Converting storage areas with ceiling hgt less than 2.4m into bedrooms

Hi all

we use an "Alternative Solution" process defined under the current Building Code of Australia - to be able to model and demonstrate that rooms with less than 2.4m ceiling height can be approved as bedrooms/habitable use - often without any need to physically alter the building (no raising, no excavating down etc).

Our clientelle base benefiting the most from this service are investors buying older 2 storey homes with lower level ceilings around 2-2.4m. Good option to convert these lower levels into additional bedrooms and selling a 2-3 bedder off as a 5 or 6 bedder with very little cost outlays. The increase to the market value of the house with the extra bedrooms is usually quite high.

I'd like to hear more about your solution. There are so many houses that miss out on being legal height by just a couple of centimetres and it makes a huge difference when renting or selling them.

It sounds too good to be true...

Hi all

we use an "Alternative Solution" process defined under the current Building Code of Australia - to be able to model and demonstrate that rooms with less than 2.4m ceiling height can be approved as bedrooms/habitable use - often without any need to physically alter the building (no raising, no excavating down etc).

Our clientelle base benefiting the most from this service are investors buying older 2 storey homes with lower level ceilings around 2-2.4m. Good option to convert these lower levels into additional bedrooms and selling a 2-3 bedder off as a 5 or 6 bedder with very little cost outlays. The increase to the market value of the house with the extra bedrooms is usually quite high.

Hi Please PM your business details.

However I have heard of these services before. One house has extremely low ceilings and was still approved because they proved that only midgets would be living there and other rooms with 2.3m. got approval as well due to other reasons even though people after them could be moving in and are not short people. (I heard for places in QLD i think brisbane but not other regions/states).

Back