Crack found on wall, should i be worried?

I have signed a contract to purchase a two-level townhouse. During the building inspection yesterday, a crack found on the garage wall. The inspector suggested i get a structural engineer to have a look. He said although he thought it might be no big deal, but "a crack found on the wall" is all he could say in the report.

The agent said the owner had a structual engineer inspected it 3 years ago when she purchased this place and it was just cosmetic. But she has looked in her place could not find the report.

It is the weekend. I will have to wait until Monday to find a structual engineer, while waiting anxiously, i would like to hear what you guys think? Should i be worried? For the cost of getting a structure engineer to look at it, should the owner cover it?

I have the "subject to building & pest inspection" clause in the contract, if i feel uncomfortable about this, could i pull out without loosing the deposite?

I am not sure whether it is relevant. But the sliding door of the build-in wardrobe in the room on top of the garage has some issues. It seems the track of the sliding door is not straight, the middle bit is lower. The building inspector did not check the wardrobe. This only occured to me this morning, this sliding door problem might caused by sinking of the floor, which could be related to the crack in the garage.

The cost of the structural engineer report could be very cheap compared to the cost to rectify major structural defects. I think it is a wise investment if you are in doubt.

If there is a defect detected in the structural engineer report, you have the piece of mind knowing you walked away with a far cheaper bill than that what would have cost for repairs. Alternatively, you could use this as negotiation to secure the property at a heavily reduced price. Enough discount to pay the repair bill + a little bit more for the inconvenience.

The seller is not responsible for any costs associated with your due diligence research.

The agent said the owner had a structual engineer inspected it 3 years ago when she purchased this place and it was just cosmetic. But she has looked in her place could not find the report.
have em contact the engineer and get a copy, ours keep EVERYthing for ever.

We are seriously considering giving up on this property. Even if the crack is small right now, chances are it might develop in coming years and become a hurdle when we come to sell it. It could be a burdon on my mind.

Body corporate records might have some mention, I deal with this issue regularly. Last engineers report for a standard brick house was $880 and delivered on a 7 day turnaround, you can request an extension of the building & pest deadline just as you can with finance.

Impossible to say what's the best choice for you without having more information, even the engineers are likely to heavily hedge their advice unless it's a crystal clear example which is something that's likely to be obvious on a quick visual look anyway.

a) Withdraw b) proceed c) proceed with discount of contract price. Weigh up each option carefully in line with your goals for the property.

Thanks Andrew_A for the cost and time frame info of a structural engineer report. I would really hesitate to spend that money knowing it is possible just throwing the $880 away.

I have talked to a couple of friends. Both of them had the experiences of cracks found in a property, but their building inspectors told them it was not a problem to be worried. While in my case, the building inspector insisted that i should get a structural engineer, which makes me believe this is really a big issue. I will probably talk to my conveyancer on Monday to cancel the contract.

Good move...listen to your heart. If you are not comfortable with the purchase..don't ignore 'it'.

I once made an offer on a house and did all B&P and wiring inspection (it was an older house and supposed to be for my daughter). Bld report came in with similar tone to yours and problems were noticed on opening windows, door, moving floor boards etc..considered to be related to the movement under the house.
The building inspector called me verbally after he did the inspection that I would be buying a problem and would be having trouble selling it in the future. So I took the verbal advice. The written report was more subtle.

We cancelled the deal through our solicitor...and he just said in his fax to the vendor's solicitor: 'deal off - adverse building report' no question was asked afterward.

The agent however asked us if we would reconsider it with price adjustment. We said no, thank you.
The house still there unsold until now..the price has dropped by $40K........

so, listen to your heart..
MKP

Thanks Andrew_A for the cost and time frame info of a structural engineer report. I would really hesitate to spend that money knowing it is possible just throwing the $880 away.

I have talked to a couple of friends. Both of them had the experiences of cracks found in a property, but their building inspectors told them it was not a problem to be worried. While in my case, the building inspector insisted that i should get a structural engineer, which makes me believe this is really a big issue. I will probably talk to my conveyancer on Monday to cancel the contract.

maybe give the building inspector a call and discuss how serious the problem is. building inspectors have an obligation to inform you about every problems.. and often problems sound much worse than they actualy are.

usually over the phone, you'll get a more "realistic" view. generally, its not as serious as the report implies

Just an update on this, today the structural engineer inspection was carried out and it turned out to be good. The cracks are cosmetic, nothing serious to worry about. The REA and owner covered the $770 bill for the inspection.

P.S. I did call the building inspector on Sunday to ask his opinion and did not actually get much info instead of "get a structural engineer".

structural engineers carry a significant amount more insurance than a building inspector, hence they frequently recommend a further inspection. I had one b & p done that listed 27 other trades that it recommended i check with......

Just an update on this, today the structural engineer inspection was carried out and it turned out to be good. The cracks are cosmetic, nothing serious to worry about. The REA and owner covered the $770 bill for the inspection.

P.S. I did call the building inspector on Sunday to ask his opinion and did not actually get much info instead of "get a structural engineer".
They are all paranoid about covering their liability, perhaps with good reason, so good luck pinning them down to a definite statement :)

Back