Cost of tradies/repairs in Darwin

Just received a quote to fix an element on an electric stove that keeps switching on and off. Does this look reasonable?

Parts required to be replaced is Small element , Infinite Switch , Spilllage Tray, Control Knob

Total Cost for Parts $248.50 +gst

Callout and Labour $230.00 +gst

Total Repair inc gst $526.35

I can buy a new electric upright stove in Sydney for about $545. Darwin is a tradie slug-fest.

why would you think it is reasonable if it is the same price to throw it out and get a spanker? I rarely bother even quoting electric repairs on things like washing machiens and ovens these days. did they charge you a call out to come and do that quote?

Most element repairs that I organise (and that's a lot) are between $200 and $300.

Unless it's an unusual brand or a commercial grade or something - that seems very high.

Is it a freestanding electric cooker? You can usually get a total new one installed for circa $750.

I buy my stove elements from a wholesaler in Granville NSW. I pay about $80 for elements and $50 for switches. I do all labour myself. Too easy. 20 minutes work.

Your labour costs seem high but material costs seem about right.

If you're local check out the classifieds in Sat's paper, work wanted. I had some plaster work needed. Quote through RE manager was $2,600 I got 2 guys from the paper first one was $600 and second one was $200.

Also Gumtree ads.

Back