
N.

Nigel,

IMHO that seems a little low - I dont have a current Rawlinson's or Cordell's on hand but if you have a look at either of these you will be able to get a good idea.

Cheers,

XBenX

Nigel,
I recently did a ballpark for a Sydney developer for 10 units in Cairns which worked out to be $1324m2 living areas only, total cost/living area. (nothing fancy, 5 lots of 2 storey) He did his own figures based on a development he did south coast of Sydney and said he was within $8000 of me over $1.7M. We are currently doing 24 units which work out at $1924m2.

As a rule of thumb I check my ballparks using $1200m2 basic building costs and then add items specific to development. IE DA contributions, scaffolding, quality of fitout, amount of civil work required etc. So I would say that your ballpark is light. I would hazard a guess that Sydney building costs would be a litle higher than I'm quoting but not a heel of a lot.

If you want a ballpark I have a basic (really basic) spreadsheet I can get you or PM me I could ballpark the dev. for you but it won't be for a week.

Steve

Back