Couple Q repairs vs depreciation

Doing tax of course. However I have over 4k of repairs and maintenance so I am being very careful to allocate everything correctly.

Tenant trashed blinds from my reading a deduction for decline in value not repair since I replaced them?
Failed roller door motor - Just motor replaced so it could possibly be classed as a repair but might be safer to use decline in value given ~$800.
Repainting internal damaged and marked walls - maintenance.

Now what has got me curious is this:
If you own a rental property, you may be able to claim a deduction (usually at the rate of 2.5% per year in the 40 years following construction) for the construction cost of buildings.
Since I built this particular property 5 years ago I am wondering if there is a reason it was not included in the original schedule of depreciation by the accountant?

Doing tax of course. However I have over 4k of repairs and maintenance so I am being very careful to allocate everything correctly.

Tenant trashed blinds from my reading a deduction for decline in value not repair since I replaced them?
Failed roller door motor - Just motor replaced so it could possibly be classed as a repair but might be safer to use decline in value given ~$800.
Repainting internal damaged and marked walls - maintenance.

Now what has got me curious is this:
If you own a rental property, you may be able to claim a deduction (usually at the rate of 2.5% per year in the 40 years following construction) for the construction cost of buildings.
Since I built this particular property 5 years ago I am wondering if there is a reason it was not included in the original schedule of depreciation by the accountant?

Often because accountants are not quantity surveyors. They will fill out the (tax return) form with the numbers they are given. If you have your receipts, get the accountant to amend your previous years tax returns with the additional depreciation. You'd be mad not to, IMO. If you don't have your receipts, get a QS report. If your accountant can't work out the depreciation from your receipts, give the receipts to a QS and get a schedule.

Accountant had all the costs at the start. Construction, patio, carpets, aircon, blinds every other thing I brought to finish it off in one spreadsheet.

Back