Cost to 'bag' a house

Hi,

I'm looking at cememt bagging(not rendering) a double storey home i'm in the process of buying, and I wanted to get an indication of what others have been charged to bag a house. There's plenty of info on cement rendering, however bagging info seems more scarce.

I know materials are cheap, and I don't want to do a DIY. Just wondering if anyone has a rough sqm rate I should be looking for for bag only(I will paint).

Appreciate any info you could provide.

Ive no idea, but Im interested as to why you dont want to do the bagging, but you do want to do the painting?

otherwise, I would have suggested getting a quote from a painter, or perhaps a plasterer...

Ive no idea, but Im interested as to why you dont want to do the bagging, but you do want to do the painting?

otherwise, I would have suggested getting a quote from a painter, or perhaps a plasterer...

Simple answer to that is painting is relatively easy, and bagging has a particular technique/s that I don't want to stuff up in a nice new house.

I've started calling for quotes-it's the time of year they're all on holidays.

Put colour oxide in the cement then bag, all in one job, easy !;)

Bagging is merely cement render mix then slopped onto the walls and either brushed or rubbed with a bag or sponge or soft brush in a circular motion.

Basically bagging fills the perps (mortar joints) and then just fills any imperfections/roughages in the bricks.

If adding colour oxide just make sure you do a test somewhere inconspicious first and remember the recipe of ingredients making sure to use exactly the same amounts for each mix or the colour will be uneven, however, that can also not look too bad depending upon colour selected and variation of mixed ingredients.

Done "nicely" bagging can be a good look and far easier to do than rendering.
I would leave rendering to the experts but bagging is a DIY job.

Done "nicely" bagging can be a good look and far easier to do than rendering.
I would leave rendering to the experts but bagging is a DIY job.
Thanks for the advice. I think the telling thing is done 'nicely'. I've actually bagged my previous house myself and I did an 'okay' job-not as nice as the display village bagging though.

Since this house is a relatively high end house, I'd prefer to pay someone to do it. Just need to get an idea if $10 a sqm or 15 or 20 etcetc is reasonable?

Simple answer to that is painting is relatively easy, and bagging has a particular technique/s that I don't want to stuff up in a nice new house.

I've started calling for quotes-it's the time of year they're all on holidays.

I disagree, Id say amatuer painting over a 'professional' bagging is going to look just as good as amatuer bagging and amatuer painting....

See what sort of quotes you get, but if it were me, Id either bag it myself, or look into just getting it spray rendered (with a paint tint). I reckon the cost of proefessional bagging and then painting is going to be similar to spray rendering.

IMO you should only bag or render a house to improve it value or for personal enjoyment.

No every one likes paint or bag. We have IP that is painted brick. I love it but it sold for less because painting needs maintenance.

Why not test a wall first and yes, put oxide in the mix to save painting, ever. However it will weather in a limed way. On the right house looks great. On the wrong house looks crap.

FYI Peter

I disagree, Id say amatuer painting over a 'professional' bagging is going to look just as good as amatuer bagging and amatuer painting....

See what sort of quotes you get, but if it were me, Id either bag it myself, or look into just getting it spray rendered (with a paint tint). I reckon the cost of proefessional bagging and then painting is going to be similar to spray rendering.

thanks tobe.

I'm not sure. I've seen some dog's breakfast bag jobs out there. However I suspect it's often more to do with the prep work(either rough bricks or not flushing the joints correctly) than bagging itself. For the sake of a few grand, I really don't think it's worth the risk of stuffing it up. Hence why I wanted to quickly know the rough going rate.

IMO you should only bag or render a house to improve it value or for personal enjoyment.

No every one likes paint or bag. We have IP that is painted brick. I love it but it sold for less because painting needs maintenance.

Why not test a wall first and yes, put oxide in the mix to save painting, ever. However it will weather in a limed way. On the right house looks great. On the wrong house looks crap.

FYI Peter

This house definitely lends itself to a big value add with bag and paint. I will look into the oxide option-however I have seen the look of a oxide bag job that has faded and it's not a great sight on a modern home.

Hi,

I'm looking at cememt bagging(not rendering) a double storey home i'm in the process of buying, and I wanted to get an indication of what others have been charged to bag a house. There's plenty of info on cement rendering, however bagging info seems more scarce.

I know materials are cheap, and I don't want to do a DIY. Just wondering if anyone has a rough sqm rate I should be looking for for bag only(I will paint).
The base cash rate is around 25 bucks,,but as this is a 2 level then you would also have to add on the hire onsite set-up-costs for scaffolding,so it might work out a lot more then 25,why are you bagging the external,is it firbo-brick?..

The base cash rate is around 25 bucks,,but as this is a 2 level then you would also have to add on the hire onsite set-up-costs for scaffolding,so it might work out a lot more then 25,why are you bagging the external,is it firbo-brick?..
Thanks willair. It's red brick.

I've been hearing around this price from a couple of the trades, which surprises me. 25 bucks is getting up there. This would be about 7500 to do a double story. I wouldn't have thought it would take more than a week to bag a house with 1 person. And it would only be a few hundred in materials.

Maybe I am going to have to do DIY.

Back