Contracts- faxing and scanning?

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help!

I have made an offer on a property which has been accepted and now I am looking to put down a 0.25% deposit, sign the contracts and enter into the cooling off period.

The problem is, the agency who I am purchasing from is about 1.5 hours away. Not that far, I agree but I am a bit snowed under with my day job at the moment. As such, I suggested for the interim that I sign the documents and scan/ email/ or fax them through. Agent is adamant I have to be there in person to sign them.

I realise 1.5 hours away is pretty close, but surely for interstate purchases, the buyer is not expected to fly all the way somewhere just to sign contracts?

Thank you!

What happened to using a courier or AUstralian Post?

I personally use my conveyancor who is local to me and they issue the documents.

For signing contracts, take a day or two to get things done via post. You should have original ink on contracts and it can cause problems if you do things via scans or faxes.

A lot of other documents can be done via scanning where required.

For the contracts that we do up we have a Fax/Email clause in each one as standard. And haven't come across any problems at all. Am in Qld so other staes may be different, of course.
Wording we have is ......
Fax/Email Transmission.
The parties agree that an offer signed by either party and forwarded to the other party by means of facsimile or email transmission in accordance with the provisions of the Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act 2000 shall, upon signing by the other party, be sufficient evidence of the contract and shall be binding upon the parties as an original document.

This Contract may be signed in any number of counterparts with the same effect as if the signatures to each counterpart were all on the same document. Any such counterpart may be transmitted by facsimile or email to a party, executed by that party and returned by facsimile or email. The facsimile/email copy of the executed counterpart shall be as valid and effectual as if the original signature were recorded thereon.

Frizzle :)

Back