Cost of putting in a retaining wall

Currently my a granny flat on my property and because it wasnt 100% level, the builder has cut a bit a front and filled it at the back.

This now results in a step down in the front from street level of say 30cm in total, but over two steps (ie 15cm per step).

The back is also sloping so ill need a retaining wall as well.

The price they have come back to me with is $2770 + GST for

1) Log retaining walls at the rear of property with log posts cemented in
2) Sleeper retaining walls at the front creating 2 steps down
3) Filling the middle layer with soil
4) Filling the Lower Layer with Gravel as per picture

Is this price reasonable?

Attachments

• Retaining wall.jpg
    Retaining wall.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Gravel.jpg
    Gravel.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 72
shop it around, thats ridiculous..

you can buy treated sleepers 2400 for under 20 bucks each so grab some more serious quotes and also ask for addresses of jobs completed in your area...

you can do way better than that price i guarantee....even hit an apprentice up to do the job on a weekend (cashie)

How long does the wall have to be? 15 cm doesnt seem very high you will only need one sleeper in height? Not sure on the price but make sure you get three quotes then decide.

Depends how wide your plot and excavation works are.

Hopefully, in his price he would include all drainage required for front area. You don't want 300mm of water to pond against your front door.Sumps, agg pipes and stormwater pipes should be used to transfer overland flow towards back of property. (if the section you show is accross entire width of plot). Geo should be used on the back against the inside of the logs to prevent any material from shooting through timber (to retain fill). Strip filters and blue metal / drainage gravel can also be used at back of sleepers to discharge water seepage. Depends how high the retaining wall is out back.

Seems a bit steep though. Can't see it costing that much.

F

It should probably say that it will go along the entire front and back, therefore it will be at least 10m long for the front, and 10m for the back.

Almost all retainng walls eventually start to topple over, suppose 15 cm one might be an exception.

But why not slope as better option?

Water goes away,
no additional edges to trim if grass planted,
no problems with wall moving.

Back