Council approval needed

Hi All,

I have been reading the forums for the last couple of days and have decided to sign up tonight. Great place for info. My partner and I are looking at putting a contract on a highset chamfer board house in Caboolture tomorrow. We inspected the property today and there was an add on veranda that may have been done by a handyman some time ago. Structuraly it looks solid but will no doubt need a council permit search.

We are going to add a clause in the contract to that effect.

My question is if the search comes back as no permit found for the work, where do we go from there.

I am guessing we have to get a council inspector around to identify problems and then have a builder quote for rectification and negotiate with the vendor on price if they are willing.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I would suggest using a private building certifier, rather than a council inspector. They do the same job but I've found using a small private certifier you can deal with teh same person each time you need to use them.
If you find out it hasn't been completed then you can try to get the seller to arrange that or if not you can wear it if the investment still stands up or walk away.
Darryl

Back