Council Selling Parkland to make way for house?

Would anyone know if a local council has sold Parkland to make way for housing.

The Park land is almost 1000m2 and only 7km from Melb CBD.

Just curious to know if any council has sold Park Land for housing....

Hi Windsor,

I can only speak from a WA perspective however I assume similar systems are in place in Vic. My understanding is…

Council’s sell parkland all the time, however the decision is not solely theirs.

In WA if a Council wishes to sell parkland they need to apply to the WA Planning Commission first to have zoning changed from recreation to residential. In assessing the application it is essential that the Council can demonstrate that the parkland is surplus to need. In WA there is a requirement for 10% of subdivision land to be provided as public open space. That is the Council needs to show that is they dispose of the parkland the wider neighborhood will still have 10% land available as public open space.

Not knowing the area but being only 7km from Melbourne I would doubt that the region has an abundance of public open space. As an aside there is also a require for the funds from the sale to be spent only on other open space in the region e.g. updating the remaining parks.

Happy to be corrected but this is my understanding.

Craig

Anyone else who knows of council selling land, also can you approach the council to ask them you are interested in purchasing some small parkland.

Anyone in Melb with any expercience who has dealt with this can PM...

Hi Windsor,

I work for a govt department that has substantial land holdings, and we have very strict rules regarding disposal of land where it usually put through a tender process. I don't know if this applies to councils, however I imagine they are governed by similar probity issues.

HTH
Jerky

Just going on my own experience with councils, NO.

Although thinking about it you might have a chance if you:

1) Gave all the proceeds of your proposed development to council
2) Took all the risk associated with the deal
3) Build a new bus shelter down the road
4) Pay for the upkeep of unrelated council land in another suburb
5) Pay for a new cemetery
6) Pay for a new library at the local school
7) Pay for a new pump house for the mains water supply to the city
8) Laid a new sewerage pipeline that will service half the state
9) Re-paint council chambers
10) Upgrade the road infrastructure, maybe another lane on the Free way
11) Put in a new runway at the airport
12) Expanded the port and help with the dredging underway at present

Don't waste your time, you will be jumping through hoops for ever.

Back