Cracks in render - is this serious?

Hi SS team

I have looked at a rendered property and the building reports say minor cracking. However upon closer inspection, it was quite clear and the RE lady says its to do with the way the bricks were laid.

My question - how serious can this be or can it be re-rendered / fix? down the tracks? The cracks are at the external window ledge and minor spider cracks in the back wall.

I have researched render in this forum and on Ana's site but nothing on maintenance on render..

Many thanks

Hi SS team

I have looked at a rendered property and the building reports say minor cracking. However upon closer inspection, it was quite clear and the RE lady says its to do with the way the bricks were laid.

Many thanks

The question you really need to ask yourself is: Would you trust a real estate agent?

In my experience it has little to do with how bricks are laid and more to do about the footings, the type of soil and if the footing type suited the soil conditions.

How old is the home? If its not old check the local council for engineering specs......

Look the cracks maybe nothing but satisfy yourself there are no major structual issues.

Most homes at some point may crack here and there, move or whatever...its the nature of the many soils contracting and expanding especially clay soils which affect homes generally.

Best option if your serious about buying this property is to find a very good building inspector and have him inspect....

It may just be the best money you will ever spend...

Chances are it maybe nothing to be concerned about but take the above advice seriously, have an inspection done or included in your contract and make sure the contract clearly says "to the satisfaction of the purchaser" with regarding to the building inspection..

The question you really need to ask yourself is: Would you trust a real estate agent?

Best option if your serious about buying this property is to find a very good building inspector and have him inspect....

I agree that you undertake a Building and Pest report to ease your own mind.

When a brick house has structural cracks,I tidy it up with render ;)
The render is not the problem,it is whats under it:D

dont lie Pa1nter, you use sikaflex mate, c'mon own up to it now! lol

ive never seen a painter mixing mud in my life! ever!!

prove it c'mon, need photographs of you mixing mud on a job site :)) and without a beer in the other hand...

nice effort if you do however! id be impressed greatly...a painter mixing real mud? life never ceases to amaze me....:)

dont lie Pa1nter, you use sikaflex mate, c'mon own up to it now! lol

ive never seen a painter mixing mud in my life! ever!!

prove it c'mon, need photographs of you mixing mud on a job site :)) and without a beer in the other hand...

nice effort if you do however! id be impressed greatly...a painter mixing real mud? life never ceases to amaze me....:)

You were saying? :D

Attachments

• rendering.JPG
    rendering.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 148
Nice one painter LOL! ask the re lady that knows every thing what she would do? and if the bricks were laid wrong would the vendors want to reduce the price :rolleyes:

Im still not convinced with that pic.....all i can see is white...no mud present.....i think your applying no more gaps actually :)

sweet!

Im still not convinced with that pic.....all i can see is white...no mud present.....i think your applying no more gaps actually :)

sweet!

No you are in a fashion technically correct,
However it is an acrylic 2mm trowel on polymer render,
Render does not always come looking like mud.

I don't personally like render (Mud) as it soaks up the moisture,but I still use it on the cheaper jobs and fix ups. ;)

Thank you all for your input...
The building report was skimpy and listed the cracks as minor. The more distinct ones were on the 3 xternal window ledges, not on any main wall.

I will have this check out.

Guess I will never know what is underneath a render but it is a popular trend. I will still have to find out of render maintenance - do u re-render ? or scrape it all off or once render forever rendered??

Back