Converting equity into cashflow to retire

Hello Everyone,

I’m interested to hear the strategy you would use if you had net equity of over $600,000 and could happily retire on $50,000 pa. How would you turn this equity into cash-flow to replace your income?

Using the following scenario as an example:
10 properties – average value $220,000. Total property portfolio: $2,200,000.
Borrowings of $1,540,000: 70% LVR.
Available equity: $660,000.

To start with I can think of 3 possible options:

1. Buy an income stream (Cashbond)

Increase borrowings to 80% LVR to access $220,000.
Use this $220,000 to buy a three year Cashbond.
This will provide an income of $73,000 pa (capital return tax free) for three years, plus a taxable interest portion of say $1,400 after tax.
The total tax free income will be $74,400.
Subtract the costs of using the $220,000 (at 7%) = $15,400.
Leaves an after tax income of $59,000 - which is equivalent to a $100K+ taxable income.

The downside of using a Cashbond is you would be continually revaluing and increasing the debt every three years. The advantage is the interest would be tax deductible since it was used to buy an income stream , and the Cashbond would help
with serviceability.

2. Tax-free trust distribution

Providing the properties are all held in a family trust, the trustee can increase the borrowings to 80% LVR against the increased value of the property to access the $220,000. The trust can then distribute this unrealised capital gain to you (minus the $15,400 pa interest cost), giving you a tax free income of $57,900pa over three years.

This is similar to the Cashbond strategy except it doesn’t provide an income stream that helps with serviceability and doesn’t include the small interest portion of the Cashbond. The loan taken out by the trust should still be tax deductible.

3. Liquidate half the property portfolio

Sell 5 properties for $1,100,000 and pay out the loans of $770,000. Use the profit of $330,000 to reduce borrowings on the remaining 5 properties to $440,000.

Remaining property portfolio would be as follows –
5 properties – average value $220,000. Total: $1,100,000
Borrowings of $440,000: interest at 7% = $30,800 pa.
Rental return at 5% = $55,000 pa.

This would only leave $24,200 pa to live off - but it would actually be much less as this figure is before tax. Also, other property expenses and the Capital Gains Tax on profits have not been taken into account. Therefore this option would only work for someone who is prepared to wait a few more years for the increased equity through capital growth before they retire.

Feel free to pick at my figures – I’ve just made them up as an example – it is the strategies I’m interested in. Look forward to anyone’s thoughts on this subject.

Hello, Jackass. This is one helluva post for a first-time poster. Perhaps, "Welcome to the forum" is not appropriate because it seems like you have spent a lot of time reading a fair bit of the forum already. Have you been lurking for awhile or posting under a different username?

Regards, Mike

G'day Jackass,

And welcome aboard. Not sure that I will provide too many answers, but here's a few thoughts......

First off, it sounds just a bit lean to me. Assuming an average 10%CG, this could work, but doesn't seem to have much in reserve. Also, what if the market where your IP's are has peaked, and you get minimal growth over the next three years? You wouldn't want to go to 90% next time, would you?

Perhaps hold off until you have $1m in equity, then go with the figures quoted (keeps extra equity "in reserve" after paying your "wage").

Another alternative might be to sell you PPOR rather than an IP (CG Tax exempt) then move into one of your IP's - thus making it your PPOR - and a future "seller".

Or, "semi-retire" to a part-time job, and draw (say) $120k over 3 years (again, leaving a "cushion" of equity in case of low growth over the next 3 years). That semi-retirement could be into an active IP investment role (managing, repairing, purchasing, flipping, etc), or a standard pert-time job.....

I'm making some assumptions here, as I don't know your circumstances - but hope it provides some more ideas to chew on.

Regards,

Based on the scenarios shown, I would wait till net worth is higher before thinking on retirement. Providing that the properties are located in good areas (at least 5% pa growth), I would go for strategy number 1 though, cash bond have to be for 5 years. This time frame should "guarantee" your property growth but, as I said your net worth have to be much higher for it to be safe. It'd be a matter of waiting another couple of years.

I believe that control is more important than ownership. You mentioned selling part of the portfolio to retire debt. I think this is part of the old way of doing things. It's kind of we have to fully own the thing to feel some security and as you noticed, you'd make yourself poorer by retiring debt in that way. At the end of the day, it isn't how much you fully own and what is your net worth what matters.

Just imaging if you leave that portfolio untouch (paying only IO) for 20 years... Bank's participation in your portfolio would be diminished to the point that it isn't relevant any more. Bank's business is to lend money. That's the only way they can do money. So, let's help them to help us.

Regards,
James.

G'day Jackass,

A big $$$$ cost you missed in option 3 is the agents commission on sale of 5 properties.

Using just a 2% commission rate would cost you $22,000.00 on $1,100,000.00 of property. Then of course there are legal costs and advertising and all those other little fees and charges that noone remebers to mention. How else do all these RE agents get around in the latest and greatest model Range Rover/Mercedes Benz SLK500.....(insert any car of choice $120K+)....;)

This will effect the end figure a fair amount.

cheers
watto

Originally posted by Mike
Hello, Jackass. This is one helluva post for a first-time poster. Perhaps, "Welcome to the forum" is not appropriate because it seems like you have spent a lot of time reading a fair bit of the forum already. Have you been lurking for awhile or posting under a different username?

Regards, Mike

Mike,

With all respect, why do you think that Jackass' property knowledge was gleaned from this forum? There are plenty of investors with an incredible knowledge of investing (property or otherwise) that have never heard of the Somers forum.

I was surprised by a neighbor the other day who told me they owned 4 investment properties with a value of $1.25 million geared at about 40%, thats amazing!! I thought i knew them and we have never spoken property before, theyre not really into it, they "just own property" they also hardly know what the internet is, not to mention forums...

I DO think this is the best resource for property investment knowledge in Australia but also acknowledge that its not the only one.

Back to the question, i would go for option 1. I dont fully understand cashbonds but it seems the best of the three. With changes as previously posted to make it 5 years and wait till you have more equity or reduce your "annual" income.

I would take it a little slower on the properties. Perhaps buy 2 properties @ 220k with 80% LVR leaving 572k. With the 572K I would invest in Steve’s fund. Ok we are a property forum, but shares can play a part in wealth creation too.
Now if we look at the stockmarket averaging say 9%/ year and NavraInvest beating that by 10% (which I believe is conservative having seen Steve’s system at his seminar). Then the 572k (x19%)would return $108,680 minus the fund fees of roughly one third of the 10% would leave approximately 90k/ year. Then use part of that 90k to fuel growth in your property portfolio.
Of course the number of properties you start of with could change, but you would have a balance of property and shares to fund retirement and more importantly do it comfortably with the ability for growth and safety.
Oh, I would chat with Dale about using a Trust to help also.
Just what I would consider if I was fortunate enough to be in such a position.

From my understanding the reason a cashbond income stream is taken out for 5 years is so that there is a longer period of capital growth. If it was taken for 3 years and they happened to be a very ordinary 3 years from a capital growth perspective then borrowing back upto 80% would be difficult.

Jackass,

I don't see why you need to sell anything. Call Steve Navra & co and ask him for his advice (http://www.navra.com.au/). He's the Cashbond King :)

Bear's point on cashbond durations is correct. The aim is to provide enough time for your cap growth to more than equal the cashbond amount. Three years is on the shorter side, but it depends on where your properties are located.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Thanks guys for your replies. Some good further ideas to consider in a few years time when I am hopefully in a similar position to that used in the example.

I agree with Les, James and Brains about holding off for a higher net worth before attempting to retire on this amount of equity. My goal is to leave the workforce as soon as possible so waiting those extra few years is what I was trying to avoid!

However as Les mentioned it would be wise to have more equity in reserve to cover any periods of low growth. I am not very keen on the idea of continually increasing debt and using equity up as fast as I can grow it.

Someone (not from the forum) also suggested when I reach the point where I would like to retire I could use the built up equity to begin acquiring positive cash-flow properties to increase income. A good time to change my negative gearing/capital growth strategy to focus on yield???

James, Bear924, Aceyducey - thanks for the suggestion of a 5 year cashbond. I will speak to Steve Navra about this in more detail later.

Watto, I missed those extra costs for the agents commission. Thanks for pointing that out as it sure would make a big difference on the final figure.

Gameboy, I do not know about Steve's fund and have not yet attended his seminar. Maybe something to look into when I get round to doing the course. Thanks.

Mike and Brains- I have previously made a few posts under a friends username who introduced me to the forum and have been 'lurking' here for a few months now. This forum is a fantastic source of information and I am continually learning things from the great people here willling to share their knowledge. Prior to the forum I read a few books but learnt mostly from attending a HK course (which I found expensive but in my opinion very beneficial).

Great response guys!

THE JACKASS

Back