Conversion to Duplex and DA Approvals

I currently have an old small house on a piece of land around 520 square metres and flattish in Sydney's north shore. I seek to knock it down, subdivide the land and build a duplex. It meets the requirements (as per the local environment plan) and there are no easements etc on my property. What are issues with the DA approval that i need to consider? Would an experienced builder have work arounds to get DA approval to build?

Also curious to see whether 700,000 to build the duplex would be conservative for duplex of reasonable/good standard (including knocking down) removals and other misc costs/surprises.

I currently have an old small house on a piece of land around 520 square metres and flattish in Sydney's north shore. I seek to knock it down, subdivide the land and build a duplex. It meets the requirements (as per the local environment plan) and there are no easements etc on my property. What are issues with the DA approval that i need to consider? Would an experienced builder have work arounds to get DA approval to build?

Also curious to see whether 700,000 to build the duplex would be conservative for duplex of reasonable/good standard (including knocking down) removals and other misc costs/surprises.

You cannot beat the professional advice of a town planner/architect. I am just assuming here that you looked up council plans/zoning for your lot no. Of course!

Easements are just a part of what can affect your zoning.
Here in Brissy we have neighbourhood codes/overlays and so on that affect the zoning and are on top of the zoning which can override what is showing on the council plan. Sometimes in your favour, sometimes not. I do not know other state rules but I am guessing they would be somewhat similar.

You say flattish, does it slope at all and if so is it to the front or the back as this can also affect both planning and building, and of course costs.

A demo can cost approx 20k for a full professional but I believe there are cost cutting measures depending on the type of house and wether or not asbestos has to be considered.

You can get est costs of turn key finish per sqm which can include driveways, boundaries, landscaping etc and can go very roughly from 1800k upwards depending on the end finish.

Holding costs, demo app. Subdivision, Building apps, architect,surveyor, soil tests and so on. If this is a first project, (as mine is!) and you have no prior experience, professional opinions are invaluable. It will take all of your own particular scenario into account whereas someone on here may not have the full picture which can make it harder to get the right advice specifically for you . Sounds like a great project!

Back