Controlling your own fate

I know of a "plodder" who loves her job so much that she is still there at 73, well respected, doing a fantastic job. She is passionate about it, and her hubby has retired.

We have a guy where I work who is 90 and he still comes in a few hours a day. He has his own little business, and certainly doesn't need the money! His body may be old and frail but he has an amazing mind, if I'm half as brilliant as he is when I'm 90, I'll be happy.

Funny thing, but my idea of "fair" pay is another's idea of "good" pay and others would laugh at how low it is.

Like the length of a piece of string, whether your pay is "fair", "good" or "really good" is not really measurable, because someone is always better off or worse off.

I also find it interesting that nobody I know hates their job. Perhaps that also comes with being a bit older where our friends have done the "dross" jobs and are now "plodding" in a job they enjoy.

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek really. I would hate to be stuck in a job that I hate, and we are "lucky" that we have made our own "luck" and hubby was able to resign at 50 from a job that he had really enjoyed for most of that time. Without our IPs, he would be stuck there.

I know the feeling, been in the same job place for 22 years. Not happy at all, but there is the comfort zone factor. Would love a different job, but to earn the same level of wages, with the hours I do!!

I am telling myself that come April when I am due another lot of LSL might venture out and get another job.

But would dearly love to win that big draw lotto coming up and I would retire and have a little cottage industry business for pocket money.

Change is very diffcult, can understand your friends reluctance.

bvgMy wife and I have tried our hands at different businesses and all failed except one, but even that one wasn't a real money maker so putting aside the denial, all failed.

I make a lot more money working for someone else and the income is stable. What I do is no better or worse then what I had to do working for myself. However, I do not have to keep myself motivated just to survive, and my boss seems happy with my output so good times.

I enjoyed working for myself when money was not an issue however I found it very destructive for me and my relationships when I couldn't provide for my family and I could not see a way out.

I believe that not everyone is meant to have their own business. If it doesn't work for you then it's time to make a change.

Agree 100%. this was also my experience. Running your own business seems like utopia to many people. In reality, its a huge financial stress, particularly if you have employees. I enjoyed running the business, but not paying all the bills, particularly when it meant my family didnt have what they needed.
I cringe when I hear people talk about getting into business and all the flexibility and financial reward they think it will bring. For most business owners, flexibility means working 24/7 and given that most businesses fail, may of them will end up with less money than they had before the business started.
my job now has most of the same responsibilities that I had as a business owner.. I'm just doing it with someone elses money.
Mind you, having run the business has opened up many doors for me in my current role... I couldnt have done what I've done now without the experience of the business failure....

Pen

I find running businesses a double-edged sword.

There is more responsibility and more stress, but there is also more freedom in various ways - if you engineer it that way, and the potential for unlimited income.

For example; if you have one business, there is no reason why you can't have two, or ten.

And; there is the benefit of controlling your taxes, and thus improving your financial situation probably better than you could as a standard wage earner.

As a wage earner, your income is limited by others, and your taxes are too.

I'm not a tax avoider; but I will utilise every Government implemented tax loophole to pay as little as I can.

It's certainly not for everyone, but for me - having been a wage earner and a business owner, it's preferable to be a business owner.

Back to my mate; I would like to see him take a plunge and buy an existing profitable business.

Now, this is a far safer route than trying to start up your own from scratch.

Yes; starting your own business may be more profitable down the track, but buying one gives you the instant income and some degree of security.

All the good stuff is outside of your comfort zone. 95% of the population remain within the confines of their comfort zone and just look how that works out for them.

Every great thing that has happened to me has been the result of overcoming fear and taking a leap of faith. I don't want to be living my final moments wishing I had taken more leaps of faith. I'd rather reflect on all the opportunities I actually embraced with both hands.

Me too. It's also surprising how rare a real screw-ups occur when you do take that leap.

I always thought I'd have babies by the time I was 25. I even wrote it down at highschool. Well, I was 27 in the end when I first got pregnant. Careers? Yeah I had a couple, but they were never going to be what I'm about. I'll leave that to my partner, whose life is very much about his career.

I don't know if you can control your fate but you can certainly steer it.

Biggles, it's more money but the whole cadet thing is rocking the aviation world at the moment. Maybe your chance to get in without the crappy GA life?

As a holder of a Commercial Pilot License and Command Instrument Rating I don't see myself as a failure. I just haven't put them to use yet, because to do so means starting at the bottom of the aviation ladder, and it's a pretty nasty area to start in, which is why I'm 'scared' to make that leap out of my current 'safe' employment.

Anything worth achieving is never easy. Just stop making excuses and go and do it.

+1 Biggles.

Take it from someone who took the leap and spent the money same as you for a CPL, Command Instrument and Instructors ratings. It didn't work out but I don't regret it for a minute.
You'll certainly regret it if you don't.
Do it. :)

Back