Copper vs UPVC spitter tubes

Hi,
Few questions please:
Is copper better than UPVC for balcony spitter tubes?
I thought copper would be more durable.
Will the copper pipes get stolen? Our garden hose taps were stolen because they were copper. Not sure if someone will hack the pipes off my balcony? It's low enough for a thief to reach.
The plumber will have to drill the balcony and cement the pipes. Will plaster/cement (or whatever adhesive they use) adhere to the existing waterproof concrete that the balcony is made of?
Another plumber we got a quote from said the spitter tubes may cause the water to flow to the garage (directly below the apartments) - is this something to worry about? Currently my balcony is flooding and of course I need to get this rectified but I am also wary of causing more problems afterwards.
Thank you.

Assuming that you are asking on behalf of the body corporate, pvc is a suitable material but ensure that the spitter protrudes 150mm from the face of the balcony. There must be fall on the balcony so water runs towards the spitter.

They should be angled slightly downwards to prevent blow back. Silicone should be ok to hold the spitter.

Where's the water from the balcony going at the moment? Do the garages get wet now? Why will this change if you direct the water from the balcony?

There must be fall on the balcony so water runs towards the spitter.

Where's the water from the balcony going at the moment? Do the garages get wet now? Why will this change if you direct the water from the balcony?

Hi Scott,
Thanks for replying.
Can you explain the 'fall on the balcony' part please? I don't understand.
The spitter tubes are estimated to be 30cm at this stage.
The balcony has a lip running all around the edge. This prevents water from overflowing (unless the water builds up and overruns the lip). Fortunately or unfortunately, this is not happening. The balcony has drainpipes, which are too small for the flow of water.
The balcony has 2 entrances, which are sealed by the standard sliding doors - 1 entrance to a bedroom, 1 entrance to the living room.
What is happening instead is the water is building up on the balcony, then starts to overflow past the sliding doors, into the living room (floating floorboards) and bedroom (carpet).

thanks.

It corrodes/discolours on the outside but the rest will last 50+ years. If you look around a lot of old churches have copper steeple roofs, spouting and downpipes. It is very expensive these days but lasts longer than any other material.

It corrodes/discolours on the outside but the rest will last 50+ years. If you look around a lot of old churches have copper steeple roofs, spouting and downpipes. It is very expensive these days but lasts longer than any other material.

UPVC doesn't break down & is UV stablilised. It will last forever and a day. Copper is not the best solution as it is also quite soft and can be damaged/bent easily.

Hi Scott,
Thanks for replying.
Can you explain the 'fall on the balcony' part please? I don't understand.
The spitter tubes are estimated to be 30cm at this stage.
The balcony has a lip running all around the edge. This prevents water from overflowing (unless the water builds up and overruns the lip). Fortunately or unfortunately, this is not happening. The balcony has drainpipes, which are too small for the flow of water.
The balcony has 2 entrances, which are sealed by the standard sliding doors - 1 entrance to a bedroom, 1 entrance to the living room.
What is happening instead is the water is building up on the balcony, then starts to overflow past the sliding doors, into the living room (floating floorboards) and bedroom (carpet).

thanks.

The spitters should stick out of the building by 4-5" and sloping away.

Drain holes should be at least 35 mm dia but preferably 50 mm dia so they won't block.

'fall of the balcony' relates to which way does the floor slope?

Thanks everyone.
I haven't measured the drainpipe but they were estimated by the plumber to be 3 times too small.
I can't do anything about them as they are embedded in the concrete. I can't possibly change them without ripping up way too much balcony.
I don't know too much about the fall of the balcony. But I think the balcony was shaped to slope gently inwards towards the drainpipes (one on each end of my balcony - it's a big balcony - maybe 20sqm?). That's the way most floors are built around drainpipes.

Back