Council Complaint - Wants to inspect! Illegal Construction??

If your due diligence at purchase did not reveal that there were only 2 bedrooms approved and you purchased a 3 bedder, your fault for not getting the home warranty insurance etc from the vendor.

Just to clarify, How do you do due diligence on this? Was your suggestion to ask for a copy of their home insurance? Or is home warranty insurance different?

Tom84 Location: Sydney / Bangkok
Council Approved Partitions? Know a cheap provider?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know where I could get a low cost option for partition walls?

It would be for a Sydney CBD apartment, I think Council doesn't allow any wall that needs to be drilled into the ceiling but not 100% sure.

Was thinking those nice French Doors (Sliding doors) as a way around it. I've got loads of space in the unit and wanting to unofficially convert it into an extra bedroom as the open plan living faces the large 2nd balcony.

Any suggestions? Willing to try most things ie: Removable partitions/demountables or sliding doors whichever is the cheaper option and gives the best privacy/sound proofing.

I am a little confused with this post. Is this the same unit as we are discussing in this post or have you not listened the previous posts?

If a local council calls you to do an inspection on an apartment based on a complaint from a previous owner (Before you owned the property)

And the complaint was almost a year ago are they allowed to force an inspection of your property? Or is there any privacy laws that can prevent this from happening as it seems as an intrusion.

Also if work was done to the unit before you purchased it and you were unaware of it not been council approved are you liable in anyway?

What would the best course of action to reject a request for an inspection of your property based on an outdated complaint of a previous owner?

As per others, none....work with them for a resolution, you're fighting a losing battle otherwise

If you need time I would reply to the letter and what this does is put your reply in the system,they will reply back and so on and so on.

This was done in the case of someone I know who works for a council in Queensland who had an illegal building and it takes appox 6 months per reply,this is now 3 years later and still no inspection on their part.
He believes it is a loophole,don't know if it will work in your state but worth trying.

How long has the wall been up, and what about the rule of "if its been up for 7-8? years (with no permit) it becomes valid"??

This misses the point that even if the council is OK with the extra bedroom, the strata (and other bodies) might not be OK with it.

+1 for Ideo comments.

Councils are not the enemy and many of them are rather nice about you buying a place that had work done by someone else. They will try and work with you and you may be able to apply for compliance retrospectively.

Allow them in, see what they say, work with them and go forward from here.

It's my understanding that, in NSW, authorized Council Staff have wide powers of entry. At the end of the day, Council will inspect, go through their processes and the issue a Notice of intention to Issue an Order. They will seek to get the issue rectified but, if it is not, 28 days later, they will issue the actual Order

As Council wants to inspect, the process is already underway. It's unlikely that a private certifier can give you anything but advice. Good luck with it all.

Back