Couple sells cat with their house

Article here.
THE Perceval family prize their pet cat, Tiffany.
But she?s not priceless. In fact, she?s worth her weight in Tiffany?s jewellery: $140,000, to be exact.

No kitten around.

The Percevals auctioned their five-bedroom Glen Iris home of 19 years on Saturday.

The property was passed in at $2,060,000.

And it was then, as real estate agent Glen Coutinho negotiated to try to close a deal, that a cat clause entered the sales contract.

Mr Coutinho, of RT Edgar, said that a child of one of the bidders had fallen in love with Tiffany during the inspections of the home.

?Tiffany decided she would sit on the couch,? Fran Perceval told the Herald Sun. ?People would come through, and she?d observe them and be patted. She loved all the attention ? she does look a bit ornamental,? she said.

Ms Perceval had even jokingly suggested to Mr Coutinho that Tiffany could be included in the sale, because after all ?she believes the house is her property?.

But then the bidder offered to buy the home for $2.2 million ? as long as Tiffany was included in the deal.

Ms Perceval said they agreed to terms ? but her son, Sam, 19, isn?t too pleased and they?re still negotiating with him.

the rest of the article is really the off-putting part...

Ms Perceval said they agreed to terms ? but her son, Sam, 19, isn?t too pleased and they?re still negotiating with him.

Sam bought Tiffany from a pet shop.

?She was at the pet shop, the last of the litter, and he felt sorry for her,? Ms Perceval said.

?We?re thinking we?ll put $20,000 in a pile next to the cat and say to Sam: you choose.?

She said Sam was planning to travel overseas next year and the extra money from the sale could help pay for his trip.

?And he can?t take a cat with him,? Ms Perceval said.

Given her $140,000 price tag, the new owners better hope Tiffany, 4, has nine lives.

Ms Perceval said that the family ? who also have two dogs, two rabbits and fish ? would be sad to say goodbye to Tiffany.

?We?re an animal-friendly family ... She?s a bit of a princess. She?s beautiful to look at,? Ms Perceval said.

?OK, she?s an expensive cat ? but she?s our cat.

?It is quite difficult to part with her.?

This is interesting too ...

The majority (more than 73%) of Herald Sun readers asked ?would you sell your cat for $140,000? have answered the same way I would: No. And that?s despite the fact I?m really a dog person with two adored kelpies, currently no cats.

For me, a pet is a part of the family not just any other chattel like an outdoor setting.

For many people the kind of affectionate and uncomplicated relationship they have with their pets is nothing short of life sustaining. I think the very least you owe a pet for the happiness they bring is a bit of loyalty.

Of course it?s complicated ?
(article originally posted by fokas)

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...more-than-500000/story-fndba8uq-1227091560432

Buyer snaps up Mt Evelyn house with goat for more than $500,000
IF including a cat in a house sale bumped up the price by $140,000, how much is a house with a goat worth?

Quite a lot ? particularly on a large bushy block where mowing is a big task.

Boris the goat was the latest pet to be included in a house sale contract when 26 Borang Ave, Mt Evelyn, sold. He keeps the lawns trim at the 4453sq m property
------------------------

I think im going to include my pet cockroach in my next sale

I think im going to include my pet cockroach in my next sale

You might be able to get them to pay higher by saying you'll take'em with you for a better offer, otherwise they stay in the house :D.

Pet goat... I thought they're classified more as livestock/farm animal than pet? (forgive my ignorance, and no I don't eat goat)

I don't understand what people are getting upset about? Who would be stupid enough to say no to selling their cat for 140K? It's just a cat, you can get another one (for FREE, even!) and sock the money away in a high interest bearing account to be used specifically to pay for the new cat's food and other amenities. Win all around.

This house came with spiders

Family forced to leave home after 6,000 spiders came pouring out of walls

The last thing you?ll want to hear after moving in is that the wiring needs to be redone ? or that there are 6,000 brown recluse spiders living in the house with you.

Unfortunately, one family was forced to handle the latter second situation after moving into a home in St. Louis. They?re now suing the previous owners for failing to properly warn them about the infestation.

According to STL Today, Brian and Susan Trost bought a home for their family in a western suburb of the city in 2007 and noticed that they weren?t alone almost immediately after moving in.

She said, ?It was shortly after we moved in they started bleeding out of the walls?.

The Trosts called an exterminator to deal with the poisonous pests, but their efforts were in vain. After a year with no results, the family filed an unsuccessful insurance claim (a spider infestation isn?t considered ?physical damage?).

But, they successfully sued the previous owners for A$542,000, after proving in a civil court that the previous owners knew about the problem.

I'd be getting a private ruling from the ATO before anyone from Somersoft starts claiming cat food and trips to the vet as a tax deduction... :)

I don't understand what people are getting upset about? Who would be stupid enough to say no to selling their cat for 140K? It's just a cat, you can get another one (for FREE, even!) and sock the money away in a high interest bearing account to be used specifically to pay for the new cat's food and other amenities. Win all around.

Not sure what cat owners think, but I would not sell my dog for $140k.

All you folks who wouldn't sell your pet for $140K. I bet you'd think twice if there was really an offer.

If not then at what price? Everything is for sale .....

What if you were hungry and your kids had no shoes?

I sold 8 puppies once for $800 each. Guess that makes me the worst kind of monster :) got me a flat screen TV with some of the money too :)

All you folks who wouldn't sell your pet for $140K. I bet you'd think twice if there was really an offer.

I sold 8 puppies once for $800 each. Guess that makes me the worst kind of monster :) got me a flat screen TV with some of the money too :)

the key difference is, that your puppies were breeded for sale,

the puppy hasnt formed a bond with you, and you havent formed a bond with them as a parent (other then a AWWWW that is so cute bond)

I wouldnt sell my pet for $140k

there is a higher chance id sell my kids when they are being brats for $14

I wouldn't sell either of my cats for 140k. They're family, you don't sell family.

However, I doubt that the buyers paid an extra 140k for the cat. The vendors likely threw in the cat as a smarmy, cutesy closing tactic but I doubt it added too much to the sale price. It's a glorified version of the used cars salesmen throwing in some fluffy dice to bring the deal to a jovial close.

Our old dog is 15 years old & there is no way I would sell him for all the money in the world. Our puppy however......that is a different story!! Nah, not really. Choosing to have a pet is a commitment for life.

I reckon I might think twice, and the answer is still no

Well, then I'm the irresponsible person who get a dog when I can't afford it. He might be better of the new owner.

Kids has no shoes? they can walk without and strengthen their feet...:D and people ask why I don't want to have kids.

Back