Convenience Food - Lite and Easy

Brenda Irwin said:
The caculator says I should be 59kg. I was 59kgs once and I would consider it too light. 64kg would be a better weight for me I think. So to lose the 20kg I have extra now, maybe I should just look at food rather than eat any. Seefood diet.:)

Most people believe it isn't right to be the same weight at 50 as at 20. This is fallacious.

At the age of 50, you have much less muscle mass than at 20. Therefore, even if you are the same weight at 50 as 20, you are still carrying a higher no. of fat kg's at 50.

The latest science continues to find that people with body fat at the lower end of normal have less morbidity and longer lives.

This is reinforced by the country with the highest rate of centenarians, Okinawa. They generally weigh within 5 kgs at 50 as at 20 and have lower normal bodyfat.

We have to be honest with ourselves that we live in a culture that reinforces that it is ok to be carrying extra bodyfat, and not to be that active. This just flies in the face of the scientific evidence, and it takes a strong and frank frame of mind and determination to break out of the cultural conditioning that pervades western society and even much of the health industry.

Apart from that, the calculator is just that, and will be reasonably accurate for 95% of the population. People with very large or light skeletal frames will be under or over predicted.

barracuda2 said:
How about CSIRO Wellbeing diet - all the recipes, meal plans, and most importantly, weekly shopping lists. Combine that with Coles online, or greengrocer or similar. Best of both worlds? Fresh food delivered, variety, balanced diet (OK, depending on your point of view) & fun to cook.

One of the criticisms that the science community made of the CSIRO diet was the high level of dairy and animal protein, and the total exclusion of non animal protein.

Considering the growing number of Asians within Australia, and their high level of lactose intolerance, in addition to the evidence that calcium and magnesium are in sufficient quantities within vegan sources, and too much protein accelerates osteporosis, the CSIRO diet's impartiality is all the more questionable.

http://www.vnv.org.au/Articles/CSIRODiet.htm

muppie said:
This is exactly what lite n easy is. They give you fresh fruit and other things that go in the fridge, and the dinner is just normally cooked meal that's sealed and frozen.

My only problem with it is that the dinner is so small I can probably eat two at a time. Same for lunch.... I guess it is diet food :( They need to make 2400cal one for convenience version.

muppie, you should talk with them over the phone about this. They promote themselves as doing convenience meals in addition to servicing the wt loss market. But if their largest meal size is 1800 Cals, they cannot possibly market that as convenience because it just isn't enough Calories.

I think their ploy is that if you need ~2400 Cals, then you should buy 2 x 1200 Calorie plans. However, as each of these would be individually packaged, there is a high level of inconvenience in their service...

I went on Lite n Easy for 6 weeks and lost 6 kilos. Being on it for that long gave me the good eating habits (most importantly the concept of a 'regular portion size') that I kept to continue to lose weight and keep it off. I also started to exercise.

It wasn't all super fresh, but it was a lot better than what I was eating. All dinners were frozen but there was a wide variety of fresh fruit.

It's not cheap compared to a buying yourself and cooking but I was living by myself at the time and it worked out OK compared to me eating Thai take aways and sandwhiches from the cafes near work for lunch.

As far as dieting goes it's about as easy as it can get - although you still need to add the willpower.

thefirstbruce said:
Significant time and energy gains can be made by avoiding supermarkets, where waiting at checkouts is the bane of my life.

Likewise, I'm not sure whether online shopping is available in your area, but that's what I use an it's great. My list is basically the same every week and just add/remove things as needed from week to week. They have always been on time and service is top notch.

However, I still buy fresh red meat, fish and fruit from my local shopping centre. Coles meat isn't too crash hot.

I knew someone who used Lite and Easy and lost a heap of weight and enjoyed the food alot. He ended up going off it after 2 years and put all the weight back on though.

FrankGrimes said:
I knew someone who used Lite and Easy and lost a heap of weight and enjoyed the food alot. He ended up going off it after 2 years and put all the weight back on though.

I agree Frank. Going onto Lite n Easy might be ok to get you through a busy patch with work, but it is just delaying the inevitable. And that is if you can't afford a knowledgeable stay at home partner, then you are just going to have to treat cooking and Calorie portion awareness like another project or body of knowledge that just has to be understood and learnt. Like everything else in life, something that isn't known seems hard, until one becomes familiar with it.

Andrew_A said:
I thought I would protect Mups identity in case he wanted to remain anon :)

One thing I have found out about Australia is that it's MUCH easier for me to eat badly here compared to Europe, everywhere there are bad options to mislead you.

Get educated about food and nutrition and you won't ever be mislead.

Andrew_A said:
Interested in the diet feedback I can get on this thread. I'm more interested in the convencience angle, the healthy possibility is just a fringe benefit potentially. Is 1800 Cal enough per day though?

Per day for what? Depends what your trying to acheive. Are you wanting to lose weight, lose fat, gain weight, maintain weight?

Whatever your goals, you need to put it in perspective of your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)...

go here, this should answer your question

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

George

Back