Convert Highset House to Two Stories ??

Hi All

I'm considering adding value to an IP in the Moreton Bay LGA which is a newly renovated highset 3+1 house by converting the ground level to additional bedrooms and another bathroom to make it a two-storey 4+2 home. However, I'm not from the area so I'm not familiar with the local planning laws. Is there anything to prevent me doing this (other than the usual building code regs regarding construction, head clearances, etc) ??

Here is a pic of the ground level:

image5.jpg

Thanks
Becaben

You will need to comply with the BCA for the rooms ie: adequate ceiling heights (2400mm for habitable rooms), fresh air/ventilation, windows/natural light, access, vapour barrier under the slab etc.

This isn't an extensive list but should point you in the right direction.

As you'll be building walls you need development approval (possibly only a building certifier).

Thanks SCM. Sounds promising.

There is already a new-ish concrete floor in place so would it just need an approriate moisture/pest barrier between this slab and any flooring I install

Thanks SCM. Sounds promising.

There is already a new-ish concrete floor in place so would it just need an approriate moisture/pest barrier between this slab and any flooring I install

That may or may not be the case. I know one issue with our son's house was that the existing slab had to be proven to be able to have living rooms built on it as opposed to just an "under the house car parking" type of slab. They couldn't do this because they had nothing to show the depth of the slab etc. If your house is a new build you could be lucky. Also, I am just repeating what my son told me, so happy to be wrong.

Send RPI from the forum a message. He is a town planner and would probably be able to guide you.

Back