Contributions - Cockburn Council

Just got an invoice from City of Cockburn for my 3 unit development, going to cost me $8,215, depending on the size of project etc. could cost much more.

My builder never heard of this, I don't believe City of Stirling have anything like this.

Apparently this is to assist with managing of their infrastructure, I thought taxes ie rates etc. take care of this. Seems like a nice way to increase revenue, just slug the developer.

By the way can not start building until it has been paid.

I was expecting this bill, still peeves me though

Chomp
BTW, you will be paying the same amount, just checked Hammy fees.

I got approval this week but they havnt told me about it as yet that's going to suck

Hi Jacko
it will happen, you are in the system now and you will get something in the mail. Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

Congratulations on your approval

MTR:)

Hi MTR,

is that figure per unit or town house or an all up amount?

Council contributions are supposed to be for added usage of the amenity and infrastructure that extra dwellings/residents would create, such as sewerage, parks, libraries, council parking etc., etc.

Last time I looked in Brisbane (quite a while back) they were hovering around 15-19 K per dwelling.

Are these fees uncommon in Perth or is this over and above the usual CC's?

I agree that's what rates are for, at the end of the day they are getting another 2 x yearly rates for picking up the weekly rubbish !

Hi MTR,

Council contributions are supposed to be for added usage of the amenity and infrastructure that extra dwellings/residents would create, such as sewerage, parks, libraries, council parking etc., etc.

Last time I looked in Brisbane (quite a while back) they were hovering around 15-19 K per dwelling.

In Brisbane, I'm not sure of units, but when you create new lots, you are slugged $15k per lot.

Yip infrastructure contributions, from what i know not all parts of cockburn have to pay this fee. my retain and build was in south lakes and that was $3500 fee. i can remember some thread on hear about the shire of gosnells charging a developer a ridiculous fee for open space levy, i think they appealed it and won though.

Theyre going to make some serious coin from this rezoning.

Will they be forthcoming with this kind of information or just suprise everyone.

No one likes suprises.

Cheers

Just got an invoice from City of Cockburn for my 3 unit development, going to cost me $8,215, depending on the size of project etc. could cost much more.

My builder never heard of this, I don't believe City of Stirling have anything like this.

Apparently this is to assist with managing of their infrastructure, I thought taxes ie rates etc. take care of this. Seems like a nice way to increase revenue, just slug the developer.

Chomp

Ouch.

It's in their Town Planning scheme I assume?

When I enquired about a property in maddington with city of gosnells , their contributions were $110 per square metre. That's $110,000 on a 1000sqm block!

Chomp

Thats City of Cockburn for you....my Cockburn rates alone is $1700.

As a developer these infrastructure charges shouldn't be a surprise.

In NSW the infrastructure charges come under the Section 94 Contributions and are used to pay for:

Open spaces
Park Infrastructure
Sports Facilities
Libraries & Community/Recreation Facilities
Traffic Management Plans
Civic Centre

Etc......

In the Marrickvile council area (Sydney) you are looking at roughly $12,000 per unit.

Its not that they are a surprise, it's whether or not they are warranted is my issue.

In existing suburbs all these amenities are already in place, our taxes and council rates are already paying for the upkeep.

I wouldn't mind so much but my dealings with local council's are fairly similar across the board, they are rude, have a mightier than though attitude, they are very slow and some of the buildings are more like palaces !

i must admit i dont have a huge problem with this. cockburn is by far one of the better run councils out there and theyre doing a lot of good things that ultimately we developers benefit from indirectly.

i agree with the amalgamations in general but think getting rid of cockburn council will prove to be a mistake.

I wouldn't mind so much but my dealings with local council's are fairly similar across the board, they are rude, have a mightier than though attitude, they are very slow and some of the buildings are more like palaces !

i havent had personal dealings with cockburn but have spoken to a fair few people who have and the feedback has been more positive than negative which is rare.

Hi MTR,

Total amount

I live in cockburn swell and like sanj said i think they are well run from all my experiences with them.

whats peoples opinions of the planned carve up of cockburn, why does the government want to do this? do you think the proposed kiwnana/cockburn merge is the best option.

Thought you may have an opinion on this rixter since your in the area.

cheers

We have a Liberal government so they are trying to cut down on the amount of pigs at the teat, that's the way I see it.

When council's allow subdividing they are doubling their intake of rates, but do they double their expenditure ?

Chomp
MTR - Try doing a development in the Ipswich Shire (SE Qld) We had to pay $17,000 for dual occ and that was discounted .... sub-division around $35,000.

Rixter - Half your luck ..... for our dual occ properties combined in Ipswich ... Rates = $755 per quarter. PLUS Water and sewerage also $750 per quarter.

It seems to be where ever you are in NSW the minimum you will pay for rates is over $2000 ..... count yourself lucky if that's all your paying.

On the plus side ... for our sub-division in Goulburn NSW .... it will only cost us a couple of grand for contribution costs.

Mystery

Back