Corner block more expensive or cheap?

Hi, just wondering if a corner block should cost me more or less? i have mix answer to that question from people around me. And wats the pros and cons of it? Thanks

I don't know about being more expensive or not - but to me, if it were a PPOR, then i would steer clear of a corner block. This is because:

- you loose too much yard space
- depending on the landscaping, pedestrians may cut through your block
- security on a corner block isn't as good.

However, if i were buying the block as a developer with the view of sub-dividing it, then a corner block is the way to go.

Hope this helps

g

Hi, just wondering if a corner block should cost me more or less? i have mix answer to that question from people around me. And wats the pros and cons of it? Thanks

In terms of price - probably no difference.

For an OO - less yard space, more fencing (without shared costs as council who owns the footpath does not contribute), less privacy, more mowing.

But gg1965 is correct in saying:
"as a developer with the view of sub-dividing it, then a corner block is the way to go".
So potentially, in a market in which developments were "hot", then you might get a higher price for a corner block because of the increased competition.

Having a house with *two* corners and thus a solid 140m of fencing that I can't share the cost of with anyone, I have to agree on the fencing problem. And yes, people did cut through the block until one of the other neighbours (they cut through her block too) put up a stonking great fence at her own expense.

I'm of the same opinion that has been mentioned here but I'll also add.... In new subdivisions the cost of the corner block is generally the same but the block is slightly larger to compensate for the side setbacks. You also want to find out what council requires as far as 'addressing the secondary facade'.

The normal project homes you see don't look good from the side so council require you to make it look good. This usually costs more. Things like gables/balconies/columns/windows anything that breaks up an expanse of brick wall. Could costs anywhere from $5k-$50k depending on what council require. This is not normally a problem with a single level home

Our duplexes were on a corner in a new subdivision. There was a one and a half metre rise to the level of the corner house from the road. We could have sloped the grass I suppose, but ended up putting in retaining walls with attractive fences on top in order to improve the street appeal. No doubt it cost us a lot more in landscaping/ fencing.

I've noticed here in SA a slight increase in price for corner blocks but more to the point i've found they seem to be advertised more toward developers. Corner blocks work well for developers but as GG1965 points out, i'd personally not have one as a PPOR.

Another point apart from those already noted is "hoons" doing burnouts/donuts on the street corner (evidence will be apparent if you're viewing the property) or worse, having them coming through your fence/house if they lose control. I've seen it a number of times where a car has ended up in the front yard or worse.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths

Disadvantages? As said, more fencing costs and more footpath to mow.

Advantages? Better access to backyard?

Hidden perks?

Do as one neighbour did.
Hide rubbish bin.
Phone council and claim it stolen. Council provides nice new bin.
On bin day, put one bin at furthest distance from corner on property alignment. Put other bin down side street away from corner. Presto!! TWO rubbish collections for the price of one.

Need another address? No problem, put one letterbox on each street frontage. Number in sequence with street. Different street names so two different addresses. Great for free samples. Yes, I have seen this done also - if the postie noticed then he/she didn't care.

So long as it is fenced, for me a corner block would not affect the property's value much.
Marg

a corner block would not affect the property's value much.

We very much like corner blocks.....to the point that if the property isn't a corner block we won't look at it.

For purposes, corner blocks mean that trucks can drive onsite, do their thing, and then drive offsite without having to reverse. This is a major advantage.

That is to say that a two street frontage is better than one street frontage. However, three street frontages are better still, and an island parcel of land, with four street frontages is the best. We've only had the opportunity of looking at two such island sites, both of which were keenly snapped up by other quicker and more cashed up buyers for an enormous premium to the going land value at the time.

We have a corner block for our PPOR. there is basically a 1.8m strip down the side which we are unable to use except for garden (gotta love ACT regulations). We are not allowed to extend our fenceline to the boundary, or do anything practical with it. Essentially we are left with the use of a 450m2 block, rather then the 512m2 block it is in reality.

If I was over the border in NSW I wouldn't care that much, I would simply extend my fenceline all the way to the boundary and my kids would have more yard to play in.

as a PPOR then its a personal preference. as an IP i would go corner for the same price everytime - just more options.

Yes Marg, it is understood by all that what you wrote was your opinion. I don't think anyone is arguing that what you wrote was your opinion.

Almost everything that is written on this forum are people's opinion, which can be prefaced with the words "for me". It makes not a jot of difference to any else's opinion, and hence most people leave it off.

There are very very few hard and fast facts on this forum to be garnered, the vast majority is all "for me", or IMO, or as they personally see things via their beliefs and experiences and attitudes.

Maybe......

Its only worth more if you can potentially subdivide and build. And much will depend on the set back required from both street frontages. Which will in turn depend on the setback of the properties on either side of yours.

corner block

I just bought a corner block with a house on it as a PPOR.

No problems with lack of a backyard, plenty of privacy and space, fencing is not an issue, people cutting across not likely an issue, quiet street, and plenty of future development potential as zoned for mixed use.

So for me it has absolutely no disadvantages and plenty of advantages. I guess every corner is different and would need to be assessed individually. Thats just my two cents.

you will often find that a council will allow an increased density (for subdivision/build) on a corner block.

ie, in newcastle, a standard residential block on a corner is allowed to be 30% smaller than the minimum standard block size that is not a corner. it's an access thing and is an advantage when looking for something that can be subdivided for dual occupancy.

after lots of experience i tend to only look at corner blocks, or blocks with wide rear lane access (wide enough for two cars to pass).

We are very keen on purchasing corner blocks which can be developed unfortunately so is everyone. We will pay a premium for corner sites. It comes down to zoning and what the Council will allow, there may be potential to add value.

For an IP on a corner you can stick a 'for lease' sign on both fronts, maybe double your chances in the market?

Not that I'd know, now that I think about it I've never lived on a corner block.

if you have a corner block and one street benefits from a reduced set back and then the property is survey strata'd and then you want to redevelop the house on the survey strata block will the reduced set back apply or will it then become the primary set back for that house?

Back